Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2012, 13:37   #1
Registered User
 
capt.Kelly7's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
USCG Equivalency for RYA / MCA ??

Hi my name is Kelly and I am relatively new to your forum..

I have a question, that I was hoping some of the members might help me with..I also did some searching before hand but didnt find what I was looking for..

Is there a cross over or an equivalancy test, or process to allow USCG credentials and licenses, to become recognized by the RYA /MCA?

I understand the STCW is a given but I'm particularly interested in my 1600 /3000 ITC, Ton Mates Ocean License having any benefit in the yachting world..?

Thank you for any thoughts in advance..
__________________

capt.Kelly7 is offline  
Old 29-12-2012, 19:17   #2
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,360
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.Kelly7
Hi my name is Kelly and I am relatively new to your forum..

I have a question, that I was hoping some of the members might help me with..I also did some searching before hand but didnt find what I was looking for..

Is there a cross over or an equivalancy test, or process to allow USCG credentials and licenses, to become recognized by the RYA /MCA?

I understand the STCW is a given but I'm particularly interested in my 1600 /3000 ITC, Ton Mates Ocean License having any benefit in the yachting world..?

Thank you for any thoughts in advance..
There is no official cross recognition of the RYA /DoT Yachtmaster offshore or ocean qualifications for ANY other qualifications, in that the RYA will not issue a YM cert without going through their exam process.

However individual agencies and or leisure vessels may except " equivalent" tickets at their discretion. It depends on what basis they are running their manning requirements to

In super yachting and commercial leisure boats in general are manned now to UK MCA standard. This means RyA YM is the entry ticket along with the 5 STCW95 basic courses. In recent years this industry has stepped up its compliance and the days of uncertified crew is virtually over, this is especially true in Europe, but applied virtually worldwide ( which is why IYT offers YM tickets in Florida )

If you know your onions, the RyA test is a simple one day ( and some night time) on water practical test. There is a requirement for 3000 sea miles but you probably have that.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 29-12-2012, 19:32   #3
Registered User
 
capt.Kelly7's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
Re: USCG Equivalency for RYA / MCA ??

Dave, thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it...Yes, I have the miles and the 'onions" as well...lol..
capt.Kelly7 is offline  
Old 29-12-2012, 19:38   #4
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,360
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.Kelly7
Dave, thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it...Yes, I have the miles and the 'onions" as well...lol..
Then depending on where you are you could do the IYT or the RYA YM. You might want a prep course before hand. You have to decide also whether its a YM sail or power ticket. I would recommend only doing the sail ticket as this covers in effect both.

You can get your YM Commercially endorsed by submitting the appropriate medical exam details to the MCA in the Uk, irrespective of where you live

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline  
Old 29-12-2012, 23:30   #5
Registered User
 
capt.Kelly7's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
Re: USCG Equivalency for RYA / MCA ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Then depending on where you are you could do the IYT or the RYA YM. You might want a prep course before hand. You have to decide also whether its a YM sail or power ticket. I would recommend only doing the sail ticket as this covers in effect both.

You can get your YM Commercially endorsed by submitting the appropriate medical exam details to the MCA in the Uk, irrespective of where you live

Dave
Again Dave, thank you for the reponse..

So, with the possibilty of a prep course and the actual practical test that should do it.?.That makes sense because the STCW codes issued to both USCG License holders and YM's are the same ..For example A-11/3 ..

The only real difference that I am seeing is the USCG requires sea days versus, the RYA, requiring sea miles..Also the RYA requires practical tests where in the US, we have assessments on certain portions of the various required courses..Also I saw something about the physical and unless I mis read it, wont the CG form 719K be accepted?

I see that I have a lot more to investigate but I really appreciate you assistance...

Kelly
capt.Kelly7 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.