Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 19:00   #1

additional freezer L440

hi

We have a lagoon 440. I came with an ice maker under the outside sink behind the right hand door. the other door already occupies a fridge. we were thinking of installing another freezer to fill with fish etc and additional food for when we cross the pacific. has anyone installed a freezer in this space? If so what make and model did you buy.

We are a 220V boat being from europe.

Cheers

Yollata
YOLLATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: additional freezer L440

[[Full disclosure: I am the owner of Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration.]]

Regardless of the type of system, making sure the box is properly insulated will be your most important task. We have installed cold plate systems in several cockpit boxes, the latest being a SeaWind Cat. If you don't have at least 3" of quality insulation maintainig the freezer temps to properly freeze fish and keep ice cream frozen will be a challange from an energy usge standpoint.

You mention your boat is 220v, but I would recommend looking at a 12v DC system that can run from your batter bank rather than something that can only run while the generator is running.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29   #3

Just to add more detail. Sorry but I was rushing out the door to happy hour ashore. The ice maker has died. We disposed of it and now have a space to fill. We want to buy a freezer unit, not build one from scratch so was interested if anyone has purchased a freezer for that space, if so what size make and model.

Hey SV third day. Have you installed a freezer into this space? Do you have units that will fit?

cheers

YOLLATA
YOLLATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 08:24   #4

I am a freezer engineer and life on my boat for several years. The best is to have a top loading freezer, and the most reliable once you get is the engle, loose standing units that work on 220 and 12 vdc. My one is 12 years old and never missed a beat. They go down to -22c , had it in the coxpit in the sun even and keep everything froozen.

The are cheap and you dont have to spend money on instalation. Just get a plug for 12 and 220 installed.
Morne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer