Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 07:25   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Carrying an Ultralite on a Lagoon 440?

I design and market light aircraft(Paraventure 210 motorized paraglider and the Powerglide Lite trike).

I also have a Airborne Edge with a Mountineer Mentor 220 wing and a Polaris flying RIB...I have gone thru two wings and a J&J seawing trike frame within 2 years time due to salt related degradation when operating near the ocean(J&J are junk to start with and fly like a brick)!

I know that the Airborne is made with Moly as opposed to Aluiminum for the frame but it still wont hold up as well as stainless,which is why Polaris is made of stainless...

I started a Hangliding school in Guam in 1991 and within 1 years time all wings had to be scraped, even with daily maintenance! For my Airborne trike and wing I have resorted to oil filled tubing and this seems to keep the oxidation to a minimum but the salt in the air is a constant problem and I don't fly it on pontoons!

The Polaris is better suited for ops on the water IMO than any other LSA out there that I have seen. I think the Airborne line of products is the best all around trike out there,but I would talk to the guys at Airborne about a wing that was built with a seawater environment in mind if it is to stay on the boat most of the time. We had to fresh water wash our wings every day and they were still oxidizing before our eyes. I keep my wing at the mast when it is used a lot and when not I reduce it to the short pack and keep it hanging from the top of the cabin trunk below. I have also converted the forward cabin into a small machine shop where I can do a complete final fab. of both the light trike and the Paraventure 210.

I have a true,aircraft assembly plant in a 32 foot sailboat! All parts and initial fab. are done at my land based shop but I can store and assemble(final) on the boat ..I can store 4 complete paramotors and one lite trike in the forward vee berth(4 Solo 210 single cyl. 14.6 hp engines and 1 Rotax or Kawasaki twin cyl 40-50 hp engine.

My trike frames are designed to fold down into a very compact size and weigh less than 200lbs complete ready to fly with the Solo and a 2.58/1 reduction,a little more with the bigger engine..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 20:48   #32

Boat: Still doing research...

Here's a solution to your storage problem. Combine both your microlight and the dingy together. Problem solved!

Old 23-12-2012, 22:17   #33

Boat: 50 Bene

My Wife and I are also planning on carrying a micro light on board our cat which we should be purchasing in the near future. We are looking at a L400 or 420. check out the following website

www.flyinginflatableboats.com

Here is a link to a vid of one hopefully it works

Not sure if the original company is still building them but I have flown one and it is a blast. Way better and safer than a traditional trike on floats. We flew one off of heavy chop in Punta Cana and it performed very well. We took the wing off and it is a very fast airboat due to the new LSA category in the US certification is a bit harder but not impossible

Hey Tropicalescape could we hang a dink under a large paraglider wing? I'm just getting into this kind of flying so not sure is possible The aircraft I'm used to are a bit heavier about 200,000 lbs heavier

Cheers Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 04:12   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Unfortunately Micro lights are banned over here (in truth not so much a ban more a case that aircraft regs not changed to deal with them).....meself has always fancied a Gyrocopter - I blame James Bond!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 04:18   #35
Marine Service Provider

David, where are you located that they are banned?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 04:44   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
David, where are you located that they are banned?
Old Jersey

(the small Island off the coast of Northern France. Old France ........being so close to France is part of the reason for the "Ban", our Air Traffic Control area not so big to play with, plus probably the cost of picking folks out of the sea! outweighs the benefits to any rules changes).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:30   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
My Wife and I are also planning on carrying a micro light on board our cat which we should be purchasing in the near future. We are looking at a L400 or 420. check out the following website

www.flyinginflatableboats.com

Here is a link to a vid of one hopefully it works

Not sure if the original company is still building them but I have flown one and it is a blast. Way better and safer than a traditional trike on floats. We flew one off of heavy chop in Punta Cana and it performed very well. We took the wing off and it is a very fast airboat due to the new LSA category in the US certification is a bit harder but not impossible

Hey Tropicalescape could we hang a dink under a large paraglider wing? I'm just getting into this kind of flying so not sure is possible The aircraft I'm used to are a bit heavier about 200,000 lbs heavier

Cheers Will
I think this would work ...I have a Mac Paratechnology Diamond 40 meter tandem Paraglider that has a useful load of 500 lb, taking off on water could present some problems, but it has been done with long fiberglass poles to hold the wing up out of the water..there is a powered parachute for sale that does this on Barnstomers.com under the parawing section,belive it is called a Seawing...this company didnt go far with this product as it looks a little strange with the large floating disk like wheels a very ugly and bulky..
Old 24-12-2012, 08:36   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Old Jersey

(the small Island off the coast of Northern France. Old France ........being so close to France is part of the reason for the "Ban", our Air Traffic Control area not so big to play with, plus probably the cost of picking folks out of the sea! outweighs the benefits to any rules changes).
I never thought much of the islands that you live on until I watched a special on PBS about the "Queens peculiure possestions"(sp?) Gurnsey,Jersey and... Holsten? just kidding,looked like a nice place to visit, Ahh the Channal Islands I belive they are called..

Tags
lagoon