Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 13:52   #1

US Male Medical Student Free NOW thru July!

Hi All!

Im currently on break from school and have from March through July (3-4mo) to join on any sailing vessels needing an extra hand for watch, cooking, cleaning, or anythng else that I can help with. I have funds and can help with fuel, food, and travel expenses as well. I've been lurking on here for some time and have been telling myself that I would jump at an oportunity for sailing offshore if I ever had the chance...I belive that's now.

About Me:

I'm a 30yo male living and going to school in Housotn TX. I grew up in Texas but have traveled abroad in Europe, Africa, Mexico, and South America. I love to travel but have yet to do any extended sailing. I'm pretty clever and handy. I'm also very eager to learn and carry my weight however that might be.

I graduated HS in 2003 and Joined the Marines in which I completed 3 Iraq tours as a Huey Door Gunner (UH-1N). I went to college in Philladelphia at the University of Pennsylvania (go Quackers!) and started Medica School at UT-Houston School of Medicin (now McGregor SOM) back here in Houston. Currently I'm between my 3rd and 4rth year of medical school. Boards are done, core rotations are done and now I have some free time on my hands before finishing up next year. I'ts still a long road ahead and I wont have much time to do anything like this in the next 5-7 years. I'm hoping to have the oportunity to fulfill a long-time goal of mine; water sailing">Blue water sailing as crew in some unique and interesting places among great people and hopefully new friends.

Other Interests:
I love to scuba dive, spearfish, golf, and reading/audiobooks. I've always been close to the water and have owned several boats- powered and sail.

Sailing Experience:
My only real claim to sailing has been on 2 occasions. 1) I rebuilt a J24 in Highschool and sailed it from Houston Texas to Miami with a girlfriend the summer after I graduated. 2) Rented a Lagoon 38 with some friends (and a different girlfriend) for a 7-Day trip in the bahamas....Other than that, that's all I got. I'm very responsible though and am up for any tasking. Night watch would be no problem for me nor getting up early for any chores on deck.

Personality:
I'm a very open minded person. I've no religious affiliation nor do I think poorly of anyone who has them - in fact I welcome the insight and love to learn about new cultures and people. I'm always laughing and it's actually pretty hard to get my spirits down. I'm very energetic and eager to help others. I do drink but don't smoke...unless I drink to much that is (which i typicall regret on both accounts). I'm a pretty smart guy and believe I have a pretty good since of humor - albeit relativly corny at times.

Skills:
I play a few instruments (piano, guitar etc). Cant sing or dance worth a flip but have been known to embarrass myself on occasuion by doing so (see drinking above). I'm very mechanically inclined and do most of my own auto maintenence. Im pretty savvy with smaller marine engines and electrical systems as well. I like to build things (barns, garages, furniture, etc). And for what its worth, I know a thing or two when it comes to medicine - First Aid, suturing, CPR, minor proceedures if needed...as well as some pretty sound but basic medical knowlege should someone become ill or need medical attention. Perhaps my main skill is adaptability. I'm pretty flexible with most situations good and bad - to include most poeple of all personalities. Im pretty easy going and usually keep to the perspective, "Well, i could be in Iraq"...so yeah not the most qualified in some ways but I really do think I could manage.

Goals:
Im an aspiring physician. One year left before I start residnency - likely in general surgery. I'm also an aspiring sailor. I've been "baot shopping" since I had access to the internet and indeed have every intent on one day owning my own vesel with hopes of sailing around the world for years at a time. I follow several video and online blogs from those that are already doing it (SV Delos perhaps my favorite). With this trip I hope to gain the experience and insight necessary to gain a realistic perspectiv on what that kind of trip might actually entail.

Physique:
Im pretty strong and athletic still. Weigh about 200lb and stand 6ft 1in. I work out fairly regularly and play sports: golf, basketball, and flag football mostly.

Finances:
I've some money saved and am willing to get myself to and from any boat on the planet if the trip fits my schedule. I'd also be willing to help with food, provisions, and fun should the need arise. Bartering for my work on the boat is also fine.

Anyway thanks for reading (if you made it this far). Hopefully there's someone out there looking for an extra hand and some good company for an extended passage over the summer. I'm not sure how else to go about this so advice is also welcome.

Thanks,
David
Houstn, TX
Old 24-03-2016, 17:01   #2

Re: US Male Medical Student Free NOW thru July!

Some pics of my (mis)adventures below...

Old 27-03-2016, 01:30   #3

Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS

Hello David.
I am leaving Houston to Atlantic City to take my boat to Miami next week.
Going Alone because my wife broke her arm late January and just not ready for coming along this time
PM your Facebook link address and we talk some more.

thank you
Alex
Old 27-03-2016, 07:29   #4

HI
Why not give me a call - I have a boat ready (30ft, older catamaran - very slow but solid; very good condition & and has a spare cabin) in Stuart FL and might be interested in a quick trip around Spanish key, Bahamas.

Eric
skype eric42p1
Old 27-03-2016, 08:19   #5

Hi
Eric here again!
I am definitely interested in a trip to the Bahamas from and would need a crew starting very soon

BTW - Boat is called Gone Feral

Cell phone is 206 462 9172
Old 30-03-2016, 14:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Twin mast 17m motor sailor

Hello David,
You are either not receiving my replies to your response to my ad or the messages sent to your phone.
If you have accepted another sailing offer or changed your mind about
joining our Ocean Safari to sail down down the East African coast, that is understandable. Just let me know.

PF
Ocean Safari.
Old 31-03-2016, 15:05   #7

If still available and interested in joining my crew in the Azores in early June for a passage to Morocco with a stop in Maderia please let me know.
I just brought the boat across the south Atlantic from St Helena to the Caribbean, 3800nm. She is a well equipped 50' pilot house cutter.
Thanks
Judy
windgypsy06atyahoodotcom
Old 01-04-2016, 00:27   #8

Hi,
I've sent you a PM a week ago. If interested just reply to my personal email (in the PM).
Michele
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45   #9

Boat: Bavaria 36

David,
I have been let down by crew and wonder if you are still available for crewing on ARC Europe commencing 7th May from Tortola?

Thanks Cliff
Yacht AWOL
Elan 444 Impression
Old 06-04-2016, 07:54   #10

Boat: Tai Chiao 41, 50 ft overall

Hi!

I am presently anchored outside Ixtapa and will be here at least until mid-April when my present crew(my daughter) goes back to the US. I plan to continue southward to Costa Rica, but maybe beyond. Stops in between are yet to be planned, but El Salvador is probable and other countries in between if I can find reliable and recent information on conditions for cruisers there.

Take a look at my blog at A Day in the Life | Blessed Lady to check out me and my boat. It hasn't been updated since last August, but I've since sailed to the Sea of Cortez and back again plus done a major facelift on the boat.

If you're interested, drop me an email at RANeyman@mac.com. If I'm interested, we'll talk more about details. Basically I'm cruising on my retirement income, so can't be extravagent. Then again, I try not to skimp when it comes to the integrity of my boat. If you cover your travel and your share of provisions, I will cover all boat costs.

Roy

Tags
cal, medical