Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2003, 14:11   #1

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47
Wanted - Charleston, SC to northern Cheasapeake

I'm looking for non-paid crew members to help me sail my new (1993) Alubat Ovni 47 (a 47' aluminum hulled, aft cockpit cutter-rigged sloop) in the open ocean from Charleston, South Carolina to the northern reaches of the Cheasapeake Bay. The trip should take approximately 4 days and I'd like to leave no earlier than 25 August, and arrive no later than 31 August, weather permitting.

Funiculi Funicula is a great boat with many important safety features that make her compliant with all US safety regulations. She measures 47’ LOA, with a 15.5’ beam, and draws only 3’ with the hydraulically raised centerboard up (6.5’ with the centerboard down). She has a full compliment of sails including a spinnaker with pole. She has roller furling head sails. She boasts a 72 hp dieselYanmar, an auxiliary diesel generator, a wind generator, solar panels, and a tow generator; all can charge a primary and backup bank of batteries. She is wheel steered with direct linkage (not cables) to twin rudders. An electric Autohelm ST7000 autopilot is connected directly to the steering linkage. In addition, she has a self-powered wind vane, and an emergency tiller (hopefully never to be used). She is tanked to carry up to 125 gals of potable water (she also has a 25 gal/day watermaker), and 220 gals of diesel. I carry a ship mounted GPS, and VHF, along with handheld backups for each. Fun Fun also has two SSB radios, and a radar. For safety and emergency equipment the boat has sturdy two tier lifelines, full boat length jacklines, lifejackets and harnesses, an inflatable dinghy with outboard motor, a six person auto-inflatable liferaft, and a registered EPIRB. For comfort the boat has two cabins along with two bunks in the V berth. The galley has a two burner stove, oven, and cold plate refrigeration. The boat also has a marine head along with fresh-hot water showers available.

I would like to sail with 2 crew members (plus myself). I'm looking for crew with at least some sailing experience. All crew members should expect to pay for their own transportation to and from Charleston, SC, and the Baltimore, MD, Washington D.C., Annapolis, MD area (I can provide local transportation to and from local airports, or trains stations in both cities). Crew can expect to lodge on the boat upon arrival in Charleston, SC (not before 24 August), until arrival at our destination (and maybe for a day or two after arrival). All passage expenses will be paid by me (including meals), crew are not expected to share expenses. Crew will be expected to stand a regular watch (and act accordingly in that capacity), assist to lower and raise sails (boat has roller furling head sails), and cook meals on a rotational basis.

Smokers, drug-users, boozers and sailors who experience incapacitatiing sea sickness need not apply.

I have sailed on and off through much of my adult life. My previous boat was a 28’ MacGregor that I owned and sailed from Ventura, CA to and around the Channel Islands. I have sailed in various capacities on various boats around the world including around the San Juan islands in the Puget Sound, WA area, the Galapagos islands, Marlbourgh Sounds, New Zealand, and Vieques Island, Puerto Rico. In March/April 2003 I skippered the boat and crew on a succesful open ocean passage from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Charleston, SC. In October, 2002 I crewed aboard S/V Anita Kay (42’ ketch) from NYC to St. Thomas, USVI. I am a 37 year old heterosexual male, 16 year veteran Naval Reserve Aviator (I flew C-130s, P-3s, and currently fly the C-9). I am currently employed by Delta Air Lines as an MD-88 First Officer.

If you are interested please email me at ccannan@yahoo.com.

Tags
asa