Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 03:21   #16

Re: Anyone Want to Share Their Experiences With Lagoon's High Booms?

Dear Frank;

First and foremost, thank you very much for your kind and detailed post. I couldn't agree more on fly bridge helm position, I'm already a huge fan of that. Afterall, view is one of the most important pleasures on sailing, so that could just be defined as "the best seat in the house" anyway... The only problem -or missing detail from perfection- for me would be a secondary helm station with sail controls like on Chris White designs or Gunboats.

I'm planning a traditional circumnavigation first, perhaps round South America instead of Panama but that's doubtful. So sail plan really does not worry me at all. Plus spending more time on the way is actually more appealing to me.

Last but certainly not least, I agree to your comment on political correctness with all my heart...

Best Regards;
Mehmet
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12   #17

By the way, forgot to ask, how many miles can I expect per day downwind on trades?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:17   #18

Boat: Lagoon 440

All things are averages nothing certain. Check out the RC website at elapsed time for distance travelled, fairly sure they are trade wind timed HOWEVER the seasons are seeming to get later and more unpredictable.........A bit better than half wind speed is fair enough, BUT once again you need to trim and reduce drag ie folding props...
Cheers
Old 09-06-2012, 06:02   #19

Sounds good. I'm planning on folding props with on shaft alternators anyway...
Old 09-06-2012, 06:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
Sounds good. I'm planning on folding props with on shaft alternators anyway...
MMMMMMmmmm not sure a folding prop works with an alternator?
Solar is the way to go, once bought it's free power. A wind generator backs it up and you don't put wear and tear on machinery....
Only my opinion.....Cheers Frank
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53   #21

Wind generator and solar panels are primary choices. This is just for overkill. And for folding mechanism, I'm planning for variable pitch models, so that I can go between no drag and electricity generation mode as I want, since wind turbines will be next to useless on passage for trades.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:19   #22

So with sail drives how do you get an alternator to attach? Shafts i can understand quite simple BUT i don't see your line of thought with saildrives?
Passage times are a small amount of cruising life, you spend much more on anchor... Frank
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48   #23

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Hi Mehmet, I don't have any info, but the boom height freaks me out. Surely it would have been simpler to hang the main upside down?
Oh god, I LOVE some of the comments this forum can produce, that made me laugh!!

I know what you mean Mehmet. I'm currently helping a friend of mine choose a decent cruising cat' with a view to purchase early next year and me skippering it for him and i've told him NO LAGOON 440's etc with that boom. Quite frankly, I find the idea of a flybridge on a boat like that ludicrus as it's antisocial and a right PITA when mooring as you've got to manouver her from there, then run down a flight of steps to do a stern line instead of simply stepping to one side and throwing it on a more conventional setup. Add that to the fact that it means the boom is 5ft+ off the coachroof and the whole idea seems just daft.

Someone said 'cats dont heel', er, excuse me? A large cat' wont be at the silly angles that a mono will for sure but the sea is a wobbly place and it can throw the odd wave or swell at you that can easily knock you off balance. If that happens while up on the steps on one of those things, it would be quite un nerving to say the least.

No, i've told him 'a 420 or smaller please', or a Fountain Pajot or similar that have their booms lower along the coachroof.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:13   #24

As far as I know, 560 has shaft drive, so attaching an alternator should not be a problem. I'm planning to order a throttle unit right at the stern in order to avoid running up and down while docking.

I still have my doubts about the high boom position, however, a flying bridge is the main reason that I prefer Lagoons. Besides the obvious super star cats like Gunboats and Atlantics, I believe flying bridge is the safest place to be while on watch (I especially hate the "on the edge" positioning of sterns on Catana's for example.)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21   #25

Ok sorry i just never realised you were going for a 560 there is one at KREMIK Marina here and i gotta say thats one hell of a big boat, the stair to the upper deck is a spiral staircase, how many crew full time will there be on board?

Wouldn't have thought there would be too many boats of that size generating power from their props, the size of the deck you could have a couple of Kw in solar panels!!!

Here was me thinking you were going 440 or older 470?
Cheers Frank
Old 11-06-2012, 04:36   #26

Dear Frank;

The lion in my heart is an old Gunboat 48 or -if I decide to go all alone as a couple- a Lagoon 450. However, I'm planning to invite my family and friends throughout the whole voyage and use the boat as a floating home afterwards, therefore 560 seems interesting.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:46   #27

Check out the older 470's they are a nice boat, the 560 is two big in every direction to allow comfortable and confident short handed sailing......... Sadly people are keen to join initially but as reality strikes they usually find other things to do, Just an observation where commitment scares people as against the romantic idea of flying down to Aruba to join ship.... Cheers look at the 470 lots can be done to modernise.
Cheers
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02   #28

This may sound weird to you, however, the problems that come with the upkeep of a bigger boat (except monetary ones of course!!!) are the things that attract me. At the moment, I'm stuck in my office (although I'm quite comfortable here) and day dreaming about washing the whole deck first thing in the morning or trying to figure out a way to open a stuck bolt with a cup of coffee. I was always a tech freak but my nautical geek is even more out of control! As for people's commitments, I'm planning to use the guest cabins for storage in the long run anyway!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:09   #29

Nothing weird there, email me on,,,,, mail frank @ mail . com ,,,,, i'll send you piccies of our trip.
Take care Frank.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16   #30

Glad to see I'm not the only one!