Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 08:19   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241
Broken boom fitting

The goose neck fitting that attaches to the mast has broken on our L380 #241.

It appears that the screw that was retaining the pivot pin has unscrewed & snapped the side of the casting.

Has anybody got any idea where & how I can source a replacement? I am going to try to source someone locally who could possibly fabricate a replacement in stainless steel.

Any help would be appreciated as I need to fix this asap, as we are now living aboard & sailing down the east coast of Oz.

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 13:44   #2

Re: Broken boom fitting

You appear to be heading Towards Townsville try contacting these people.
the fitting could be repaired.

Rosshaven Marine
17-19 Sandspit Drive, Townsville Marine Precinct, Port Of Townsville QLD 4810, AustraliaPhone: 07 4772 6392

Fax: 07 4771 4337

A/H Mobile:
Chris Helps: 0439 722 888
Richard Grace: 0418 188 028

Email:
info@rosshaven.com.au

The new agent for Lagoon in Australia is

The Multihull Group
John Cowpe
0405 409 686
02 8294 4144

Sourcing original will probably take longer.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:45   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you can't get what you want, as in an OEM piece, you may be able to find a good substitute via a Spar Manufacturer. Especially if you know what mast tube section you have, & thus it's key dimensions.
You can peruse a lot of their catalogs online, if you're so inclined.

Although, it might be worth the time & effort to look into a custom gooseneck. Assuming that you can find someone to build you one.
You'll get both, better; materials (metal quality), & design.- And, it would let you incorporate a lot more features (ease of use, + more functionality) as well.

Just my $0.02

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 02:54   #4

Unebelievably, the boom is now fixed.

I can't believe our luck that as soon as we hauled out the boat at Norship Marine Port Hinchinbrook (as previously planned for anti-foul etc), I explained to them the problem with the broken fitting. They said don't worry we'll get Tony Katefeides to take look, he's brilliant.

All I can say is that Tony is a magician. At first he said cast aluminium is not able to be welded, then he had a look & saw that is was coarse grain & said straight away I can fix this. Evidently fine grain is a no no for welding, but coarse is OK.

Two hours after we pulled all the parts off the boat he has not only repaired the broken bits but, re-jigged the way things were to avoid future problems & has made everything stronger in the process. He has removed the silly grub screw & welded the hole shut, & drilled & tapped another where it can't cause problems, drilled out the hole larger for the boom bolt to take a larger bolt & stainless sleeve, turned up some delrin packers to take away the excessive axial play of the boom etc.

How lucky are we that this guy was here when we needed him.

Check out the after fixed photo.

Neptune has blessed us today.

Dave
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
Old 14-10-2015, 04:26   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

No better feeling than finding a competent technician, -- in any field.
Old 14-10-2015, 05:20   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
Unebelievably, the boom is now fixed.

I can't believe our luck that as soon as we hauled out the boat at Norship Marine Port Hinchinbrook (as previously planned for anti-foul etc), I explained to them the problem with the broken fitting. They said don't worry we'll get Tony Katefeides to take look, he's brilliant.

All I can say is that Tony is a magician. At first he said cast aluminium is not able to be welded, then he had a look & saw that is was coarse grain & said straight away I can fix this. Evidently fine grain is a no no for welding, but coarse is OK.

Two hours after we pulled all the parts off the boat he has not only repaired the broken bits but, re-jigged the way things were to avoid future problems & has made everything stronger in the process. He has removed the silly grub screw & welded the hole shut, & drilled & tapped another where it can't cause problems, drilled out the hole larger for the boom bolt to take a larger bolt & stainless sleeve, turned up some delrin packers to take away the excessive axial play of the boom etc.

How lucky are we that this guy was here when we needed him.

Check out the after fixed photo.

Neptune has blessed us today.

Dave
I don't want to ruin your post but we change dozen of those booms goosenecks fittings and I don't think weld it and fix it is the right solution in the long run, the point is they are undersized and low quality , you need to fit in the pin Teflon or plastic washers otherwise expect bad wear in the lower portion of the fitting in short order and eventually a broken fitting again, if I remember well Zspar have a replacement in SS with a better quality finish but the best improvement you can do is to overbuilt this piece in SS or found other one from Sparcraft or Selden maybe,, Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 12:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I don't want to ruin your post but we change dozen of those booms goosenecks fittings and I don't think weld it and fix it is the right solution in the long run, the point is they are undersized and low quality , you need to fit in the pin Teflon or plastic washers otherwise expect bad wear in the lower portion of the fitting in short order and eventually a broken fitting again, if I remember well Zspar have a replacement in SS with a better quality finish but the best improvement you can do is to overbuilt this piece in SS or found other one from Sparcraft or Selden maybe,, Cheers.
Thanks for that. I totally agree that a custom made solution in SS would be the best long term solution, but in our current circumstances I'm happy to have found a convenient short term solution for now.

I figure that the gooseneck has lasted some 11 years till now so hopefully if I even get half that I have plenty of time to source a more permanent solution. In the mean time I know to keep a close eye on the parts.

Dave
www.sea-breeze.com.au