Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 12:02   #1

Will work for knowledge/experience!

Hi,

My name is Michael. I'm twenty years-old and living in the Washington, D.C. area. I have no sailing experience and that's really why I'm here.

I'm looking for any way to get some experience and learn to sail. I'm willing to do anything you might need help with. I will pay all of my expenses.

I can travel and make a significant time commitment if it's needed. Of course, something local (D.C., Baltimore, Annapolis) would be preferred.

I'm a very skilled fisherman and I'd be very willing to cook, clean, keep watch, etc. I'm healthy and in good physical shape. I don't drink or use drugs. I'm hard-working and eager to learn. I'm used to working 55-60 hour work weeks, just to show that I'm not lazy or looking for a 'free-ride', so to speak.

If you think you could use the help, and you don't mind teaching me, let's work something out.

Michael
Old 05-12-2012, 13:04   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Look into race nights in Galesville. Go to the pirates cove restaurant and see the schedule. Great way to learn how to sail.
Old 05-12-2012, 13:24   #3

Re: Will work for knowledge/experience!

Thanks. It looks like they may be done racing until April, but I'll certainly look into it some more.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:45   #4

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.

I started off just like you, same area too, 6 years ago trying to learn how to sail. Now, I just finished a solo circumnavigation 2 weeks ago (www.SailingSalsa.com) . I ended up racing near Annapolis, on the Magothy river with Alan Weiss. He can be a pain in the ass but he is a very good teacher. Of course the season is over for now but you might contact him now anyway. After a season of Racing I volunteered to cruise for some offshore deliveries on coast, that's when the real fun begins.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59   #5

Boat: Hylas 49

Welcome.
Check out Spinsheet.com or pick one up at a convenience store in Annapolis. They have a crew meetup in the Spring and maintain a crew list. Be honest about your lack of experience. You are "rail meat". In the meantime, learn about sailing either on-line or by buying a basic sailing book. Jobson's is a good start. In the spring go to Daingerfield Island near National Airport and rent a Sunfish. If you can keep it upright, you are on your way!
Old 11-12-2012, 14:09   #6

Sounds good! Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Kirkalittle -- very cool to hear about your trip. Awesome 'e-log' or whatever you'd call it.

Thanks,
Michael