Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 08:41   #1

Boat: Ocean Renegade 52
Post Washington & Oregon offshore

Tentative dates are August 8-23
Boat: 2004 Catalina 400 MKII
Departing and Arriving @ Seattle
Estimated nm: 1000-1500

This is a progression from past trips to further grow skills and experience. For this trip I'd like to spend 2 weeks off the Washington and Oregon coast, 100-400nm offshore. We'll go south for about 4-5 days (after taking 1-2 days to get out of the straight) and then figure out how to make northern progress over another 7-8. From what I've read, beating north can be a real drain depending on the conditions. So the intent is to use our lateral freedom to create more favorable approaches as well as stretch out our time if we're making too much progress north.

Next summer, and the reason for all this, will be a round trip to/from Hawaii. If this goes well you're welcome back for that. The goals for this trip are to gain more experience with: 24x7 sailing, sleeping on the ocean, power/food/water management, fishing/trolling, close quarters and prolonged idle time, etc before committing 3 months to HI next summer.

We're looking for 2 others to join my father and I. He's been a recreational offshore fisherman for 25 years, runs a charter business, has his captains license. He however is not a sailor, limited to 1 week last year with me in the San Juans. For that reason, the other 2 joining should have experience roughly equal to my own or better. I'm quite comfortable with my boat, but I recognize I could still benefit from more skill refinement.

I picked up sailing 3 years ago. Live in Seattle and mainly sail Puget Sound. Do day and weekend trips about every 3 weeks for the past 3 years. In 2014 I also did a 2 week trip around Vancouver Island and a week in the San Juan Islands. Started living aboard 2 years ago to better learn the boats systems. Spent the last 2 years upgrading boat systems for better passage making, which is 90% complete... but when is a boat every really complete.

Crew will share in sailing, keeping watch and simple cooking. Should have experience sailing and single-handing in "normal" conditions (even though there will be 1-2 others awake at all times). Experience with foul weather and/or ocean sailing is a plus but not required. Should have passports and are responsible for transport to/from Seattle. You can stay on the boat for a few days before/after to ease travel arrangements. Crew neither pays nor is paid, though you're welcome to pitch in for food and satellite time.

Equipment highlights:
Sails: 100 jib, 130/160 genoa, spinnaker, battened main w/ 2 reefs.
Power generation: solar, towed, diesel engine alternator, gas generator.
Comms: sat phone, sat tracker, vhf onboard and hand held, walkies, epirb.
Emergency: series drogue, 4 person offshore raft, katadyn survivor 35.
Water: 100+5 gallons (2 tanks + jerry), spectra 150 watermaker, backup hand pump.
Fuel: 40+20 gallons (tank + jerry), 600 mile range under good conditions.
Heat: diesel heater, engine exchange; hot water via inverter, engine or diesel heater.
Other: radar, electric autopilot, will use sat phone for weather/grib downloads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 9.01.44 PM.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	104145  
Old 24-06-2015, 11:51   #2

Re: Washington & Oregon offshore

Hello there,

I'm James, and I'd be very interested in joining the crew for this trip. I've only been sailing for about a year, but passed top of my ASA certification class.

It sounds like we may have a lot in common, as I'm looking to hone my skills and buy my own ship in the next few years. My bucket list sailing item is to sail up to Prince Edward Island.

I've also studied a bit of culinary arts, and would be glad to share in (or even do all of) the cooking duties.

Drop me a line, and I'll be glad to talk more to see if I'd be a good fit.

Cheers,
James
Old 27-06-2015, 17:21   #3

HI:

I certainly have an interest in this. I have been sailing for 30 years on an off. Started with M Scows and then up to a Hunter 43. Presently living in Tucson and have the time to commit to this. I too am looking to upgrade my overnight skills and open water skills.

I am a non smoker, non drinker, and I am in great physical shape. Last sailing was last year in the San Juans and in Canada for 10 days last year.

Please let me know if you still have a need for a crew and we can exchange more information.

Thanks
Jay
Old 17-07-2015, 18:50   #4

Hello!

I would be interested in crewing if you are still looking for someone to assist. I am currently living in Portland and have been learning how to sail along the Columbia since November. I have some basic open water experience, but not much.

I'm currently looking for more open water experience and building my education/experience by crewing on as many boats On the Columbia as I can.

I'm in good physical shape and have a strong work ethic.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like 360 927 1323.

Hope to hear from you,

Keenan
Old 18-07-2015, 03:08   #5

I'm 19 and here in Seattle. I've been sailing off and on for years. I'm ready to go if you are.

Tags
offshore, oregon, washing, Washington