Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 15:24   #1

Wanting to learn to sail

I would like to know what you experienced sailors that of my previous post of regarding learning to sail . Your thoughts on the best way to learn to be a competent sailor would be appreciated . I have for the most part always lived in the Midwest USA so I have not had the opportunity until recently . Thanks in advance for any advice. .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-11-2015, 02:06   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Wanting to learn to sail

Well, popeye,

We don't know your location, even generally, so advice is difficult to give. To teach yourself, buy a used tiny dinghy, and experiment.

Or, if you are somewhere there are yacht clubs, you might try to get on "beer can" racers, as pickup crew, and learn by osmosis.

Or, you can take structured course.

Your choice. Pick whatever appeals. Pickup crew is least expensive, still, I think, but doing it yourself has a certain cachet, as well.

Ann
Old 27-11-2015, 02:56   #3

Boat: Couch Potato

Well my expirienceis that i joined a yacht club and showed my willingness to help out with all things around the club, now fast forward sixish months i have over ten reggatas under my proverbial belt.

The way isee it if you show true interest people will take you out even without experience.

Calm seas
Old 27-11-2015, 11:38   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
The way I see it, if you show true interest people will take you out even without experience.
Quite so, at the club racing level, lots of skippers need "rail meat", and that requires only a willingness to go get wet where they want you to.

The attitude Lohi expressed, being helpful and outgoing, that helps, too...

Ann
Old 27-11-2015, 11:47   #5
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

I bought a boat, moved aboard and spent about a week figuring it out. It isn't rocket science
Old 28-11-2015, 07:58   #6

Boat: Island Packet 420

IMHO, the best way to learn to sail is on a small boat- like a dinghy. If there is a lake near you, get yourself a dinghy and teach yourself to sail or find some lessons. Once you have mastered that, and you are ready to move up to bigger boats, then you can try a sailing school, there are lots, including a few on the Great Lakes. But, practice, practice, practice. I have met too many people who have taken an ASA 100/101 course, think they can sail, and 2 years later try to sail again----not good. I have now grown very wary of anyone who totes out an ASA sailing certificate claiming they know how to sail.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:00   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You might try reading a book on basic sailing. It will help you learn all the new words and make it a bit easier when you finally get out on the water.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:21   #8

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Popeye007, Lacking an address or at least an area to tie you too, makes suggestions and invitations difficult. Most people would like to meet you over a cup of Joe and learn a bit about how serious you are about sailing.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:38   #9

Thanks for your responses . I am living in Kentucky but I cannot relocate anywhere in the winter months . Preferably south fl or the Caribbean . Sailing has been a life long dream of mine . After years of a bad marriage I am free ant last to purse my dreams once again . Nothing like freedom !
Old 28-11-2015, 10:00   #10

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
IMHO, the best way to learn to sail is on a small boat- like a dinghy. If there is a lake near you, get yourself a dinghy and teach yourself to sail or find some lessons. Once you have mastered that, and you are ready to move up to bigger boats, then you can try a sailing school, there are lots, including a few on the Great Lakes. But, practice, practice, practice. I have met too many people who have taken an ASA 100/101 course, think they can sail, and 2 years later try to sail again----not good. I have now grown very wary of anyone who totes out an ASA sailing certificate claiming they know how to sail.
I couldn't agree more! Awesome response to a question so often asked. A tough decision is only tough until it's made.... Go for it..
Old 28-11-2015, 11:02   #11

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Good start Popeye. Next thing to do is get a small sail boat like a Laser there are a number on the market or build on of the kit boats. Just go for something you like the looks of, and is cheap.

I am familiar with Kentucky (particularly the eastern part) and there are lots of small lakes between Kentucky and West Virginia, to start on. Then when you are comfortable with being on the water, make the move

I for one like Florida, as it has LOTS of Salt water, coastal sailing and places to go, as you develop you skills. If you like a cooler climate you can look at Maine and Washington states, for good cruising grounds, with lots of places to go. You also might look for a Power Squadron group on the Ohio or Mississippi Rivers, depending on where you live, as they can teach you the basic rules and knowledge you will need to know.

Hope to see you on the water soon. Fair Winds and Following Seas.
Old 28-11-2015, 11:37   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Get in touch with me in St Augustine.

www.facebook.com/BlueOceanSails

Cheers
Old 28-11-2015, 12:18   #13

Boat: Boatless

Race! You'll learn more under real pressure faster than almost any other method. Volunteer for foredeck which involves a ton of sail handling and problem solving.

In addition you'll meet experienced talent and build a new community for support. With a good attitude one of the best ways imho to get way up on the learning curve quick.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:51   #14

I do not have Facebook . Any other way I can get into contact with you ?
Old 28-11-2015, 13:09   #15

Boat: Boatless

Who are you trying to reach? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB

Tags
sail