Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 19:19   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Anyone install a fridge/freezer in the cockpit of 380

Saw some on the Yahoo group, but looking for more details and wondering if anyone with a 380 has put in a fridge or freezer. Specific areas I am looking at would be

1. in area to the stb side of steering in the storage locker going into the salon.
2. where the icebox/cooler chest is under the seat aft of the galley.

I can replace the cooler with an electric one vs one that uses ice, and that might be the simplest, but it is a PITA to get to drinks as you must make anyone sitting there get up, open the locker, open the icebox, take out the can, and reverse. I was possibly thinking of cutting a hole in the top of the seat, and at least you wouldn't have make people really move too much and open the seat.

Was also thinking of a drawer refrig from isotherm in either place.

Really looking for an easy place to get drinks/snacks without having to go into the cabin, and also supplement storage.

Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 10:56   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPierre
Re: Anyone install a fridge/freezer in the cockpit of 380

I appreciate this is rather a later reply, but I have installed a dometic freezer in the box on the starboard side just outside the main cabin door. It works well and I have it set to -13 in Panama.
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...x-35w-_-137965
Regards
Old 16-01-2018, 07:07   #3

Thanks. I was looking at these (several manufacturers). I assume you are talking about the stb side when going from the cockpit into the cabin, where there is currently just a large non electrical cooler?

If so, how did you wire it? Drill thru into the area under the sink? What breaker if any did you tie this into?
Old 16-01-2018, 07:32   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to OldPierre

I already had a 12v cable in there. not sure where it feeds from as I haven't needed to trace it, but it enters the box from the hole behind the lock catch.
Hope this helps.
Old 16-01-2018, 10:12   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380

We have a Waeco 35CFX, that runs on 12 V and on 220V when we have shorepower. Like it very much.
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 10:42   #6

just curious how well it fits under the lifting seat. the cooler it came with seems to fit well, I wondered if you brace the refrigs both of you put in. There was another thread maybe on the lagoon forums where a fridge was put in under the steering station on the port side going into the cabin. I like that option alot as you don't have to lift (hence ask people to move) the seat. I had also thought of putting in a slide out refrig into the well under the lifting stb seat. It would be smaller, the ones they have just can hold like 12 cans, but you wouldn't have to lift the seat. More work than just purchasing an electric cooler and putting it there....
Old 23-01-2018, 03:42   #7

Our previous owner converted the ice box under the cockpit seat into a fridge.

I need to look up the exact type but he used one of the Danfoss BD35 units. The evaporator is simply screwed into the ice box, and the BD35 sits in the saloon under / behind the oven. Ample space there and short runs for the cooling lines, but the heat goes mostly into the saloon.

I connected it to one of our Victron MPPT solar controllers and its turned on only if the battery voltage is above 13.x Volt (can't remember the exact figure).
The fridge runs as soon as there is some source of power, either solar or the engine is running. We always have plenty of cool drinks (mildly cool orange juice in the morning, but ice cold beer in the afternoon)

But its a pain to get at the drinks!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, freezer