Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2011, 18:50   #1

Whale Research in Niue, South Pacific - September 2011

Greetings sailors,

Whales Alive is a conservation organisation conducting long term research and education on and about whales across Oceania. We are conducting a research program on the island of Niue from 3 - 30th September 2011 and require volunteer vessels with at least a skipper and preferably crew to be a platform for a small team of researchers. We will pay for fuel and provisions and train interested crew on all aspects of whale research including photography, acoustics and genetics.
As it takes time to understand vessel operations around the whales for research purposes, boat time needed is preferably 1 week minimum, ideally 3-4 weeks with the same vessel/skipper would see the best out comes for the research.
If you are interested in learning more about the program or know of any vessels going across the Pacific that may be available/interested, please contact me.
Where there's a whale, there's a way!
Olive Andrews
Project Leader Niue Whale Research
whaleology@gmail.com
Old 28-07-2011, 09:28   #2

Re: Whale Research in Niue, South Pacific - September 2011

I'm available crew if you manage to find a boat, good luck!
Old 28-07-2011, 17:57   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Whale Research in Niue, South Pacific - September 2011

G'Day Olive,

I wonder if you have ever been to Niue? The so called anchorage there is woefully exposed in anything other than SE trades, and expecting to have good conditions for a whole month is dreaming. You should be prepared to have any volunteer yottie vessel need to leave the anchorage and go to sea on very short notice, your schedule be damned!

Perhaps you have taken all this in view, but from your post I doubt it. Volunteers are well and good, but they will take the well being of their vessel (and home) as a much higher priority than your research.

None the less, I wish you good luck in finding a ride.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
arc, Niue, research, south pacific