Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2007, 19:51   #1

Boat: none
What do you look for in a crew?

Hello all!

I was just wondering what you captains/owners look for when you get responses for crew wanted ads. I'm sure this varies quite a bit and look forward to the informative and inevitably humorous resposes I enjoy so much from this site.
Old 24-04-2007, 14:26   #2
cruiser

Much interest in outdoor activities , persuing physical activities, non smoking, not too boozy , non obese, non bossy, humourous, capable of intelligent conversation, long attention span, not about to lay on guilt trips from past negative experiences .
Brent
Old 24-04-2007, 16:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
The ideal crew...

... turns up when there is work to be done.

Like maintenance, anti fouling, night watches, cleaning the bilge...

And then vanishes.
Old 26-04-2007, 14:44   #4
cruiser

First, actually ask for the crew position. Wait to be asked and you can wait forever.
Playing of head games , kills interest instantly.
Honesty , directness, no head games, tell it like it is , no ********.
Actually show up when invited , something women rarely do in my experience, and that of most singlehanders I've met.
Brent
Old 27-04-2007, 18:28   #5

I asked this question because i would like to be on a crew (until i can afford and are comfortable being skipper on my own boat). What are these head games you speak of? If i was willing to work my ass off fixing up your or someone elses boat would that increase my chances? Would spending thousands of dollars on formal training help any?

thanks
Old 27-04-2007, 18:43   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5user5
I asked this question because i would like to be on a crew (until i can afford and are comfortable being skipper on my own boat). What are these head games you speak of? If i was willing to work my ass off fixing up your or someone elses boat would that increase my chances? Would spending thousands of dollars on formal training help any?

thanks
Let me take a whack at this.

Firstly I don't go long distance, we just cruise around our neck of the woods and day sail so my views may be different from others. (and that wouldn't be the first time)

What I look for in crew is someone who is willing to do what they are asked to do on the boat and are willing to learn what needs to be done. Taking people sailing that have never been before because they want to try it is fun, but they do need to understand this isn't a sight seeing tour where they get to sit and do nothing. That doesn't mean I work them to death, just they need to be ready to trim a sail or whatever.

People that are willing to come around when I need extra hands fixing something (hold this screwdriver and keep the bolt from turning while I tighten the nut) get bonus points and more frequent invites.

Also I look for people I can chat with while sailing. It doesn't have to be about sailing, it can be about whatever, though I think in fairness they should have an interest in chatting about sailing.

Spending money to get formal training is generally not a bad idea. That doesn't mean breaking the bank or taking courses for the next 6 years, but a good learn to sail program can be helpful, and as an added bonus you might meet people that have their own boats that are looking for someone to crew with them. Where I took sailing lessons (Downtown Sailing Center in Baltimore) they have an open sail on Weds nights and about every other Sunday. They encourage the students to come out and join them for those as it gets them more experience, and they get to meet other members of the organization, some of whom have boats and might me looking for extra crew. Also some formal training can lend itself to you communicating better with boat owners, you know will learn that the pointy end is the bow for instance, and if you talk the talk it may be the difference in getting on a boat and not.
Old 27-04-2007, 19:35   #7

I was mostly wondering about the courses because the next class from the same instructor is $1200 bucks. I thought it might be better to use that for a plane ticket to a boat that needs a crew.

I have taken the ASA 101 course and can name all the major parts of the boat and the points of sail. I also know the figure eight man over board deal, although not like the back of my hand.

I have the fear that i will not meet anyone who would want my help. 10% of the reason i want to pay for a class is to just be on a boat again.
Old 27-04-2007, 21:38   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Much interest in outdoor activities , persuing physical activities, non smoking, not too boozy , non obese, non bossy, humourous, capable of intelligent conversation, long attention span, not about to lay on guilt trips from past negative experiences .
Shoot, I don't qualify then...

Aye, having worked as a yacht captain and done the owner bit as well, I can only say: Good attitude and hard work makes a good crew member.

Skills ain't all that important as they can be learned with a good attitude. (And hard work)

Have had many newbies on my boat on various Bahama cruises and some will never sail on my boat again, whereas others are welcomed back anytime anywhere.

When I see somebody on their hands and knees scrubbing the head without me ever asking or requsting they do that, I get mucho respect and a warm and fuzzy feeling. They can come back anytime.

Others have left the deck as soon as we touch the dock to sit back and order a pizza on the patio..No thoughts about boat cleaning after a free charter...Them guys are not being invited back in the next 50 years.

In general, 90% of my crews have been great, the 10% that did not impress should stay on land.
Old 27-04-2007, 22:06   #9

Boat: now floating easy37
a bikini
Old 28-04-2007, 06:28   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the memories . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
When I see somebody on their hands and knees scrubbing the head without me ever asking or requsting they do that, I get mucho respect and a warm and fuzzy feeling. They can come back anytime.
I love this, CSY Man! Of course, there is always the possibility that the crewmember was so fastidious that they couldn't bring themselves to use the head until it had been made as spotless and sanitary as an operating room. I think of my first wife . . .

TaoJones
Old 28-04-2007, 08:03   #11

Quote:
Of course, there is always the possibility that the crewmember was so fastidious that they couldn't bring themselves to use the head until it had been made as spotless and sanitary as an operating room. I think of my first wife . .
Nah, this is after a week on the boat.
At the start of the trips I do, the boat is clean and spotless.
Old 28-04-2007, 10:21   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm envious . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
Nah, this is after a week on the boat.
At the start of the trips I do, the boat is clean and spotless.
I'm not at all surprised to read this, DH - I've looked at the pictures you posted here of your beautiful s/v Rhapsody. If the crew you were referring to is ever looking for a spot on another boat, are you willing to share the name?

TaoJones
Old 28-04-2007, 13:54   #13

Quote:
If the crew you were referring to is ever looking for a spot on another boat, are you willing to share the name?
Negative negative...Ya can have the other guys, the ones that think a boat cleans itself and the food cooks itself and the dishes are done by the holy spirit...
Old 30-04-2007, 14:53   #14
cruiser

A bit of celestial navigation can give a skipper a feeling of dependency on you if the electronics quit. It's surprising how many couldn't find their way in an electrical failure.Havin gsomeone aboard who can , makes you a potentialy valuable addition to the crew. I can teach noon sites in about three minutes.Come with your own plastic sextant and tables.
Brent
Old 09-05-2007, 20:18   #15

I asked this question for obvious reasons....I want to crew. My father just passed away and left me a small amount of money and my passport should be in the mail. I will be ready to go in about three months. By that time I will have bought and learned how to use a sextant (thanks for the suggestion louis). I will do just about anything a captain wants for the privilage of being on his boat. I will also pay for airfare to and from. So if any of you need 25 year old male with a love for boats and a dire need to travel, here I am.

Let me know if there is any other important info I failed to mention.

Thanks, Josh