Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 16:32   #16

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: Will pay $600/mo to gain more experience as crew

Anyone remember the link to the guy who was selling space by the week as he sailed from Long Beach through the Panama Canal and up the East Coast?

He should be half way there by now...
Old 19-02-2015, 16:34   #17

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Did anybody do the maths? She's offerring $20/day. Thats pretty low/standard fare for cost sharing crew.

...but she's gone now . Hopefully she didn't get snapped up by a crazy-man
Old 20-02-2015, 07:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
Did anybody do the maths? She's offerring $20/day. Thats pretty low/standard fare for cost sharing crew.

...but she's gone now . Hopefully she didn't get snapped up by a crazy-man
But she was offering wholesale, by the month crew. I agree that something put her off, she hasn't been back.
Old 22-02-2015, 10:58   #19

I'm new here but this ad caught my eye. I did exactly this. I paid someone to be their crew. I wanted to learn as much as possible, had a good attitude about volunteering for the not-so-great jobs required and made it exactly clear that if I paid for this, I wanted to learn specific things.

The captain was highly experienced with great references so when I told him my expectations and he agreed, I was ecstatic. Unfortunately my experience was NOTHING like what our agreement stated. I learned nothing. Like sports players, a good captain does not make a good teacher.

I have also crewed for free with the same experience.

Because of these experiences, I took ASA courses and I'm now looking for my own boat so I can take the time I need to learn.

I'm not saying that all captains (or good sports players) make bad teachers/ coaches. All I'm saying is, if she is willing to pay that much, I sure hope she gets it in a written contract exactly what she expects to learn and she should expect a lot of "spam" captains writing her.
Old 22-02-2015, 13:13   #20

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortytravels View Post
I'm new here but this ad caught my eye. I did exactly this. I paid someone to be their crew. I wanted to learn as much as possible, had a good attitude about volunteering for the not-so-great jobs required and made it exactly clear that if I paid for this, I wanted to learn specific things.

The captain was highly experienced with great references so when I told him my expectations and he agreed, I was ecstatic. Unfortunately my experience was NOTHING like what our agreement stated. I learned nothing. Like sports players, a good captain does not make a good teacher.

I have also crewed for free with the same experience.

Because of these experiences, I took ASA courses and I'm now looking for my own boat so I can take the time I need to learn.

I'm not saying that all captains (or good sports players) make bad teachers/ coaches. All I'm saying is, if she is willing to pay that much, I sure hope she gets it in a written contract exactly what she expects to learn and she should expect a lot of "spam" captains writing her.
Welcome to CF.

I have had this experience too. I paid a bloody lot of money for a four day sailing course from a reputable sailing school in Sydney and it was a waste of money as far as what I learned. I learnt far more from hiring a boat in the Whitsunday's for two weeks. Much more.
Old 22-02-2015, 13:42   #21

I actually think taking the courses was worth the money...had there been more wind. There wasn't enough really. But I certainly got to actually SAIL and make "captain decisions" that I never got while crewing. If I were going to redo it, I would take 1 private lesson instead of the course. The group course reduced my time at helm and captaining too much...

The problem with crewing is that captains want to sail their own boats (and rightly so). This means they like the crew to cook, clean and do other chores...not conducive to learning to sail. I would recommend that everybody crew in the beginning to see if they even want to pursue sailing, then take a private lesson.

I'm still definitely a beginner but I've given up finding that "magical captain" that actually can teach me to sail better. He/ she may exist but eludes me. I'm jumping in and getting my own boat... but if a captain wrote me saying he/ she was an instructor and said I could crew for free and actually learn to sail instead of all that revolves around that, I'd probably try it again regardless. Just tough to find an individual with the capability to teach effectively.
Old 22-02-2015, 13:50   #22

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I actually think taking the courses was worth the money...had there been more wind. There wasn't enough really. But I certainly got to actually SAIL and make "captain decisions" that I never got while crewing. If I were going to redo it, I would take 1 private lesson instead of the course. The group course reduced my time at helm and captaining too much...

The problem with crewing is that captains want to sail their own boats (and rightly so). This means they like the crew to cook, clean and do other chores...not conducive to learning to sail. I would recommend that everybody crew in the beginning to see if they even want to pursue sailing, then take a private lesson.

I'm still definitely a beginner but I've given up finding that "magical captain" that actually can teach me to sail better. He/ she may exist but eludes me. I'm jumping in and getting my own boat... but if a captain wrote me and said I could crew for him/ her and actually learn to sail, I'd probably try it again! Owning a boat is expensive and can be a big headache!
Without doubt, getting your own boat is the way to do it.

My advice to anyone who has not had any formal training is however to do some courses on both weather and navigation. Over here, night courses are more than adequate. Other useful courses are diesel if you have an inboard, electronics perhaps (I havn't), first aid and radio proficiency. Most people over here don't bother about a radio certificate but you can tell when they get on the radio. It's a silly situation here that you can purchase and possess and listen to a VHF or HF radio but unless you have a licence/certificate your not permitted to transmit. The result is most people don't bother to get one.
Old 24-04-2015, 09:59   #23

Hello Leah,
my name is Olivier, I am french and sailing alone with my son5 years old heading to New Caledonia but with a long stop very likely to New Caledonia. I am considering taking onboard a native speaking english in order to practice my english, female preferably as we are already two male onboard, someone ready to give little hand, who likes children, and is not smoking preferably. Reading through your post I thought there might a fit here.

I am planning to leave Tahiti (French Polynesia) beginning of June and sail via Fidji (15 days stay planned), Vanuatu 15 days stay planned) and finally go to New Caledonia very likely to leave the boat and fly to Australia where I am willing to settle (or NZ possibly). My threshold is to arrive in New Caledonia latest mid of August stop there to escape the winter bad weather more south
as my email is quite short notice and I have not even made my mind 100%, I am giving you the address of our blog where you can see pictures of us two (though written in french).
if you are possibly interested can I please ask you to send a few pictures of you and your comments about my plan
blog: Il était une fois ...
please answer me at: martino_fr@yahoo.fr
greetings
Olivier
Old 24-04-2015, 16:53   #24

Hi Leah,

I have a 33' Islander Wayferer currently in Moss Landing, which is between Santa Cruz and Monterey. I am looking for someone to help me move the boat. I am still debating on whether I want to move the boat back up to the SF bay area or down the CA coast to Mexico. The boat is a good beginner's boat. Food is a plenty and there is enough room for two liveaboards. Let me know if you're interested for more info. Thanks!
Old 24-04-2015, 20:16   #25

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:

I'm still definitely a beginner but I've given up finding that "magical captain" that actually can teach me to sail better. He/ she may exist but eludes me. I'm jumping in and getting my own boat... but if a captain wrote me saying he/ she was an instructor and said I could crew for free and actually learn to sail instead of all that revolves around that, I'd probably try it again regardless. Just tough to find an individual with the capability to teach effectively.

I dropped ya a pm. I am supposed to join the HC 38 in Marathon for the hop across the gulf.

I have had a few compliments on my teaching style. Had a couple of attempts on my life also.

Go figure?

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 21-05-2015, 01:15   #26

Are you still looking for a ride? Not interested in taking any money but would expect you to "carry your own weight". Impressed with the initiative and commitment.
Old 21-05-2015, 10:29   #27

Boat: vagabond 47

ok noobo i need crew
Old 30-05-2015, 08:40   #28

have a boat in San Diego, looking for day crew for sailing and related adventure. we will be doing a lot of sailing and practice on the bay and maybe some summer racing. No money charges but some work cleaning up after sailing ie, washdown, stow gear, etc. No over-nights unless we go off somewhere and drop the hook. Let me know if interested

Tags
crew, enc