Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-12-2013, 02:56   #1
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Davit Capacity

Hi All
I am aware that the davits state 250kg's but can this weight capacity be trusted??

I am look at a tender with a weight factor of approx. 400lb's (it will be tied down well) and is required due to back issues, hence my need to know the true capacity...

Does anyone know what the true capacity is?

Thanks
Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03111a.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	72878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03113a.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	72879  

Old 29-12-2013, 03:19   #2

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Re: Davit Capacity

In the film/documentary "Hold Fast" they used a set of dinghy davits to step a mast from what I think was a 30ft boat. The davits looked similar to yours and the mast was a heck of a lot heavier.

Old 29-12-2013, 05:16   #3
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
Hi All
I am aware that the davits state 250kg's but can this weight capacity be trusted??

I am look at a tender with a weight factor of approx. 400lb's (it will be tied down well) and is required due to back issues, hence my need to know the true capacity...

Does anyone know what the true capacity is?

Thanks
Wayne
Just be aware that the carrying capacity is the least of your worries , a 200kg dinghy will exert significant shock loading. You need beefed up davits supports , possibly brace poles etc. think what might happen if the whole lot got a belt of a wave. Also ponder the effect of the combined weight of davit and dinghy hanging of the back will do to the dynamics of the vessel.

Dave
Old 30-12-2013, 00:16   #4

I would think that the davit capacity shown is the max usable davit capacity. There is no mention in the label that the capacity depends on sea state, weather conditions, etc. I have to believe that the manufacturer factors in a safety margin (similar to chain SWL and breaking strength) to account for more extreme conditions. If not, things will be breaking left and right.

In other words, if you stay within the posted capacity, you should be fine, or you have a valid warranty claim.

If you do not believe, or agree, with the manufacturer's label, the manufacturer is the best entity to answer your question. People can argue all day but who can you really trust?

I have the AB 11 AL (172 lbs) with factory bow aluminum storage (? lbs), dealer installed shorter & lighter fiberglass console and seat (? lbs), and a 20hp Honda outboard (110 lbs), 3 gallon fuel tank (25 lbs full), small battery & other minor stuff. So far, so good. I am guessing that the storage and console/seat weigh around 70 lbs. By the way, 11'6" should be the max dinghy length for the 450, in my opinion.

P.S. I've had a couple of glasses of wine and I am tired...
Old 02-01-2014, 20:12   #5
TOT

Hi All
Thanks for the comments and it is a hard choice as l know what l want and what l need but still a little concerned about the weight factor....
Old 02-01-2014, 20:42   #6

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Hi TOT

As I "read" that label that would be 212kg's per davit or am I not reading it correctly. So with a 400 Lb dinghy you should be well within limits.
Also as boom23 said check with manufacture they should be able to tell you where the weak points are, maybe it's just the blocks.
Old 02-01-2014, 20:46   #7
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Davit Capacity

Can I ask how davits carrying close to 200kg are actually secured to a presumably GRP yacht ?

How is the dinghy lifted , I don't see lifting strops or handles, are they electric ?

Dave
Old 02-01-2014, 21:44   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

The sticker in the first pic clearly states "maximum load per davit 467 lbs.". I think you already have a 2-1 safety factor here. Those are some beefy davits.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 00:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Can I ask how davits carrying close to 200kg are actually secured to a presumably GRP yacht ?

How is the dinghy lifted , I don't see lifting strops or handles, are they electric ?

Dave
There is a winch on the port side, manual or electric, which services both davit arms and a clutch on each arm. Once the dinghy is raised, the clutch holds the lines it in place. You can also tie the remaining rope on the stern cleats for extra security. I use the dinghy bow line and an extra stern line to keep the dinghy from moving around while sailing.

I have a manual two speed winch and it works great! Even a kid can raise my dinghy. If you want easier, go electric but I like the exercise.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:50   #10

Boat: 38' French Cat

From what I have seen its not usualy the davit that fails, its what the davit is mounted to..
Old 04-01-2014, 07:25   #11
TOT

Is anyone sure if the maximum load capacity is for the pair of davits or really per individual davit??
Old 04-01-2014, 14:26   #12

Max Load total both davits 550lbs
Max Load one davit 467lbs

It's on the sticker.

Lagoon sells a pretty heavy dinghy for the 450. Ask your dealer.
Old 11-01-2014, 22:37   #13
TOT

Hi All
I found this article on Lagoon Inside and it outlines the davits weight clearly, it is NOT per davit but per set....

How to choose your car? | Lagoon Inside
Old 11-01-2014, 23:33   #14

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

400 pound dinghy! I sometimes think you guys are nuts! My dinghy weighs close to 160 pounds if I leave the engine on and i still think its too heavy. What kind of shock loads is the grp going to see when the boat is in short choppy seas? How about big waves? 400 pounds being accelerated up and down for long periods of time is going to take its toll on your attachment points and you better have some massive backing plates. What happens if you forget to pull the drain plug and it rains hard? How much does a dinghy full of water weigh? Do you like your catamaran to sail? How is the balance with 400 pounds hanging off the back, never mind "Maybe thats not such a big deal I just looked up the max displacement on the 450....wow! What about launching a dinghy that weighs 400 pounds when the tides gone out? Are you always going to be tied to a dinghy dock where thats not an issue? There has got to be a better solution.
Old 11-01-2014, 23:52   #15
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
400 pound dinghy! I sometimes think you guys are nuts! My dinghy weighs close to 160 pounds if I leave the engine on and i still think its too heavy. What kind of shock loads is the grp going to see when the boat is in short choppy seas? How about big waves? 400 pounds being accelerated up and down for long periods of time is going to take its toll on your attachment points and you better have some massive backing plates. What happens if you forget to pull the drain plug and it rains hard? How much does a dinghy full of water weigh? Do you like your catamaran to sail? How is the balance with 400 pounds hanging off the back, never mind "Maybe thats not such a big deal I just looked up the max displacement on the 450....wow! What about launching a dinghy that weighs 400 pounds when the tides gone out? Are you always going to be tied to a dinghy dock where thats not an issue? There has got to be a better solution.

Anchor Buddy.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: