Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 07:52   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
All Navigation won't switch on

Hi, Yesterday while motoring (no wind at all in mid Adriatic) I was receiving consistent "Loss of AIS" "No GPS input" alarms on my Raymarine Hybrid touch screen. These usually resolved themselves in seconds (sometimes ten or more though) and at no time did the autopilot disengage. Then without warning all the navigation screens (including the autopilot) turned off. They remained blank for about 3 minutes then all came back on simultaneously. They stayed on for maybe 45 minutes then crashed again. (this happened once more maybe an hour later). After each restart (which I did nothing to initiate) the autopilot flashed a message "Unexpected hardware restart". We docked for the night and shut everything down.
This morning however none of the Navigation screens (the Hybrid, two smaller raymarinps and the autopilot up in the flybridge and the ray marine screen at the nav station) will power up. I have new batteries in the house bank and have been on the generator all day. The navigation breaker light in the electrical panel is on, the fuse in the panel is good. I took the cowling off the panel in the flybridge and the small ray marine box inside that takes the cat 5 cables has a small led light that is off.
Any thoughts? (besides get an electrician)?
Cheers
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:10   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: All Navigation won't switch on

Have you checked your ground(Negative) wiring sounds like it could be broken c/corroded connection. Also check all wiring closely could also be broken strands inside the insulation I found that just last week on a corded drill.
Old 25-06-2017, 08:36   #3

Thanks Glenn, Will do?
Old 25-06-2017, 16:52   #4

This can happen as wiring get loose from vibration or corrosion. Undo each terminal or plug (including any fuse holders) and inspect for telltale corrosion, clean with sandpaper/wire brush etc, spray with electrical contact cleaner (or even WD40). The terminals and plugs you will need to examine are in a few places: under flybridge console, behind the chart table console, under the mast post in the salon (access panel behind seat back), the breaker circuits in lower electrical cabinet and maybe the cables that connect some raymarine gear in the upper electrical cabinet.

IF you have left salon windows open, rain or sea spray can puddle and drip down on the electrical cables underneath the woodwork, if so this needs drying out.

If you have a multimeter you can check voltages at the console to see if it corresponds to voltages on the electrical panel. With engines/generator running this should be 12.5V or more. An alternative to check if it is the instrument cluster itself is to run (through a fuse or breaker) a direct pair of wires from the battery to the power cable. If this works then you probably have a cable join issue.

Try direct positive first and then direct negative to see if it is a positive of negative connector, then direct for both.

An exercise in patience and persistence!
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 16:57   #5

One further thought, you may have a DC - DC voltage regulator somewhere in the system (ours is behind chart plotter console) this may be playing up or have loose connectors
Old 26-06-2017, 00:56   #6

Have you added any new electric equipment at the nav chart area? I found that to be a problem and had to run another electric cable to boost the power output there.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 01:34   #7

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I have been head down tailup following wires and chasing connections. But now am awaiting an electrician.
Old 26-06-2017, 03:52   #8

If you are going to get an electrician it might be worth asking him to install some heavier duty cables to feed the flybridge console, and or putting in a DC DC voltage booster. We found that after about 8 hours of night sailing with radar and auto pilot on that when we came to use an electric winch the power drain managed to close down all the Raymarine gear. Our battery bank maybe a bit tired or we too have a loose connection. So until we get to the bottom of it need to use winch in manual mode.
Old 26-06-2017, 04:57   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Someplace in the boat there will be a Bosch style cube relay that switches the power for the whole system. These are prone to both connection issues and in some cases relay failure. The switch at the panel that says navigation actually triggers this relay. Get out your manual from Lagoon and trace it down.

jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 07:53   #10

Thanks Jay. I have the manual and am searching!
Old 26-06-2017, 09:05   #11

Might sound stupid, but just check nothing is covering the GPS node which on my 450 is just in front of salon window port side.
Nicklaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 09:12   #12

No nothing appears to be covering it. Cheers
Old 28-06-2017, 09:48   #13

Just thought I would post a conclusion to this problem, hope it may help future travellers down this path. Captain Jay, you were spot on. The problem was indeed caused by a small black relay hidden in the bowels of the boat. It took two electricians over an hour and a half to trace it down as the cause, even with schematics. In our case the rascal was down in the house bank battery bay under the starboard rear bed. It's mounted on the rear wall of the compartment and is a black box (about the size of a regulation ice cube) on a white fitting. The relay (black) comes off with considerable effort and can then be pried open to reveal the copper workings inside. The electrician used fine sandpaper at some of the moving parts and brought it back to life.
Today we replaced it with a new one for about $25 Aud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4318.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	150837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4317.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	150838  

Old 28-06-2017, 12:47   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Good to know, thanks for posting a resolution to this.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 22:27   #15

Location: Sailing the Mediterranean for 5 years and now sailing in USA

Hats off to BlackDuck & CaptainJay for resolving this I too have had this intermittent problem and can now resolve it -thanks guys
riv33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation