Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59   #1

Want to crewing on Pacific east bound crossing

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and the sailing community, though I've been interested in and done bits of sailiing over the last 15 years from hobie cats, crewing for day races, taking private lessons to currently doing my competent crew.

I have resigned from my job and have decided to take 3 to 6 months off work and would like to head over to the Vancouver, Canada. Instead of just flying over I though it would be great to find a crewing spot on a yatch heading that way from March this year onwards. The only problem is that I've only found two posts over the last two weeks of searching of people wanting to head in that direction. Which makes me wonder why this is so? There seem to be lots of yatchs making the journey the other way, are the winds not favourable for an east bound passage at this time of year?

The two posts I've found are from cruiser log

Looking For Crew Nz To West Coast Of North America - World Cruising and Sailing Forums

and crewseeker

New Zealand to Vancouver
Reference: CS-3731-AD
Boat Details: 45 ft cutter rig
Destination: Vancouver, BC
Availability: Depart mid May 2009
Crew Requirements: All experience levels welcome
Financial Arrangement: Shared Contribution
Travel Expenses: Paid by Crew
Date Posted / Updated: 29/01/2009

Has anyone had any experience with crewseeker and think it worthwhile paying to be put in touch with the yatch?

Cheers

Vang
Old 02-02-2009, 05:03   #2

Crew available for east bound Pacific crossing

Hi,

I tried to update my previous post with more details about myself, but the edit functionality seems to be disabled. Anyway, I'm new to the forum and am looking for a crew position on a yatch that will get me to North America from Australia. I've search through this great forum and others and realised there are very few vessels heading in this direction. I'm thinking there's something I don't know!?

I finish my current job contract on the 28th Feb and have decided to take 3 to 6 months off work and would like to head over to Vancouver, Canada. Instead of just flying over I though it would be a heck of a lot more rewarding and adventurous to find a crewing spot on a yatch heading that way from March 09 onwards. The only problem is that I've only found two posts over the last two weeks of searching of people wanting to head in that direction. Which makes me wonder why this is so? There seem to be lots of yatchs making the journey the other way, are the winds not favourable for an east bound passage at this time of year? I'll be googling this after posting this.

I'm a software engineer who balances out a desk job with plenty of cross country moutain biking and rock climbing. I also scuba dive (open water SSI), surf when I'm close to a break, enjoy trekking and snowboarding. The main reason for moving to Canada is for the sailing and access to the mountains for all the outdoor activities. Like in my work, I approach all things I do with keen interest and the desire to become highly proficient.

I am 29, fit and capable and able to cook simple health concious/nutritous meals that taste decent, but wouldn't win any prizes. I'm clean and tidy.

I've been interest in sailing for 15 years, but have only done bits at a time. I started out on hobie cats on the Swan river in Perth, Australia did some dingy sailing lessons while at university, taken 5 hrs of private lessons on a 37" sloop, crewed three or four times for day races out at Manly, Brisbane, and currently doing my competent crew with Southern Cross Yatching, Manly, Brisbane.

If you have a position that would suite please contact me. I would be willing to fly to where ever you plan to depart from as long as I end up somewhere in the Americas.

Cheers

Vang

Tags
crewing