Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2015, 07:34   #1

Boat: CT-41
Washington state to California, Mexico, South Pacific

Starting in Ilwaco, Washington, across the river from Astoria, Oregon - down the coast to California, then on to Mexico, and South Pacific on a CT-41 Ketch, aiming for August departure, and will do local shake down before crossing the bar. Finishing 2-1/2 year refit on the boat.

Looking for 2 crew with experience. Dog on board. No drugs or alcohol underway, non-smoker, easy to get along with, good under pressure. Reef early and ride it out offshore if needed. NOT a racing boat. No incessant talkers, political arguments, or bigots, please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splash2.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	103997  
Old 21-06-2015, 11:55   #2

Re: Washington state to California, Mexico, South Pacific

Hello,

I would have a great interest in crewing for your voyage. I only have one year of sailing experience, but have a strong draw to the ocean, and am dedicated and conscientious. I live in Southern California, but can make the trip up for this voyage.
I'm a very laid back kind of person, and don't like political or religious conversations/arguments, myself. But I always make a good time, and earned the name "cookie" from my time in the galley during a five day cruise down here by my fellow crew members.
Your ketch looks beautiful, and I would love to be part of your endeavor.
Drop me a line, and we can discuss whether or not I would be a good fit on your voyage.
Cheers,
James
Old 22-06-2015, 11:27   #3

James,
Please send me a private message with contact email and a bit of a description of yourself. I am looking for one with more experience than you have, but the second can be OK with less if personalities and work attitude matches. Let's get to know each other a bit and see if we might be a good match.
thanks
Steve
Old 23-06-2015, 13:01   #4

Hi there, I just got here in Baja California, Ensenada. I case you need me, just check it out my profile and you can give a call 6461859976.
thanks

Sergio
Old 23-06-2015, 22:12   #5

I recently returned to Bainbridge Island, WA, from Bora Bora after 6 weeks sailing the South Pacific. Logged over 3,000 nautical miles. There were 3 on board, so 2 watches each. Mine were midnight to 4 am and noon to 4 pm. Duties included cooking. I usually keep to myself and would rather listen than talk (incessantly). I joined the South Pacific cruise in order to enhance my rather lacking sailing skills. I learned quite a bit, but am eager to keep the ball rolling under the direction of a patient captain. Please let me know if I can be of assistance to you and your adventure.
Old 24-06-2015, 10:23   #6

harborphil, Thanks for the reply and description of your trip. Bainbridge Island is not too far from here. If you would like to come for a visit, please let me know. That would be the best way to get to know each other a little and you to check out the boat. Best wishes, Steve Van Ronk & Aleutia, the dog S.V. Mystique Port of Ilwaco, Washington
Old 24-06-2015, 10:25   #7

Sergio,
Thanks for the reply, but this is a volunteer position, not a paid job.
best wishes.
Old 24-06-2015, 11:35   #8

Thank you, Steve, for your quick response. It would be my pleasure to meet you in Portland (?). Being retired, and having to watch my expenditures very closely, it would be helpful to know, prior to the drive, what you would need me to cover financially in order to be able to sail with you. And, by the way, I do not drink or smoke, have no allergies or medical problems. Medications: I take a baby aspirin and B-complex vitamin every day. Food: I eat anything, although I'm not too keen on a certain watermelon salad that I had yesterday at a local fundraiser ... watermelon that was soaked in olive oil, sprinkled with feta cheese and sesame seeds. I ate my portion, but I'm still debating the culinary merits of the stuff. An etc.: I come from a family of artists in all mediums, so I have an enhanced appreciation of your work. And, finally, what's the current bid on your housecar?? And what are its mechanical aches and pains?

philiphankins@yahoo.com
Old 28-06-2015, 13:16   #9

Phil,
I am in Ilwaco, Washington, across the river from Astoria, not Portland.
To crew with us, you need to cover your personal expenses including transportation to and from the boat, share food, and chip in on fuel, but only if we have to motor substantial distances. I take care of boat maintenance and anything strictly my own interest. We share everything else that is to our mutual interest. I do NOT do watermelon salad, and the Housecar sold two years ago.
Give a shout when you want to come for a visit.
Old 01-07-2015, 22:38   #10

Hi:

This sounds like an excellent trip. I am able to get to Portand and go down the coast of Mexico with you.

I have been sailing 25 years and have owned 7 sailboats up to a 43 Hunter. Most recently I have sailed the San Juans and the Canadian San Juans up to about Desolation Sound.

I would like to pick up some offshore and overnight experience, but, like you I am very capable, a non-smoker, non-drinker, and don't do drugs. As well I have a sense of humor and being a boat owner would treat your boat as if it were mine.

If you don't have your crew together let me know and perhaps make something work.

Thanks
Jay
Old 01-07-2015, 23:17   #11

Boat: Norseman 447

Sergio was a nightmare for crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-07-2015, 00:00   #12

Jay,
Would like to talk about it. You can reach me directly through the Contact link at my web page. If the link will post, it is; Contact Me
I have had a possible few replies, but not confirmed anyone yet.
thanks,
Steve
Old 04-07-2015, 11:18   #13

Hi Steve,
My first passage to Hawaii was aboard a 40.' I returned my own Westsail 32 from Raiatea to Hawaii with a buddy and then used a crew of two to move it back to Ca. I have made the passage from LA to SF aboard a 38' and captained a 40' Cat from Panama to San Diego. Retired now and looking to get wet again. Let's discuss how I could help. Don't smoke and don't need a drink to I make next landfall. I am tole I am good crew and have the experience and skills you require for an offshore passage.

Sincerly,

Ed Foster
edafoster@msn.com
Old 17-07-2015, 18:43   #14

Hey Steve,

Not sure if you still need any more people to help crew. Sounds like you have a fair amount of people offering already. I would be interested to come aboard for your planned trip though.

As for me, I grew up in Bellingham and have some sailing experience around the San Juans from childhood. Since then I have sailed off and on, but lately have been crewing on boats and taking classes on the Columbia. Currently living in Portalnd and crewing on raceboats whenever I can. I recently sailed to Astoria but still have yet to cross the bar and make it out in open waters.

I would like to get the experience of sailing on the Oregon coast. I just turned 30 and am pretty fit. I can make a good deck hand and have a strong work ethic. Can also cook fairly decently.

If you would like to chat over the phone or in person let me know. 360 927 1323

Thanks,
Keenan
Old 17-07-2015, 19:32   #15

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi Steve
I hold a 100 ton master ticket, 25+years experience on towboats(barges and log booms in PNW as far north as Alaska, beachcomber, commercial fisherman (salmon and herring, seining, trolling),then ran my own delivery company with clients from Alaska to Panama over 25 years delivering both power and sail up and down the coast up to 110 feet.
I'm a moderate drinker and smoker, politically a little to the right of Attila the Hun and let folks know it too, been told I snore and have the reputation of being a first class opinionated bigot! Hold dual citizenship in case I get deported from either country.
Let me know if you run out of Candidates... Cheers, Phil

Tags
cal, california, Mexico, south pacific, washing, Washington