Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2017, 10:01   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2016 Lagoon 450F 45'
Re: Big decision time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywoods View Post
We have a lovely 2011 owners version Lagoon 380 S2 based in the Ionian and we have a fabulous time sailing her around the islands of Greece every summer.

But we are thinking about ordering a new Lagoon 42 and going over on the ARC to the Caribbean.

This would mean selling our boat next autumn and going over in 2019. It's a huge commitment but it would mean we could be away in the winter and at home in the summer rather than the other way round ... which is what we do now.

It's a lot of money to spend and a big change to our routine ... what do you think peeps !!
***Dealer Alert*** FYI, I work with the Lagoon dealer in Houston, TX. We have a new L42 3 cabin available now in France. I'm pretty sure it's the only one available new today. If you'd like the price and spec's I can send them to you. We will also consider taking your boat as a trade in. The next one is available in Jan 2019 in France, and also, Feb 2019 in Miami, USA (boat show display).

Let me know if I can help.

Chris
Houston450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 11:55   #17

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Hello Kristjan,
Thanks for the first-hand information!
What exactly did you find to be "more robust" on the 440?
Was it just the interiors or other things too?
How did you feel about night watches alone on the fly-bridge for either the 440 or 450?

Night watches no problem, in the big ocean though either one has you on the end of a pendulum if its rough, be clipped in in case you slip or fall .reef early, or get good at reefing while going downwind. The 440 doesnt creak and groan and flex as much when underway. When you’re bellyflopping across the Atlantic in February the 440 feels more solid, doesn’t shudder as much when burying bows into the water. It’s just my own opinion that the 440 is better for cruising and the 450for chartering but do research, if you can afford to get into than you can afford to book a charter with a company and maybe do sea trials on either one
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 05:56   #18
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristjan View Post
Night watches no problem, in the big ocean though either one has you on the end of a pendulum if its rough, be clipped in in case you slip or fall .reef early, or get good at reefing while going downwind. The 440 doesnt creak and groan and flex as much when underway. When you’re bellyflopping across the Atlantic in February the 440 feels more solid, doesn’t shudder as much when burying bows into the water. It’s just my own opinion that the 440 is better for cruising and the 450for chartering but do research, if you can afford to get into than you can afford to book a charter with a company and maybe do sea trials on either one
Interesting point of view but ... I own a 440 and I have sailed the 450F&S quite a few times. The 440 does creak. The 450 does too. The 450 feels like a bigger/heavier boat, not only inside, but also when sailing. I do not think one is better than the other for cruising. You are right though, wood work is much better in the older lagoons, including the 440.

The fly is a real pita in strong weather. Not because of the fly itself but because it becomes very hard & dangerous to pack the mainsail in the lazy bag should you need to.

But 95% of the time the fly is so much better IMO. Also, being used to the fly bridge I didn"t feel comfortable in harbor maneuvers on the 450S.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 08:03   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston450 View Post
***Dealer Alert*** FYI, I work with the Lagoon dealer in Houston, TX. We have a new L42 3 cabin available now in France. I'm pretty sure it's the only one available new today. If you'd like the price and spec's I can send them to you. We will also consider taking your boat as a trade in. The next one is available in Jan 2019 in France, and also, Feb 2019 in Miami, USA (boat show display).

Let me know if I can help.

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for your help

We have now placed a deposit on a new boat which we will collect from Southampton in the Uk. We want to get it set up from here and they go on the ARC in 2019 so this is the best option for us
Haywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 14:49   #20

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

we crossed over and back in our 2011 380 in 2016 to 2017. and speed record was set at 21.4 knots down a big Atlantic wave closer to Horta, that is not a safe speed for this boat, 15,17,and 19 knots was OK, 21.4 was to much. the bows was starting to digg in.
but it is a solid good boat, and safe.
saile safe, and take care.

Lagoon 380 Careka
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 23:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
we crossed over and back in our 2011 380 in 2016 to 2017. and speed record was set at 21.4 knots down a big Atlantic wave closer to Horta, that is not a safe speed for this boat, 15,17,and 19 knots was OK, 21.4 was to much. the bows was starting to digg in.
but it is a solid good boat, and safe.
saile safe, and take care.

Lagoon 380 Careka
Well done. I wonder if these cruising speeds will be replicated in any of the new crop of Lagoon models under 50 foot. At least Lagoon is still making and selling the L380, for now at least.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 01:59   #22

Wow.. I would not want to do 21 Knots in our 380 !! The new 42's seem to have faired well in the 2017 ARC so I can't see why anybody would be questioning the performance of the new boats
Old 26-12-2017, 11:58   #23

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Well done. I wonder if these cruising speeds will be replicated in any of the new crop of Lagoon models under 50 foot. At least Lagoon is still making and selling the L380, for now at least.
the 380 has been made since 1999 and still going strong. (800+ boats made)
it is a faster boat then the new 39 or 40, and even the 400. and 420, 421,
we where 5 adults on the way over , and only wife and me on the way back.
Hope they dont stop makeing the 380, but i wish the inside could need a modern look. the hull is OK:
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 12:35   #24
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Wow.. I would not want to do 21 Knots in our 380 !! The new 42's seem to have faired well in the 2017 ARC so I can't see why anybody would be questioning the performance of the new boats
The performance you can expect of a boat is in its spec sheet. Look at length (LWL), weight, and sail plan. You will see that this is not in favor of new lagoons. There hasn't been any revolution in hull shape and the weight distribution was obviously better in the older generation. There is no magic.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 12:55   #25

Quote:
I tend to agree with ROM but would be very interested to read Lars' (Careka) opinion. How did the new L39 and L42 models fair in the Catamaran Cup, compared with older Lagoon models?

I've not sailed a new L42 but have disappointing experience with the L39. The "new" L40 hasn't appeared in our country yet, but seems to be unfortunately just a minor rehash of the older L39. So it sure won't be approaching the performance of the old L380.
Old 28-12-2017, 17:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Hope they dont stop makeing the 380, but i wish the inside could need a modern look. the hull is OK:
Amen.

The 380 just needs a square settee design to modernize the looks and improve ergonomics (I can't lay down there).
And for cruisers some overhead storage in the galley and a freezer under the nav station.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 05:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Amen.

The 380 just needs a square settee design to modernize the looks and improve ergonomics (I can't lay down there).
And for cruisers some overhead storage in the galley and a freezer under the nav station.

Got to agree - it's a fabulous little boat but it really is time to sharpen up the looks if they are going to keep making it.

I think Lagoon expected the 39 to replace it but it looks like sales have not been up to expectations and the 380 is still selling.
Old 29-12-2017, 06:09   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Big decision time

For serious cruising the 380 is my favourite among Lagoons.. for a variety of reasons.
The larger flybridge ones are fine for posing around the islands but.. in open oceans they are potentially dangerous from this seaman's stand point..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 13:11   #29

Quote:
Got to agree - it's a fabulous little boat but it really is time to sharpen up the looks if they are going to keep making it.

I think Lagoon expected the 39 to replace it but it looks like sales have not been up to expectations and the 380 is still selling.
If Lagoon was to do a good L380 "S3" refurb and kept its price in line with current model they wouldn't sell very many L39/L40. It's a real shame but I fear the investment in the new L39 and its twin L40 will mean that the good old L380 will not receive a makeover.
Old 30-12-2017, 08:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
If Lagoon was to do a good L380 "S3" refurb and kept its price in line with current model they wouldn't sell very many L39/L40. It's a real shame but I fear the investment in the new L39 and its twin L40 will mean that the good old L380 will not receive a makeover.
The 380 design survived many other designs.
The hulls and overal layout is good, head and cabin designs are OK, its just a stupid saloon layout and too little galley storage.

If they changed just these details they could continue to sell this design for the next decade. That doesn't require any significant amount of investment.

The big question is: Is the small entry level cat market big enough to keep making this little gem?
Currently Lagoon own this market niche, as FP has clearly left that price bracket when they dropped the Mahe.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote