Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 06:02   #1

Boat: Island Packet 38
USA East Coast through Caribbean November 2014

Hi, I am planning to sail my Island Packet 38 from the USA east coast, island hopping through the Caribbean, leaving this November once hurricane season has past. I am looking for someone with at least basic sailing skills, but more importantly compatible and easy to get along with, interested in assisting with boat handling, watches, etc, and sharing the experience with me.

If you are interested please contact me through this site, with some basic information about yourself, your sailing experience, expectations for the trip, availability, and any questions you might have for me.

Thanks, and fair winds

Colin
Old 28-06-2014, 07:52   #2

Boat: Catalina 25, Pearson 30, Coastal 45
Re: USA east coast through Caribbean November 2014

Which marina in Brunswick are you keeping the IP?
Old 28-06-2014, 09:00   #3

I am at Brunswick Landing Marina for the next month or two.
Old 28-06-2014, 11:17   #4

I have a thread that goes about year that has more details about me but I from the USA, very easy going, out going, don't drink or smoke but more than ok if you do, no issues in any way.

I have one week of sailing experience from earlier this year which I found on this great forum and eager to get on another boat!

Can you tell me a little bit more about your trip as in what islands you plan on going to and how long the trip will take?

And maybe a little bit more about your day to day?

I currently have completely open availability.

Very interested in hearing more!
Old 30-06-2014, 18:28   #5

Hi Colin,
I agree that compatibility is key. As to background, I teach basic sailing on the Potomac, was watch captain on Annapolis to Bermuda 2 yrs ago, crewed Annapolis to Newport last yr and I'm just back from a cruise from Balt to NYC and back, which I did instead of Bermuda this yr.
I have an interest in your trip, though think it might be better with a crew of 3 or 4, though that makes the dynamics more complicated.
Hope to hear back from you soon.
Regards,
John
Old 03-07-2014, 07:51   #6

Former Royal Marine, Ex RNLI Lifeboat Crew navigator and inshore ILB Senior Helmsman, currently unavailable to get to the east coast of US for the start of your trip. I am more interested in your plans in the Caribbean. We are moving to Antigua in Oct (both completing the yachtmaster offshore Jan'15 to May '15) and would welcome any sea time in and the area.
We are early '40's, easy going, motivated and trustworthy.
Sounds a great trip. Enjoy and good luck.....
Feel free to email..
Old 04-07-2014, 13:36   #7

Howdy!
I am a 40 year old world travelling Chef. I have a dozen years culinary experience and 40 years travelling experience. I was raised travelling in the Air Force and I haven't stopped. I have worked several years on a private island resort in the Caribbean (BVI-Cooper Island) and have been to almost every Caribbean island country. I have lived and worked in such remote places as Antarctica, Bay of Islands in New Zealand, and Denali Alaska. I have also toured many SE Asian countires, and I lived for three years in India. I will already be in the Caribbean and Central American coasts starting in October. I work seasonal resort jobs and I have been looking to get into the yachting world. Perhaps we can make a great team. I am also handy with tools.
-Chris
Old 06-07-2014, 21:04   #8

So, I don't know if you've found anyone to fill your crew yet, but I'm really interested. I've spent a large portion of this summer so far racing J24s on a beautiful lake up here in northern Idaho, and I've caught the bug real bad. If there are still open spots on your boat, I'd love to make the jump to salt water. Feel free to PM me.
Zach
Old 07-07-2014, 07:01   #9

Hey Colin, I know you're probably swamped with replies to this thread, I'm located in Jacksonville, and am interested in details on your trip.

I am 25, male, nonsmoker, and I never drink (although I used to) but have no problems with drinkers.

I fish, swim, and love to work. I also have several years experience working on diesel motors.

If you're interesting in checking compatibility, or perhaps meeting up for lunch, email me from the site. Or look me up on Facebook.

Best wishes!
Marshall h.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-07-2014, 15:35   #10

Boat: O'Day 240

Hi Colin, I would like to be your crew for a portion of your trip one week or two. I live in Orlando, sail my 24 feet Oday locally. I am looking to get experience with bigger boats. Welcome to check my facebook.
Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-07-2014, 15:16   #11

Boat: Member Boston Sailing Center

Colin:

I have made a similar trip to this before on an Island Packet and would agree with one of the other responders that 3 people would be better than 2. Please see my profile on this site for my sailing qualifications and experience. The time works for me, and I can pay for my own travel to and from the boat.

P.S. I know that we would be compatible because one of my favorite grandsons is named Colin.
Old 14-07-2014, 01:14   #12

Hi Colin,

I made a similar trip with my wife years ago -- but she won't go on long sailing trips anymore. We went from Annapolis to St. Kitts and back in a CSY44. I have lots of other experience too. Anyway, I'd be interested in a week or 2 on your boat. I live in Northern Fla now. Thanks

Andy
Old 22-08-2014, 13:22   #13

Thanks to everyone that responded to my ad, I have now found all the crew I need. I tried to get back to everybody, and wish you all fair winds.

Colin
Old 25-08-2014, 08:47   #14

Colin, Your voyage is my dream. I currently have a few sailboats but never seem to get out of the local waterways (New Jersey~NY) I am interested in hearing more about this and speaking with you. I meet the criteria you are looking for and look forward to chatting, I am new to this site but let me know how you would like to make contact. Best, Chris
Old 25-08-2014, 08:48   #15

Aha, I see later in the thread that you have found your crew. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and look for a crew to assist me also, best, Chris

Tags
Caribbean, east coast, rib, caribbean