Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 07:55   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop
Cockpit seating

As I visited the Lagoon stand at Boot 2016 in Düsseldorf, I wondered a bit about the lack of seating in the new 42.
Hopefully, the attached photo shows the cockpit table on the 42 and the fact that along a large portion of the table, there are no seats.
The same seems to be the fact with many large cats.

How do you cope with this, esteemed Lagoon owners? Our present 400 has a U-formed sofa that works really well and the 450 we have ordered is quite OK, but how to arrange for better seating?

One suggestion from a salesperson was to have folding chairs like on motor boat. But that feels a bit "non premium" on a boat that costs €500K

Regards,
Anders
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160124_120112577_iOS.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	117884  
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:20   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Cockpit seating

Usually a couple of matching stools are optional. We have one on our 400. The helia has a similar setup with a long storage seat which is a pretty good idea. Catana and similar use the folding chairs which is ok as well, but I'd prefer fixed with storage or stools with storage. The L400 seats 6 for dinner, 8 at a pinch I guess if we bring the stool out, but table space is pretty limited. The L450 has a similar setup to the 42, whereas the L440 has the wraparound ala L400. Any configuration wouldn't really be a deal breaker unless seating more than 4 regularly for dinner is a high priority. I guess the table size gets to increase in that layout so it's swings and roundabouts..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:44   #3

I'm not a Lagoon owner, but on a large cruising catamaran, I prefer chairs that are not fixed in place, especially compared to long bench seating at the dinner table. So, the part of that photo that you see as a detriment, I see as a benefit.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:50   #4

Boat: TBD

You need to flip your boat the other way, so the mast points up.
Old 29-01-2016, 09:57   #5

Our older Lagoon 42 had little seating in the salon. But we almost never sat there anyway. Always in the cockpit. Had thanksgiving in the cockpit once with 14 cruisers!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 14:30   #6

I think OP is referring to lack of cockpit seating, not saloon.

This is a common feature in many newer designs, I think it is hoped that customers will be drawn to the "uncluttered" look.

A neighbour's new Nautitech Open 40 has a similiar cockpit seating arrangement. On this boat, seating on the inboard side of the table is accomplished with a few folding timber chairs. These are in teak to match cockpit flooring, so look part of the boat. These chairs would need to be safely stowed in anything other than short, protected passages. They would occupy storage rather than provide storage as built in seating does.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 14:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
I think OP is referring to lack of cockpit seating, not saloon.

This is a common feature in many newer designs, I think it is hoped that customers will be drawn to the "uncluttered" look.

A neighbour's new Nautitech Open 40 has a similiar cockpit seating arrangement. On this boat, seating on the inboard side of the table is accomplished with a few folding timber chairs. These are in teak to match cockpit flooring, so look part of the boat. These chairs would need to be safely stowed in anything other than short, protected passages. They would occupy storage rather than provide storage as built in seating does.
He showed a pic of the interior!

Old 29-01-2016, 15:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
He showed a pic of the interior!
Stand on your head and take another look.
Old 29-01-2016, 15:46   #9

Yep , you're right. I thought it was the salon. Is pretty small compared with old TPI Lagoon:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cockpit6.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	117906  

Old 29-01-2016, 16:14   #10
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by afriis View Post
As I visited the Lagoon stand at Boot 2016 in Düsseldorf, I wondered a bit about the lack of seating in the new 42.

Hopefully, the attached photo shows the cockpit table on the 42 and the fact that along a large portion of the table, there are no seats.

The same seems to be the fact with many large cats.

How do you cope with this, esteemed Lagoon owners? Our present 400 has a U-formed sofa that works really well and the 450 we have ordered is quite OK, but how to arrange for better seating?

One suggestion from a salesperson was to have folding chairs like on motor boat. But that feels a bit "non premium" on a boat that costs €500K

Regards,

Anders

It looks a lot smaller than the L450 as we can sit 8 at the tableClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1454112852.139991.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	117907

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 29-01-2016, 16:52   #11
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
Don't you know that once cat flips over it stays that way.

Oh noooooo now i've done it
Old 29-01-2016, 17:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep , you're right. I thought it was the salon. Is pretty small compared with old TPI Lagoon:
The TPI looks bigger, the guests better looking and smiling, and the boat right side up!

The OP's photo was taken in Germany....... ( I'd better stop right there.)
Old 29-01-2016, 17:34   #13

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
No, its the right way up. That boat is designed for the southern hemisphere. Thats what our boats look like down under :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 11:58   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop

Here's the cockpit of the 450 to compare with. And I do hope that this image is shown right side up, otherwise I'll blame Steve Jobsand his minions for refusing to use standards in anything. If anyone has an idea of how to switch orientation of the pictures, please tell.

Yes, if you read the caption of the original post, you might see that I was referring to the cockpit.

We have regularly been sitting 8 people around the table in our 400 and the 450 table seems slightly larger as well as the sofa. As we like bringing guests, we like to have plenty of seating.

The stools in the cabin are nice as they offer both seating and storage. But they can't be moved outside as they are fastened to the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160124_112520257_iOS.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	117990  
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 14:34   #15

Don't worry too much about the orientation, as it gives us something to joke about.
The photos are getting better but still have quite a list to port!

The stools supplied with our L400 ( not S2) are not permanently fixed, they have a retractable plastic pin in their base. It locates into recesses (holes) in the sole to secure the stool but can be retracted so the stool can slide or be moved. They have non waterproof upholstery so are only be useful for short stays in the cockpit.

Tags
cockpit