Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 15:12   #1

Youngin' looking for adventure!

Hello fellow adventurers!

I am a 21 year old male living out in the desert of East Mesa, Arizona.

All my life I've wanted to see the world, but haven't thought I've had the means until I found this website.

I have no experience as a crew member on a vessel, but I'm eager to learn!

I don't know exactly how this forum works, as far as requirements for sailing or what-have-you, but all I need are the clothes on my back, food in my stomach, and a mentor who doesn't mind teaching a newbie how to sail and see the world!

I'm ready to hit the water, please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Caedon
Old 29-05-2015, 18:21   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 33, Columbia 9.6
Re: Youngin' looking for adventure!

Hi Caedon,

I know the feeling. I was eager like you during my college years (not much older now, 26). Two months after finishing my final undergrad university course, I set off into the world and haven't stopped yet. I come back home at times to prepare for my next journey before heading out again. Always saving money, always working towards my next big trip. Currently, that 'next trip' for me is a solo circumnavigation beginning in 2017.

I tell you this because if you're really interested in doing it (whatever it might be), your most reliable option is making it happen on your own. It will require a drastic change in your life, and chances are you will need to jump in with both feet.

My recommendation is to pick a coastal city you want to be based out of and go. I'm a west coaster, and as a sailor and city dweller can't say enough good things about Long Beach, CA (in LA county). San Diego is also beautiful. The Bay Area (San Francisco) is lovely but a bit frigid for me.

Ideally you'll have a reasonable amount of money saved up but many people have supplanted their lives with little to their name. All it takes is conviction and a willingness to live frugally until you find yourself a decent job. And yes, it can be scary - but some of the most worthy things in life often are. I'm lucky enough to be self-employed and capable of working anywhere as long as I have an internet connection and my laptop...but this was by my design and not an accident.

Once you're in your new coastal dwelling, finding rides on boats will be much easier. People are more keen to have you on their boat for a day trip here and there than they will be committing to having a long-term crew member without experience.

For example, if I read this post and you were someone living in the Los Angeles area, I'd be more than happy to have you along on my boat for a day sail. Maybe we'd become good friends, and maybe we'd keep day sailing together. And maybe eventually we would go on to sail Catalina island, or the Channel Islands, or Baja.

At a certain point you'd be comfortable enough to buy a boat of your own, and if you've been smart with your money (and with a bit of luck) you'd also be capable of doing so. And you'll sail some more, and learn more, and begin to understand your boat...and one day you'll be comfortable planning the trip you desire for yourself. Maybe when that time comes you'll want to find some crew to come along for the ride. Or maybe you'll decide to go solo. But either way, your fate will be at the mercy of your own choices and not those of someone else.

But it will start with you moving your life to a place that enables your interests. Arizona is a fine state for many things, but as far as I know, one of those things is not as a base from which to begin cultivating a sailors lifestyle.

You're at an exciting and influential time in your life, with quite literally a world of possibilities. The biggest mistake you can make right now is indifference to your situation (or putting too much faith into the wrong things, such as money and material wealth). If you know what you want, commit yourself to getting it.

I've seen an awful lot of places, and met an awful lot of people. Almost nobody has the privileges we have here in America. If you choose not to use them to your advantage, then that's on you and no one else. And if you fail then so be it, at least you can't say you didn't try.

Good luck and sorry for the long read. If you ever find yourself out here, give me a shout and we'll do some sailing.

- Jacob