Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 09:19   #1

Young Chiropractor Seeks Adventure !

Hello!

So.

I met a guy while in Puerto Rico who found a crew position on this site. I really liked the opportunities it was affording him and the experiences he was picking up. My situation is a bit different but I'm hoping to find a good fit.

I am a newly licensed chiropractor who feels that he is spinning his wheels in Central Minnesota. I don't yet know where I want to live and work and feel that travel will give me so me new perspectives to consider. I love chiropractic-- it is my passion-- and I am hoping to find a position as crew on a boat where my skills as a licensed doctor could be used. I don't really care where we go, I just want to be along for the ride.

My professional philosophy revolves around the importance of structure and how it affects the function of the body. By allowing the nervous system to work at an optimal level, we can increase the level of functionality for all the systems it controls-- essentially, every cell. It is a bit of a radical idea but when compared to the allopathic/"sick care" system inherent in the western medical model, the naturopathic/"well care"/preventative health model offered by chiropractic is much more logical. Prevention is easier to accomplish and more effective than waiting until disease and impairment arise!

I'm laid back, open-minded, compassionate and considerate. I love people and helping my patients lead healthy, happy lives is my favorite part of work. I lead a healthy lifestyle and enjoy travel, reading, music (playing guitar and listening to just about everything), nature, animals, working with children, volunteering and writing. I also make beer! Home brew is definitely where it's at.

If having a chiropractor on board is something you might find handy-- maybe for those larger vessels with several crew members who have an array of neuromusculoskeletal complaints which need some attention-- send me a message and let's get the ball rolling!

Cheers,
Saludos,
~Dr. Matt

P.S. I do speak some Spanish, tambien!
P.P.S. My experience working on a boat is limited (just 7 days waxing, polishing and cleaning really), but I'm a quick study and have a fairly diverse skill set to offer!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Young Chiropractor Seeks Adventure!

Matt...
If you don't get any feed back on jobs on boats something to think about is maybe... if you can afford it....
Buy a 27ft - 30ft you can live on and head for the Islands and set up a floating clinic for cruisers.... sort of a "Sailing Doctor"...
If you think about it 70% of the cruisers/charterers out there are making their 'Sunsets' splendid... in other words old bugas like me with nothing better to do...
My weakness is my Sacroiliac joints having a long back and on more than one occasion hauling the hook I've 'Popped one'...
Having hassle free access to a 'Bone Popper' would have been magic... unless your one of those Sadists who use electric shock stimulus.... always walked out worse than in with that ****..
Anyway... if your any good word would spread fast though the 'Community' and you'd be one of the 'Successful Cruisers'.....
Call outs only... someones plush yachts a lot nicer to work in....lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56   #3

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Re: Young Chiropractor Seeks Adventure !

Dr. Matt,

Fortunately for Boatman 61 you are going to need a bigger boat than 30 to 32'. This EMS stimulators and ultrasound do hickeys consume electricity. If you bring your Hi-Low table you are going to need a good size generator to get it up and down as well as a good size cabin to walk around in. I suggest a flush deck boat with and a portable table so you can do your adjustments on deck. That way you can get free advertizing or get rid of your mistakes (hehehe) over the side. All kidding aside Dr. M just get out there and don't try to preach the wonders of chiropractic. HELP if you can and realize that you cannot help everyone. Being a new graduate, it good to see you are open to seeing new vistas. Try to crew down to Puerto Rico or the USVI. I had an associate when I was inTacoma, WA and she and her husband moved there to practice. SEE new things, do new things, meet new people before you commit to establishing a practice in the USA. Been there, done that. Now that I am retired, I am looking to buy and refurbish a 38 to 42' sailboat and I know I will need to find a good chiropractic while cruising the Gulf and points south. I hope to see you along the way.
Old 21-03-2011, 07:55   #4

Re: Young Chiropractor Seeks Adventure !

Thanks for the suggestions!

I do not think the crushing debt of my impending school loans would afford me the luxury of buying a boat (though I hear it is a good time to be a buyer!), though it is something I'd love to do once I am ready to "retire." That way if business is slow, I will be able to say "no worries" and mean it!

I do have a portable table and could use portable, battery powered EMS units vs. the juice sucking plug-in models. I don't think I'd want a powered table (size, weight, restricted use). I'm more of a hands on, manual adjuster and don't rely on the bells and whistles that seem to be commonplace in a lot of clinics I've seen.

Happy Spring Minnesotans, wherever you may be hiding!

~M@