Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2013, 14:04   #1

Where to go? What to do?

After trolling Cruiserforum, Cruiserlog and Floatplan for sometime now, I'm thinking my goal of landing a crewing/deckhand position for the summer is not going to happen, at least not online. My goal is simple: spend as much time as possible on the water this summer and learn how to sail. I have little to no experience at the moment, but, as a teacher, I have all kinds of time and am free (and paid) until Labor Day.

I've subletted my apartment so I literally have to be somewhere by 6/15 and I'm aiming for that to not be my parents' spare bedroom.

Given my current lack of skills I figure it would be the rare captain who would take me on sight unseen. So I was thinking perhaps paying for a sailing program as the most efficient way to learn a lot quickly. I looked at a few ASA schools around the country and they are a) pricey and b) seem to meet only on weekends. I want to do this everyday.

So I'm looking for advice on how to make this happen, either by finding an affordable school or relocating somewhere this summer where a savvy, persistent and hardworking green sailor (that's me) could learn for free.
Old 29-05-2013, 14:19   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Where to go? What to do?

Hi! While you're searching for a crewing position, buy and study a couple of sailing books published by ASA; available at most book sellers. The Coast Guard Auxiliary has evening classes, for the price of the books used. Enroll in their local chapters; there must be some in your neighborhood. Check the boards in your local marinas, for crewing ads. Do some leg work, and you'll find what you're looking for. You need to start building your seamanship skills; get with your studies. Once a crew member, you'll put to use much of what you've learned in the books. Let us know how are you progressing. Good luck! Mauritz
Old 29-05-2013, 14:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Where to go? What to do?

If you know you don't get bad seasick, and are reasonably fit and want to plunge into the deep end you can drop me a PM.

I'm leaving Philly June 13 to bring my boat back from Newfoundland. I'll drive up and sail back. Solo so far.

Round about 2,000 miles. that'l git 'er done.
Old 29-05-2013, 16:42   #4

There's racing at the Washington sailing marina, I think they may have classes too. but definitely a couple Regattas and round the buoy races every week.google them, they are off the GW Parkway. There is also sailing lessons at the Belllehaven marina off the parkway. It's not ASA Keelboat but its something to fall back on and inexpensive.
Good Luck
Old 29-05-2013, 17:02   #5

Boat: Ericson 35-2
+1 about racing. In my experience, a club racing scene is always short on reliable crew, no matter skilled or not. All you need to do to get started is show up on the docks two hours before the start and ask who would take on a crew.