Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 17:42   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 44
UPDATE: Tampa to NOLA

Several of you asked for an update on the trip, so here you are...

The Catamaran was being sailed from Tampa to NOLA because that was the closest DIY yard that could haul the 23'7" beam. The trip was made under sail alone. Other than the complete lack of wind for 5 days, the sail went well. The boat handled well. I just shot a rhumb from Tampa Bay to the east side of the oil fields. When I got to the oil fields, I didn't have enough wind to feel comfortable threading the needle, so I turned back out to the gulf and gave them a wide berth. As I approached the Rigolets, I tied the dink off the side and warmed up the motor. I timed the current, and God timed the wind and I was able to sail the length of the Rigolets. The Bridge Tender was sleeping when I tried to call to get under the Hwy 11, and a storm blew in, so I just anchored between the I-10 and Hwy 11. I passed the bridge in the morning, sailed across lake P, and pulled the Cat the few hundred yards into the industrial canal with the dink. It was less eventful that I was planning. "Hope for the best... but plan for the worst!" As it turns out, Seabrook Marine isn't able to lift the boat because the slipway is only 22'4" at its widest point.

So... I'm chillin' on the dock with a few boat drams and I'll look for another yard when I'm in the mood.

Thank you to all who gave me their safe wishes and my apologies to those that wanted to make the trip but didn't. And most of all, my apologies for my comments to the armchair sailor!
Old 15-05-2013, 05:57   #2

Re: UPDATE: Tampa to NOLA

Wow. Too bad that after the journey, they couldn't fit you on the lift. Good luck finding someplace that can.
Old 15-05-2013, 06:08   #3

Re: UPDATE: Tampa to NOLA

The Patti shipyard in Pensacola can haul you (crane), and they're DIY. Right now as we speak, there's a 25' beam Leopard 48 sitting on the hard, nearby is a 23 or so beam Voyage. No problem. It's a good place to go, I just got my Catana back in the water after spending 6 weekends (gotta work to pay for it) getting her work done. The Patti folks are nice and it was a good experience, and the rates are reasonable

Patti's Boat Storage