Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2009, 08:02   #1

Unusual Swedish / Irish couple available!

Swedish / Irish couple(49/58) looking for a host / hostess position (paid) in the Caribbean.

We're easy going, well travelled, fit, handy, outgoing, versatile, creative and well presented. Over the years, we've lived in Rome, London, Copenhagen, Santa Barbara, Cirencester and recently, 8 years in sunny Cape Town working in such areas as, film, animation, lecturing (University) classic car restoration, antiques, house management, furniture design, writing and so on. We've done a little sailing in the Caribbean (Puerta Plata - Bahamas). Right now we're in Sweden but available to travel anytime. Excellent references on equest + pics of ourselves.

Or perhaps, you need your home looked after by an experienced, reliable couple while you are out on the high seas! Hope to hear from you

Those of you who enjoy old cars, you might like to view a few of my African "bush" classics, log on to Pictures by Piers1 - Photobucket (Cape town movie prop vehicles)
Old 25-01-2009, 08:11   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Welcome Ingrid--Hope you find position. I am sure someone will respond with other places to liik.
John
Old 25-01-2009, 08:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome....you guys sound interesting and fun....good luck.
Old 25-01-2009, 08:56   #4

African "bush" classics!

Hi James,

Many thanks. Who knows! check out some of my African "bush" classics (movie prop cars) Pictures by Piers1 - Photobucket You may find them interesting! Keep well!

Piers

Life's a journey,not a destination"
Old 25-01-2009, 09:03   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
I did...they're extra cool....you're artists!
I love the classics.
I've got a old jeep I've been working on for a few years....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	6885  
Old 25-01-2009, 09:08   #6

Boat: Liberty 28 cutter
NEW THREAD

Can someone tell me how to start a new thread?? I just joined and that op does not seem available to me, maybe it takes a while?
Old 25-01-2009, 09:12   #7

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Hi there, welcome.

My grandmother's swedish/irish... Wonderful woman.

Cheers

Bill
Old 25-01-2009, 10:12   #8

African "bush" classics

Hi James,

Glad you liked them. Good luck with that Jeep.

Had a '71 Wagoneer in Cape Town - great vehicle and got me loads of shoots - featured in "The Piano Player "
Dennis Hopper/Christopher Lambart. Interesting film set in South Africa. Sadly, had to leave SA due to excalating crime/poverty. Great place - lots of characters/amazing scenery but with over 19000 murders (reported) a year, it was time to head somewhere else. Dominca sounds cool.

Keep well!
Old 25-01-2009, 10:32   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SA has always been on my "places to see" list but, alas I've heard to many people say the same about the crime!
Have you still got any of those cars?
Old 25-01-2009, 10:33   #10

James / Bill you might enjoy the below story! The '61 Chev is the first pic on the post above.

"RETURN TO SENDER"

On a recent South African "safari" up near the Cullinan mine, where the famous "Star of Africa diamond was discovered in 1905, I found my own "diamond in the rough"- a rare left hand drive, 5to7 seater '61 Chevrolet Suburban. Incredibly, after lying out under the harsh African sun for the last 30 years, the body had only minor rust. Granted it needed a bit of work but the only thing that really concerned me was the badly damaged, (yellow/black) curved windscreen. The owner, Monty (83), a sun baked, wily African Boer offered to sell it to me but only if I accepted his challenge - TO RETURN THE VEHICLE TO GM HEADQUARTERS! Somewhat amused, I told him I'd think it over and set off to check out another classic - a '35 Chevy Pick Up, on the Skeleton Coast, a heavily restricted diamond mining area in Namibia.

On route up to the Namibian border, I took a detour to check out a rare '53 Chevy hearse, lying abandoned in a local funeral parlour. This hearse looked like something you'd see in an early Bond film or used by Papa Doc's dreaded secret police, the Ton ton Macute to "voodoo" terrorize local Hatians. The somewhat suspicious, burly looking Afrikaaner who, after discovering I was an Irishman and not a "Brit" (these guys have long memories of the Anglo-Boer war!) agreed to sell me the vehicle. I knew this weather beaten hearse would be no problem to rent out on a Cape Town shoot and certainly compliment my other movie "prop" classics. Or maybe I'd paint it black / cream, tint the windows and approach Guinness (my favourite drink) to see if they'd be interested in launching a unique marketing campaign. "Dead on Time" wouldn't be a bad slogan!

Driving through the sweltering Namibian desert, my thoughts kept returning to that "burb in the bush". As a Chevrolet enthusiast, I just couldn't leave it there to "RIP" (rust in peace!) This old classic had plenty of life left in it. Suddenly, I got an idea. Why not take up Monty's challenge? I could easily fix it up, ship it over to Buenos Aires, drive it over the Andes into Chile, up through South / Central America / Mexico, to GM headquarters! Who knows, maybe those GM marketing dudes could use this old Chevy for a unique publicity / poster campaign or exhibit it in their museum! With some serious current losses, these lads needed all the help they could get!

A few hours later, over a well earned, cold beer in the Namibian coastal town of Luederitz, I was still thinking about Monty's "burb in the bush" when another idea flashed into my head..... Why not drive it up through South Africa to Mombasa? I'd begin in Cape Town, travelling up through South Africa, into Botswana, stopping to view some amazing wildlife in the Okavanga Delta. My next destination would be Vic Falls, following the Zambesi river through Zambia / Malawi / Tanzania with maybe a detur into Rwanda / Uganda and finally into Kenya. In Nairobi, I could do all the post production at a friend's film studio and then concentrate on pre-selling the "doccie" to various TV networks like National Geographic, BBC and so on. If the "doccie" was well received, I could drive down to Mombasa, ship the "burb" to Buenos Aires and head to Detroit. Mind you with all those pirates off the Kenyan coast, there's a risk the "burb" would end up ferrying a load of AK-47 pirates around Somalia which wasn't exactly in my plans!

Over another ice cold, "Windhoek", another idea flashed into my head! Why not make a road trip TV "doccie? Surely viewers and those TV network lads must be fed up with all those reality shows? Here was a true life adventure! Everything was in place - a cool, rugged, weather-beaten vehicle, spectacular scenery, plenty of classics to track down and interesting characters to interview about their cars / lives. I had the time, passion, experience, energy and with all my Cape Town movie contacts, it wouldn't be difficult to round up a motley crew of 3/4.

Sadly, I wasn't exactly flush having invested considerably in my own '40's -'60's collection of Bentleys / Chevy Pick Ups and so on. Granted, renting them out as Cape Town movie "prop" vehicles did pay for some of those costly "hospital" bills but if I was serious, I'd have to find a partner. I felt pretty confident any investment would be taken care of from DVD / TV network sales.... Any adventurous souls out there?
Slan
The Celt

"Life's a journey, not a destination!"

Old 25-01-2009, 10:47   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You guys are having waaaaaay to much fun...as I read this my wife is tightening the knots.