Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 16:51   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Boat: Lagoon 380
Posts: 8
Images: 1
"Auxilary" Switch on Electrical Panel

Hello! We sorting through the intricacies of our new boat, but we can't figure out the Auxilary switch on the electrical panel. We've tried to isolate every system, but we can't seem to determine its purpose or isolate the circuit. Anyone know its purpose? It's a 2010 Lagoon 380.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auxilary.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	148510  
__________________

Navasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 20:30   #2
Registered User
 
sparrowhawk1's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami Beach Fl
Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Posts: 1,613
Re: "Auxilary" Switch on Electrical Panel

Axillary is just another name for extra. Unscrew your panel and see if anything is attached to the switch, if not( or see if you can find wires going from it into maybe the engine room that don't go to anything) it's just for when you expand and want to add things.
__________________

sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 21:06   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Posts: 9,045
Re: "Auxilary" Switch on Electrical Panel

Do you have any 12volt "cigarette lighter" sockets? They are usually hooked up to an "auxiliary" circuit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 15:50   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,563
Re: "Auxilary" Switch on Electrical Panel

In our boat the switch activates a pin in one of the wire connectors behind the switch panel but that pin had no corresponding wire.
Maybe it's for some option that we don't have
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 23:22   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boat in Greece, Beach cat in Israel
Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat
Posts: 979
Re: "Auxilary" Switch on Electrical Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
In our boat the switch activates a pin in one of the wire connectors behind the switch panel but that pin had no corresponding wire.
Maybe it's for some option that we don't have
As a standard - the 'auxilary' breaker is not connected to anything by the factory.
It is a spare breaker for connection by the user as he needs to an extra system he wants to install and control from the main electric panel.
Some builders provide more than one free breaker. Lagoon provides one..
__________________
Mark, S/Y Bat-Yam
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,563
Re: "Auxilary" Switch on Electrical Panel

Another case of: RTFM !

I just read the 380 S2 manual and the section about the electrical panel says that the auxilary switch is for "comfort (waste water pump)". I suppose they are talking about electric toilet pumps.

We don't have electric heads so our switch is not connected to anything. I ordered the required Mate-n-Lok pins to add to the connector so we can use this switch for our outside fridge.

I had to order a few Mate-n-Lok pins anyway as I have to fix another connector on the panel: the switch for the steaming lights activates the instrument lights instead!
The steaming lights are wired to the sailing nav lights instead, and from what I can see this was not messed up afterwards but a wiring mistake by the factory...


The previous owner obviously never figured out that something was wrong - or just did not care at all
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:14   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boat in Greece, Beach cat in Israel
Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat
Posts: 979
Re: "Auxilary" Switch on Electrical Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Another case of: RTFM !

I just read the 380 S2 manual and the section about the electrical panel says that the auxilary switch is for "comfort (waste water pump)". I suppose they are talking about electric toilet pumps.

We don't have electric heads so our switch is not connected to anything. I ordered the required Mate-n-Lok pins to add to the connector so we can use this switch for our outside fridge.

I had to order a few Mate-n-Lok pins anyway as I have to fix another connector on the panel: the switch for the steaming lights activates the instrument lights instead!
The steaming lights are wired to the sailing nav lights instead, and from what I can see this was not messed up afterwards but a wiring mistake by the factory...


The previous owner obviously never figured out that something was wrong - or just did not care at all
Latest Lagoon operate steaming and navlights by a single 3way switch. Either only navlights to one side or both steaming and navlights to the other. The old standard method of activating navlights by one switch and steaming lights by another was discarded. Yours seems some confusion of the old and new methods together.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:30   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,563
Re: "Auxilary" Switch on Electrical Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Latest Lagoon operate steaming and navlights by a single 3way switch. Either only navlights to one side or both steaming and navlights to the other. The old standard method of activating navlights by one switch and steaming lights by another was discarded. Yours seems some confusion of the old and new methods together.
Ours is a 380 S2 with the modern switch panel made by Scheiber, with navlights & steaming lights operated by a single switch.

The steaming light wire is (together with the other nav light wires) running to the nav light side of the switch, and the instrument light runs to the steaming light side of the switch.
That was the factory install, as its clearly visible that the wiring has not been modified. Just a plain mistake, but the PO obviously ignored it for years.


Nothing to worry about, just another part of the puzzle that the PO left behind. He was very French... so much that non-functional electrics and electronics did not bother him at all.
__________________

rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cal, electric, electrical

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers" sailorboy1 Dollars & Cents 11 14-06-2019 11:45
For Sale: Misc. Electrical goodies...solar reg, nav light, remote battery switch, garmin BassMonkey Classifieds Archive 2 08-07-2015 02:22
float switch far away from pump... should I use the neg side for the float switch? felipe Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 13 02-02-2014 13:20
General Electrical Design Cable Switch phmadeira Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 15 10-03-2012 06:55
BlueSea Dual Switch w/ ACR v. 1-2-B Switch Maddog Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 0 13-07-2009 14:56

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.