Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2008, 09:25   #1

Boat: East Orient 32
Cool Working Crew Needed - Summer '09 in Greece

I started re-doing the caulking on my teak decks in August but it's a big job and needs to be done in summer when it's dry. Also, I need to re-do all the screw plugs. I've never done this before and am nervous about doing it wrong. I'm thinking an hour or two a day would leave enough time to do some sailing and sightseeing as well. The boat is in Greece in the Ionian sea. Sure would be nice to have someone who knows how to do this join me for a "share the work/share the fun" summer...

Old 25-11-2008, 11:35   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I think that is a great idea, but having done the job it would not be practical or advisable to start and stop once it has begun. Apart from being messy, once you open up the seams….not a time to risk getting them wet until the whole job is done and sealed.

I would suggest you get the fastening and caulking done first and then offer a cruise as a reward.

Also….My mind is just reeling with how you could advertise for some help.

“Large Caulk job available in Greece, hands on experience needed.”

Old 25-11-2008, 12:19   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
seagypsywoman,

That lovely smile should bring multiple offers of help. Just be sure to read their resume's carefully. Error on the side of caution!,,,,,BEST WISHES on getting the deck done, and making a friend too.....i2f
Old 25-11-2008, 13:23   #4

Boat: Westsail 32
I have spent two full summers re-seaming the beautiful teak decks on my boat. The project can most certainly be done in stages, the thinking being that if the seams and plugs have failed water is most certainly getting into places you don't want anyway and has been doing so for a very long time. The other issue is that once plugs are loose and seams fail they hold water and do not by any means dry out as fast as if you had no plugs or seams at all. Tropical hardwoods will typically only rot if water is continually trapped on it. This means you probably are better off with out the failed plugs and seaming compound. The plus is that tropical hardwoods like teak, and mahogany dry out very, quickly. Open seams that are exposed to Mediterranean sun will typically be dry enough to caulk in a half day after a rain event. The project aspects that you are trying to get accomplished are in itself not difficult, it is the amount of back breaking laborious hours required to get the job done right. Depending on the amount of deck area to be done, the casual approach of an hour a day will take for ever to complete the work. A project of this magnitude if it is to be done correctly has to be treated like a second full time job. While there is a lot of hand work involved, much of the process can be completed with power tools. I have photo documented the entire process and have what you are trying to do down to a science and would be more than happy to discuss what the steps are, what tools and products are required to make this as painless as possible. The end result of all this is decks that are water tight, and in a day of massed produced plastic, a thing of beauty.
Old 25-11-2008, 15:48   #5

Boat: Westsail 32
Deck Work

A couple of pics of reseaming project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-seaming Westsail 32 Poop Deck.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	5970   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Seams Westsail 32 Poop Deck.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	454.7 KB
ID:	5971  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cauked Seams Starboard.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	5972  
Old 26-11-2008, 08:13   #6

Boat: East Orient 32
Thanks all. Pelagic, ha, ha. Cburger, thank you for the instructions and photos - looks like you'vve done a super job on your deck. Two summers as a full time job??? Yikes! Maybe I should throw a deck re-caulking party, buy the beer and pizza and then sail as a reward?
Old 30-12-2008, 05:53   #7

Hi Gypsy, I am a professional boat builder as well as a captain and sailor. I have a forty ft. Crocker Ketch. The worst part is cleaning out the old seams. Use a router with a bit the width of the seem or perhaps a 32 larger. put down masking tape a ditence equal to the width of the router bast measured from the blade of the router at the sharp edge of the carbide. Using a spacer clue a spline down with the edge exactly the the distance measured on the base. Clean off the excess glue and with the router set the exact depth required to remove the old caulking set on the router plunge the router and carefuly keeping the base against the spline clean the seem Make sure the spin of the blad pushes th router toward the spline. Keep the spline at nine o-clock if you are facing 12. Leave the caulking proud and sand off after it is dry. Complete each seam the full length before stopping Sand the entire deck at once. Good Luck Captain Guy 111
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51   #8

Hi seagypsywoman. Just seen your add. I am 55 year young carpenter now retired early looking for something different this summer. Have done teak decks before and would say better to do some full days then sail as the setting up time for the router and general mess is best to hit it hard for a day then enjoy.
(I designed a part for my router to follow the last routed line so the job can be done quite quickley) if theirs sutch a thing as quickley. So if your still looking or want any info on the part I had made mail me back Regards Barry

Tags
Greece