Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2017, 14:07   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Any issues with thru hulls

Posted this in another forum, will give text, see link for videos, don't want to burn storage space on this great site...

Reposting here as want to know if any other lagoon owners have seen this issue.

Warranty claim or not on thru hull/seacock? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Long story short, brought my boat from winter storage to summer place yesterday. Started working on systems, turning things on etc.

Got to a thru hull for refrig and salt water sea pump. Went to turn it, but it wobbled. See video. Said ok, let me tighten nut, but looked at nut and 1/4 of it was missing. Sent video to yard manager, who called me right back and said, turn around and come back immediately, this isn't good, you need to be out of the water.

Now the issue is, I bought this boat new at the 15 Annapolis boat show, brought it to storage where it sat for the winter 15/16. Then the boat was day sailed only about 25 times last summer, then put up on the hard for the winter.

I can't imagine this thru hull should fail like this at 1.5 years, and 25 times sailed.. The yard manager thinks that it is not a bad installation, but rather bad product. He will know more when he takes this out. Also, not sure if you can see on the other photo, but the thru hull/seacock next to it locking nut is cracked. Not just as bad as the loose one. But clearly this has to come out as well.

Also, if anyone knows about thru hull issues with Lagoon, pls let me know. Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 21:41   #2

Boat: 450S
Re: Any issues with thru hulls

It's possible both nuts are from the same (defective) batch but I would suggest rare to fail at the same time. Environmental effects would seem a likely contributing factor, get your dealer to look at them before doing anything if that is safe. My boat is too new to compare but a friend had wobbly sea cocks on his L500 but a much older boat to yours.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, thru hull