Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 03:01   #1

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Battery Warning Light

I have a Lagoon 400 S2 and it has 2 x 40 HP 3JH5E engines. When I start the starboard engine, the warning buzzer and battery warning light stays on. The tachometer shows no revs when the engine is running.

I have checked the alternator belt and that the alternator is turning when the engine is running. I have checked the starting battery (Exide Heavy EG 1102) terminals and they are clean. The voltage at the battery terminals is 13.66 volts. Each cell reads over 1.3 SG on my hydrometer.

The manual mentions a fuse that should be checked. I think it is on the engine display unit (perhaps at the back) at the steering station. I am not sure how this is accessed. Firstly I was not able to remove the display unit backwards from the steering station (I could not turn all the screws). Then I tried to look at it from the back of the display unit. I was able to remove one wall panel near the doorway to the cockpit. This did not give me sufficient access to the engine display unit. The next panel is adjacent but further outboard. It is behind a cupboard that some boats use for a microwave. It looks extremely difficult to take off.

Can anyone tell me what I could do next? (Obviously I am trying to avoid calling the Yanmar dealer.

Thanks
Brian Rodwell (wintering in Cartagena)
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Battery Warning Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rodwell View Post
I have a Lagoon 400 S2 and it has 2 x 40 HP 3JH5E engines. When I start the starboard engine, the warning buzzer and battery warning light stays on. The tachometer shows no revs when the engine is running.

I have checked the alternator belt and that the alternator is turning when the engine is running. I have checked the starting battery (Exide Heavy EG 1102) terminals and they are clean. The voltage at the battery terminals is 13.66 volts. Each cell reads over 1.3 SG on my hydrometer.

The manual mentions a fuse that should be checked. I think it is on the engine display unit (perhaps at the back) at the steering station. I am not sure how this is accessed. Firstly I was not able to remove the display unit backwards from the steering station (I could not turn all the screws). Then I tried to look at it from the back of the display unit. I was able to remove one wall panel near the doorway to the cockpit. This did not give me sufficient access to the engine display unit. The next panel is adjacent but further outboard. It is behind a cupboard that some boats use for a microwave. It looks extremely difficult to take off.

Can anyone tell me what I could do next? (Obviously I am trying to avoid calling the Yanmar dealer.

Thanks
Brian Rodwell (wintering in Cartagena)
you could try drill out the screw heads,start with a very sharp 3mm hss bit then work up till the head comes off.

alternatively give john snow a call on 0034 659323243 highly reccomended.
Welcome to "one stop yacht care" Based, Cartagena, Spain.(+34)659 3232 43 - English
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:32   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

Brian,

I doubt the problem is in your engine control panel. Your problem may be with the field circuit for that alternator. If there is no excitation voltage then the exact symptoms you describe will result. Look closely at the alternator for the field wire terminal. That wire probably has an inline fuse. Check the fuse and look closely for a break in the wire. Then if there is an external regulator follow the troubleshooting instructions for that. You may need a voltmeter.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Brian,

I doubt the problem is in your engine control panel. Your problem may be with the field circuit for that alternator. If there is no excitation voltage then the exact symptoms you describe will result. Look closely at the alternator for the field wire terminal. That wire probably has an inline fuse. Check the fuse and look closely for a break in the wire. Then if there is an external regulator follow the troubleshooting instructions for that. You may need a voltmeter.
+2
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:07   #5

Boat: Rinker 24

Put me down as +3 with transmitterdan and atoll, without knowing more it sounds like a bad connection, broken wire or burned fuse somewhere. Start at the alternator. I suspect the cable from alternator to battery is good as if it was bad you would have a tach but no charging.

In regards to getting out stuck screws, get a cheap magnetic tip screwdrive that takes 1/4" replaceable bits and then clamp a set of vise grips to it down by the bit. I try to always use a new bit when dealing with stuck screws.

Now with one hand push the driver pretty hard into the screw, and use your other hand on the vise grips and turn. Sometimes it helps to try and tighten it just a hair to get it to move, then loosen. A tiny spritz of penetrating oil never hurts either. Once it starts moving do not stop until it is out, if you pause inevitably one will seize up on you at some point, and it will be either an irreplaceable screw or in a difficult spot to fix...

Good luck!
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:10   #6

Boat: Rinker 24

Also, another approach is to just use a ratchet wrench with a 1/4" socket and put your bit in that. You probably have that on hand already.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:29   #7

Is the other engine running? It sounds like the alternator field is not engaged.. this may be due to the other engine providing voltage and the non working alternator sensing it doesn't need to be on.... if that makes sense. What kind of battery switching do you have? Can you isolate two banks one to each engine?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:57   #8

Since the battery warning light/buzzer is on that pretty much rules out another charge source. My bet is the regulator or field wire/fuse. No tach usually means there is no excitation field.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:42   #9

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I'm pretty much with the others that it sounds like the field circuit is open due to a blown fuse, corrosion or some other reason. Anyway that is probably the easiest and least expensive alternator circuit to fix.
You don't say what type of Yanmar engine nor what type of instrument panel. I have a 4JH4-AE with the type C panel. I've attached a picture of the back of this panel and highlighted a 3A automotive fuse. Don't know if this fuse affects the field circuit (the Yanmar wiring diagram is very difficult to follow), but that is the only fuse I can see on the back of this panel. Hope this helps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	InstrumentPanelBack.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	89498

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:49   #10

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

That is the sort of thing that I could check. The manual mentions '3A' for the fuse.

The problem I still have is that I can't easily take out the display unit moving backwards vis-a-vis the boat (it has been suggested that I drill out the mounting screws) and I can't easily get to see the display unit from inside the cabin (some of the panels on a Lagoon 400 are difficult to remove). I am prepared to go ahead with either approach but would like confirmation of the particular direction that is likely to be most successful.

Thanks
Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 16:17   #11

Brian,

What you have described is not normally a problem with the instrument panel. If the engine starts the panel is almost certainly ok.

The problem is down at the alternator somewhere. Take a picture of the back of your alternator and post it. Maybe we can figure out which wire you should check. Do you have a simple colt meter with test leads?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:19   #12

Sorry about my spell checker...volt meter is what you may need.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:03   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

I would be chasing this as a warranty issue with Yanmar as I suspect the engine would be still in the warranty period.
If you still want to access, you will find Lagoon has sealed the instrument panels in place with some type of adhesive, I had to cut it out with a Stanley from the rear, there will be some removable panel from inside saloon. You could also remove chart plotter at helm station if you have one, to gain access from above.
Good luck
Old 12-10-2014, 09:01   #14

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

I believe our tachs get their signal from the alternators, if your tach is not indicating your alternator would be the first place to go.
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:09   #15

You need to know if you have an internal or external alt. and how it is wired. And know what wire is what and how to use a volt meter

if the alt is not "on". (Reason for battery light). A dead tach is normal. As tach is commonly taken from alt

If your battery light is on I suspect the panel is ok. This means the alt cct is getting 12v and the alt is grounding it. Meaning the wire . Circuit is ok. if you had no light, no tach, and no charge. Then I'd be digging into panel

Though I'm confused why you have over 13v. do you have both engines running? Still on shore power? Solar? Run the engine with every other engine / charger off and measure again.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery