Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 16:40   #31

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2009), # 536
Re: 38 vs 39 vs 400

Shouldn't any reefing guidelines be based on **apparent** wind ?!

After all, that's what the rigg (and boat) 'feels'.

I'm also missing this quite important detail in Lagoon's L380 sailing instructions (which I find very weird in other respects too...).

Going 10kn @ 160° AWA in 25kn true would sure make me reef before changing course to say 110° AWA, but why destroy the 160° fun ride just because a computer calculates I would feel 25kn if the boat wasn't moving?
seelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 18:23   #32
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yeah seelka, it definitely depends on more than TWS and AWS. Sea state plays a major role as does weather conditions and route in general, coastal or crossing oceans. The problem with enjoying the sleigh ride is that at some stage you may need to come beam on and upwind into a nasty swell and 35k winds that you were previously enjoying downwind. I don't really like being hard in the wind with apparent wind over 30K (25 true)with full sail. I just know the rig is under a lot more pressure than it needs to be and also from previous experience, one reef won't effect speed much and will likely make the ride a bit smoother and safer. Downwind the sails are more likely to be feeling 17K so no big deal, unless the conditions are deteriorating and we do have to reef. This is where using the parasailor is great. No main up and easy to drop and pull out some jib without changing course.
Also there's a huge difference between 25K of damp air and 25K or dry air, I'd guess 25 of damp air is closer to 30+ of dry warm air.
Also the pressure on the sails is 4 times the windspeed, so an increase from 20K to 25K doubles the pressure on the sails, rig and fittings. Ouch, lots to think about. I guess that's why they say reef when you first think about it.
Today we had a great sail in the lee of virgin gorda. Flat water 20-25T at 50 degrees, sitting in 9K for an hour. I didn't reef but the jib was a bit more open than it needed to be and the was a slight amount if weather helm, so a reef in the main might have balanced things a bit more.
I'm not sure what the L400 manual says and I do t think it refers to app or true. Wait I'll check
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1427591974.949976.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	99624
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 18:27   #33
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

And the next bit
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1427592441.174896.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	99625
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:57   #34

Boat: L400 S2 Hull# 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Also maybe the square top main has more friction. Spray the cars occasionally with Teflon spray. Also we have a clip that we clip from the lazy jack attachment on the bag, directly to the halyard block when it's down to secure the halyard and luff of the sail. Put it on the port side as it's safer to zip the bag with the helm Bimini as a support. No need to be too neat throwing the reefing lines in the bag but always watch them carefully when raising the main to see that they're not tangled into a knot.
Monte you are the BOMB Brother....you are a plethora of information!!! I must admit that a month ago I would be reading this stuff and it was all "Greek to me". I am thrilled that after my 10 day hands on Sailing course that I understand everything on this Post.... Life is good and my love affair with sailing has just Begun....