Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 05:38   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Advice for our first time med mooring with an anchor on a quay

As we have worked our way east in the Mediterranean we have figured out the med mooring process with laid lines and can now do that without any relationship ramifications. However we are about to make it to Greece and other places further east where laid lines are less common. We have never dropped our anchor while backing to a town quay and want to see if we could get any advice from those of you that have on your catamarans.

I assume it goes something like this:
1) Drop the anchor and release enough chain to allow it to hit bottom at an appropriate distance from the quay (not sure how to figure out what is an appropriate distance here...)
2) back up towards open spot on quay while letting out anchor chain.
3) set anchor against windlass (no bridle) before you get to the quay to make sure it is set.
4) Once it is set let out more chain as you back the remaining distance to the quay.
5) the anchor chain should not have any (or much) slack in it because that could allow you to bang into the quay if wind or surge picks up. It should be taut.
6) No bridle should be used because I'm not sure how you would attach it and manage the distance to the quay for the passerelle.
7) throw lines ashore to tie off the stern.

8) Turn off engines and pour a celebratory drink.

What am I missing or over simplifying?
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:17   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Advice for our first time med mooring with an anchor on a quay

Hi Kenny. Yep the bridle can make things tricky so best to skip it, but don't back down on the anchor with the pressure on the windlass. Take the weight of the chain onto a cleat or chain stopper. Drop the anchor s far as possible from the dock, up to 60m even if the scope is 10:1, but often you can't get it out that far. Use your mooring lines for stern lines and usually return them to a cleat onboard so you can slip them easily on exit.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:30   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380

Hmmm, I was wondering if I should have installed a chain stopper this winter. And the forward cleats on the 380 as you know are on the outside of the hulls so pulling down on them would get me all askew at that angle in addition to the fact that would but the chain on the hull. I guess I could use an extra chain hook somehow.

I also will need to check my windlass manual, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see a build in chain lock or anything.

I don't like putting the pressure on the windlass, but when the bridle is removed from the situation I'm not sure I have an alternative right now.
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:07   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes Kenny. A couple of options , a chain lock, on my shopping list as well, or clip the bridle on 8m from the dock and hope you got it close, or use your spare mooring lines as a bridle so they are adjustable at the foreword cleats, or tie the chain with a short strong line that's made off to the hull/rhode attachment inside the chain locker. You could rig the last option before and it's probably the easiest option, just run it out the hole with the chain and tie it off when the chain is taught, then let the strain off the windlass. I like to be at least 1.5m off the dock in those situations and use a 2m plank to access the dock.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 18:11   #5

Step #1 in Med mooring: line up your boat exactly in line with the gap you intend to moor in. Sometime the boaties on either side will give you "advice" . They are trying to avoid crossed chains. Exact alignment will reduce crossing by maybe 50% or even more; depends on skills of alongside boaties. Reverse confidently and with some speed to ensure that you have good flow over the rudder and also minimise effect of wind from the side. Use your windlass clutch if you have one to freely release chain but not without regulation. Drop the anchor at least 3 boat lengths out from the quay. The more exposed and windy, the further out the drop. When you are only a few metres from the quay and between boats, put tension on the chain and keep reversing firmly against the anchor. Tension on the chain can also help when there is wind from the side. Put engine in forward to stop rearward movement if necessary, tension the chain, then keep some reverse as you step off to tie off or get help to do so. when the boat is tied up, put the motor out of gear and use the windlass to trim for exact distance from the quay.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 09:00   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop

I don't know about the 380, but the 400 has a central cleat that can be used to tie a rope down and I use a soft shackle to connect the rope to the chain just for these events.
Otherwise, tie two ropes to the soft shackle (or use a metal one).

/Anders
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring