Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 19:43   #16

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Dead run on Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanSand View Post
I read in Multihulls world about an australian couple sailing their Helia 44 on a transat. They claimed something like; "Once we hit the trades, we hoisted our parasailor and 14 days later we lowered it again in the caribian seas. We used it day and night, and just eased out on the sheets to let it fly higher whenever the squalls came. Worked like a charm!"

That was not a verbatim quote, but to me that was the gist of their story. Don't think they even hoisted the main...
these guys listen too much parasailor sales people and were lucky that time. How will you tame such big sail when bows start to get a bit burried in larger than normal wave train ? It like one where 25 kg anchor is not holding good enough but with 33 one sleeps tight
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 20:31   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
How do you fuse a sheet on a spinnaker when you sail a cat ddw?

b.
My guess is that the majority of folks don't know how to fuse a sail (hell, I'm out of practice). As well as the fact that fuses on sails typically imply some pretty high standard working loads on the sail to begin with. And I know that that's not something which most CF members are up for doing with spinnakers. Running them with such loads I mean, as usually those kinds of loads are measured in tons.

That said, it's possible to fuse the spinnaker's tack, which is more of the norm anyway. In terms of fuse placement. If, that is, by fuse you're referring to a loop or other piece of cordage designed to break, loudly, at a certain load. So that when the crew hears it blow, they know it's time to take the sail down. Since the blowing of the fuse is a signal that the sail is approaching the load limit which you don't want to exceed with it.
And then there's the multi-fuse trick...

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:19   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450

Just made up a (approx 6m) whisker pole to experiment with pole-ing out the jib on our 450 - worked ok crossing the med this year - but was it worth the hassle? Well much of our sailing is just to break the monotony and give us something to do. By the way how do you put two jibs on the one furler? Might try to 'gull wing' for the trans Atlantic next year.
gstent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:23   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
My guess is that the majority of folks don't know how to fuse a sail (hell, I'm out of practice). As well as the fact that fuses on sails typically imply some pretty high standard working loads on the sail to begin with. And I know that that's not something which most CF members are up for doing with spinnakers. Running them with such loads I mean, as usually those kinds of loads are measured in tons.

That said, it's possible to fuse the spinnaker's tack, which is more of the norm anyway. In terms of fuse placement. If, that is, by fuse you're referring to a loop or other piece of cordage designed to break, loudly, at a certain load. So that when the crew hears it blow, they know it's time to take the sail down. Since the blowing of the fuse is a signal that the sail is approaching the load limit which you don't want to exceed with it.
And then there's the multi-fuse trick...
Thanks.

I am not fusing ours and so I take it down at night or when the wind approaches 20kts and I go off watch.

At times I feel like having the kite up at night as my crew is a keen helmswoman BUT I would hate to leave her alone with the kite and a gust pressing too much.

I think on a cat there can be another thing that it will not broach but rather bury the bows.

Can one capsize a cruising cat like that btw? Or will the sail just blow up?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:57   #20

Boat: lagoon 400s2

hi rabbi, how did you set up the two genoas on one roller furler ?
jugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:00   #21

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugga View Post
hi rabbi, how did you set up the two genoas on one roller furler ?
Double luff groove.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400