Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 11:55   #1

Volunteer for unpaid position

Hi everybody, my name is Luca and I'm new to this site.

I've been sailing all my life starting on an Optimist at the age of 7; recently I worked as a deckhand in a few short term yacht deliveries in occasion of Genoa International Boat Show. Last November I obtained the Italian Boating License which broaden my knowledge of cartography, navigation, sea security and meteorology.

I'm friendly, eager to learn and a hard worker. I speek fluent English, Italian and basic Spanish. I have STCW, Powerboat level 2, Eng 1 certificates and I own a B1/B2 visa.

Currently I'm living in Miami Beach, willing to volunteer for a unpaid position. My objective is to gather enough skills and miles to be able to get the Yacht Master certificate.

I'm looking for an experienced captain who would want to transmit his knowledge; either sailng or power boat, any lenght. I'm ready to embark immediatly and for a long period of time, preferably in Caribbeans but I'm willing to fly anywhere if you contribute for travel expanses.

If you are interested contact me here or at luca.pedevilla@gmail.com
Old 13-12-2013, 05:34   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 440
Re: Volunteer for unpaid position

Hello, Luca.
I saw your posting about your desire to crew on a boat. I am looking for crew to join me on a trip from Panama to Tortola, BVI in the very near future. The trip is about 1,500 nm and should take me from 4 to 5 weeks to complete, weather dependent of course. My target is to arrive in Tortola around the first week of February. Since I am not in a great hurry to get to BVI, we could be stopping in Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cuba, or Puerto Rico along the way. I would like to leave Panama as soon as possible after Christmas day.

My boat is a 2008 Catalina Morgan 440 sloop-rigged sailing yacht. It is in excellent condition and is outfitted for ocean going voyaging. She has sailed over 12,000 nautical miles in the past three years. I am a 56 year old male and retired two years ago to begin sailing around to visit some of the more beautiful places in the world. I can give you all the information about me or the boat you like if this sounds like an interesting trip for you. Email is alexanderaboard@gmail.com
Old 14-12-2013, 17:00   #3

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft
Hi Luca,
I am a French sailor in the Caribbean and I am looking for a crew for a voyage from Tobago, Trinidad &Tobago, to Tortola, BVI. This is a one-week sailing with one possible stop in Martinique, 500 nm in total.
Dates are 29/12/2013 - 04/1/2014.
I sail on a Catana 48 which had an extensive refit in 2012 and has full equipment.
Please ask for full details if interested.
Thank you for your response.
Old 15-12-2013, 07:03   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I frequently note a disconnect between "crew seeking opportunity" and "qualified skipper with decent vessel". Sometimes it's the crew that is just too inexperienced to do more than a fair-weather daysail, and other times it's the beer can sailor who is probably more of a danger to himself than would be the experienced crew.

This is more like it. Good crew, good skippers, good boats, or so it would appear. I hope it works out to the satisfaction of all concerned.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 16-12-2013, 07:23   #5

Hi guys, thank you for your answers!

@Bill Alexander I'm very interested, I've sent you an email.

@Teles PM sent.

@S/V Alchemy Thank you for your comment! I'm very serious about this, skippers and boats seem wonderful. Looks like we're gonna have a good time!

If anyone has more proposals, keep them coming!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:08   #6

Hi everybody!
To anyone interested, right now I'm in St Thomas, USVI, I just finished working for Cpt. Bill Alexander, we sailed for 40 days and over 2000nm starting in Panama. It was a great experience and now I'm looking for a new opportunity in the immediate future. I'm skilled, qualified and only require to get paid for food and transportation. Contact me here or at luca.pedevilla@gmail.com, I just realised that I misspelled the address in the first post