Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 02:27   #31

Boat: Hanse 348
re: Anyone actually living on a Lagoon 42?

I cant find it now, but in the refridge thread, there is one about using standard home fridges. They say it works great. Based on that, I was looking at putting in a dorm sized fridge freezer top bottom sized one. Supposedly way more economical to run, just off of inverter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I was thinking about replacing the fridge with freezer compartment to a fridge only unit, hard to find something adequate, because it is not a standart residential size. I doubt any camping / marine units are any better and they are insanely expensive.

Another option would be to replace the top loader freezer by a residential combi tower, far more space, but I am a little afraid about how this will behave in rough seas. There are units with internal drawers that may be sufficient to keep the contents in place. Second concern is the mechanical stability of the compressor and evaporation unit of residential units, they are made for stationary use and to keep them silent, not to keep them in place in rocky waves, also the access to the helm wiring and winches will become more painful, you would have to remove the fridge to dismantle the roof panel.

But I would love to have no-frost gear, that defrost itself.

The A/C is permanently causing trouble, especially the 220V water intake pumps. And they use a lot of valuable storage space.

If I could configure it freely, I would add only one A/C unit with a flap to switch between owners hull or the salon and would also add a diesel heater for water and as furnance.

Especially if you think about cruising also outside of the tropics belt, an adequate furnance is a necessity.

You can use the A/C as heat pump, but only when in the water, a separate heater can run also on the dry and is far more efficient.

As I said, I do like the genny and it's size, despite the fact that it takes up a big cockpit locker. I guess, if you are going for a diving compressor, you will need either a generator or a compressor with its own gas engine. In this case a diesel generator would be more versatile.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 16:49   #32

Boat: Lagoon 420, 42’
re: Anyone actually living on a Lagoon 42?

Close...we have lived 5 years on our 2008 lagoon 420 owners version. At a marina since we were still working full time up to this fall. Now doing the final electronic upgrades and solar install for full time cruising on the hook hopefully in the spring. We love our boat and have worked out details/set up to work for us.
EW-WE is offline   Reply With Quote