Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2015, 16:33   #31
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: 6,000M Lagoon 400 S2 review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post
Could you answer a few questions on your outfit choices?

1) Do I read correctly you have no generator at all? Does the Solar suffice generally for your power needs?

2) How much battery power do you have; just the factory install? AGM?

3) Do you intend to put in any heating or A/C?

Thanks for your time.

Yes we have no generator. We have 1150W solar, 2 additional 140Ah flooded lead acid batteries for a total of 840Ah (factory supplied 4 140Ah. The solar is more than enough for all our energy needs, although crossing the Atlantic we started to get low mid crossing and ran the engines for one hour at night to top up. Mainly because of a lot of cloud and a lot of shading from the parasailor, as well as over using energy by running a lot of appliances 24/7 ( laptop, radar, plotter, 2 fridges ) and using close to 20Ah continuously. Next crossing we will be more conservative with power. Apart from that crossing we usually have full batteries by mid day.

We just have a small portable heater for marina use. I don't think we've ever used it. We did buy a small portable Aircon last week for occasions where we are in a marina and want to keep the saloon a bit cooler for our dog if we go on land trips. It's 8000 btu. I tested it on the inverter after buying it and it ran well, using about 20 amps with the solar putting in the rest, so we could effectively use it at anchor, but haven't ever found a need for AC at anchor.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 16:35   #32
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
3jh5e with sd 50, fuel consumption is less than in your chart. at 3000 is 8.5L and not 11L.

Presume you attached wrong chart ?

Thanks, yes perhaps I did attach the wrong chart. Yes big difference in higher revs, not a good idea to be 3000 rpm for too long!
Old 15-05-2015, 16:42   #33
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abgreenbank View Post
Hi Monte
I ordered a Jeanneau 50DS just over a year ago, i chose the raymarine ev400 autopilot option that was advertised as a change for 2014. The invoice from Jeanneau specified a spx30 autopilot. I questioned this with Jeanneau and was informed they didn't install ev400 autopilot. I then sent them the flyer the dealer forwarded from Jeanneau detailing the 2014 electronics changes, and they said yes we will install the ev400, they did and it's great. It's just a pity you didn't realise the changes before delivery, and the Beneteau group should not use the small print cop out in the way it did with you.

Very informative review but not sure if I am ready to turn to the dark side.

Luckily I managed to have SD60 saildrive fitted, but expected SD50 saildrive!

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Yeah it's a pity about the AP. I probably had the same flyer. I don't think I had any information on the AP at handover and as the badge was removed from the AP it was easy to miss. I think the night after handover I was trying to check it and only found the clue by checking the plotter input configuration.
I did also confirm before delivery the SD 60 would be installed and checked that as well. Fortunately they weren't using up old stock of SD 50's as well...
Old 16-05-2015, 22:09   #34

Boat: FP Elba 45

Hello Monty, excellent report really enjoyed reading it, and my experience has been much the same although my L400 was delivered on a container ship to Melbourne. I was most interested in you Parasailor, tell me will the snuffer sock
if you have one fit in the foreward storage locker, also I would and I imagine other L400 types would like to read more of your thoughts on the Parasailor, what level of difficulty raising and lowering with or without the snuffer for one person? what size did you order? would you recommend one. In the latest Multihull World magazine I see a Australian New Zealand distributor advertising the Parasailor. Did you find the fresh water wash solve the jib problem?
Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L400unloadedsmall.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	102228   Click image for larger version

Name:	L400unloadedsmall2.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	102229  

Name:	L400unloadedsmall3.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	102230  
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 10:26   #35
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 6000M Lagoon 400 S2 review

Hi Peter.
Yes a wash of the jib furler has made it run a bit smoother thanks!
About the parasailor. I plan on doing a review at some stage with pictures and or video of our setup as theres not a lot of information available online on setting up Parasailors on cats. Regarding your questions:
When the parasilor is in its compression bag it fits in the forward locker next to the windlass. Ours is a 125m2. For the L400 you have a choice of 110m2, 125m2 and 140m2. The two other L400s we crossed the Atlantic with had 140m2. We are happy with the 125m2, I doubt there's a huge difference in performance. We usually use the bow locker to store the Parasailor when not in use. It wont fit when its in its compression bag, but will in its sock, the socks collar just fits in. When using it for longer passages we sometimes clip the compression bag to the trampoline and jsut drop it into the bag there.
The sock works well, quite easy to set and douse in any conditions once you get the hang of it. Its only usable with the sock as all the lines and wing mean it cant be handled any other way. All is very good quality material and construction.
Not much is needed in the way of additional hardware. I put a couple of blocks on the bow and that was all that was needed. A one hour job. The underside can be reached from the bow lockers. You will need a rear starboard winch but thats usually standard if you have the bowsprit and gennaker pack.
The Parasailor is expensive but its very nice for sailing downwind. Major benefits are, more speed, no wear on the main and jib, no movement of the boom and associated noises, great wind range (8-30kn) easy to drop when the wind picks up. For example, trade wind sailing where the wind ranged daily from 6-30kn +, we could use the parasailor most of the time and when the wind picks up or at nights, just drop the Parasailor and run along under jib alone without altering course. Using main and jib we would have had to reef, unreef more often and turn int other wind for most reefs.
Another option worth looking into is the Wingaker, a similar idea to the parasailor. Theres a youtube video of it on a L400. Ive heard good reports about them. They are less expensive than the Parasailor, but I don't think they have the same air wing. The wing really helps the PS keep its shape, especially in light winds. It acts like a big I beam.
As I said, I'll try make a video or pictorial of how we set it up, run the lines and set and drop it which should help explain, along with some performance data.

Monte
Old 17-05-2015, 12:58   #36

Boat: Lagoon400S2-2017, nr 530

Hi Monte, like many others, excellent review, many thx. We are about ordering a 39 due to the innovative rig, pointed out earlier, but are now turning towards the 400s2 again due to the space and interior and your positive performance data. Would be interesting to know if you considered the 39 and why not? Cheers/ Tobbe from Sweden

Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 13:23   #37
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tobe I haven't been on a L39 and briefly considered it, but on looking at the specs decided against it. Storage and liveability seems to be similar to the 380. Price and sail area between the 380 and 400, but weighs more than the 400 (if the specs are correct)
It is however lagoons newest design style, along with the 52. As I said I haven't been aboard or sailed a L39 so I can't comment on real life experience, just from what the specifications and layout plans show. CF member 'Django' has spent a bit of time on the 380 and 39 so he might be able to give you his thoughts on it.
Old 17-05-2015, 13:47   #38

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Chartered a L 400 S2 owners version in the Whitsundays a couple of years ago.

Found it excellent for a live aboard couple, easy to handle and plenty of room for guests.

It was during the cyclone season and we had rough windy and at times squally weather and I found she handled rough wind against tide with aplomb.

My partner who was nervous about the conditions loved it.

We did a impellor on the genset and whilst waiting for service and diagnosing the issue I was not so impressed with the bilge plumbing. Was also not particually impressed with the refrigeration. We were given a portable fridge to replace the standard fridge which was out of action.

Also felt the standard anchor winch was a bit on the light side.

I was in summary a vessel i would be happy to live on.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 14:16   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Excellent review!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 15:31   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Tobe I haven't been on a L39 and briefly considered it, but on looking at the specs decided against it. Storage and liveability seems to be similar to the 380. Price and sail area between the 380 and 400, but weighs more than the 400 (if the specs are correct)
It is however lagoons newest design style, along with the 52. As I said I haven't been aboard or sailed a L39 so I can't comment on real life experience, just from what the specifications and layout plans show. CF member 'Django' has spent a bit of time on the 380 and 39 so he might be able to give you his thoughts on it.
I love honest comebacks. I haven't done it so I can't say as opposed the I have a friend, or I have heard. Thanks Monte for the breath of fresh air.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 03:42   #41

Boat: Lagoon400S2-2017, nr 530

Thx Monte, in another post you point out the obvious, weight, sail area, etc, but as you write for the cruising boat it is the liveability which is important and that you2 (3&#128515 are out there on a 400 with the "old" rig is proving it a great choice 😃👍. I have sailed both of these boats, they are both great but different.

Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 11:13   #42

Boat: Still looking

Thanks for your very thorough and interesting review.

I thought it was advised not to sail under jib alone on the lagoon 400 as there's no backstay, but it appears this configuration has worked for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:11   #43

Boat: LAGOON 400

no, manual does not prohibit jib only.

2 reefs and full jib = NO NO.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:34   #44

Excellent review Monte,

Do you have any pictures of the teak cockpit floor?
Would you get that again?
Do you think this flooring could be easily installed later?
Is it glued on or screwed on?

I love the look of timber decks, but the added weight and maintenance kinda puts me off.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 15:37   #45
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes the teak floor is a good option. Much easier to keep looking good than gelcoat. Even if a bit messy it still looks neat. It's a bit messy here from damp but gelcoat would be horrible for us. This is the sheet type that lays on glue. It's pretty light. You can have it fitted aftermarket as well.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1431988625.253980.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	102327

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400