Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 07:30   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
UK to Portugal - July12-24

On July 13th we will be departing on a 7-9 day sailing trip from Portsmouth, UK to Porto, Portugal. We are looking for additional crew hands to assist on watch. If you would like to get extra experience and add an "Ocean Crossing" across the Bay of Biscay to your resume, we'd love to hear from you and talk further details. This is a share-expense trip and from porto you would need to arrange travel back home.
Old 23-06-2013, 05:43   #2

Re: UK to Portugal - July12-24

Its a shame you are not going a couple of weeks later! I would be very interested if you were :-)
Old 23-06-2013, 11:43   #3

Hi, I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I have limited experience, my only previous passage was five days around the east cape of New Zealand, and I have no professional training, but I'm very enhusiastic about building more experience and keen to learn. If you're looking for an extra pair of hands please let me know. Cheers, Jake
Old 24-06-2013, 10:55   #4

Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLondon View Post
Hi, I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I have limited experience, my only previous passage was five days around the east cape of New Zealand, and I have no professional training, but I'm very enhusiastic about building more experience and keen to learn. If you're looking for an extra pair of hands please let me know. Cheers, Jake
Jake, I sent you a PM regarding this information. Good to hear from you.
Old 29-06-2013, 01:52   #5

It seems one of the crew mother has died and can not participate. Here is the details of the trip. Please respond if still interested.
We are leaving the 13th from hayling island at low tide, unfortunately we will not be in town until the 12th, so our meeting before departure would be short. We are boots on ground, have a food delivery from Tesco. Do a quick systems check on electronics, get fuel and we are out the door. We are going to scale the coast towards falmouth where we will launch southwest before heading back south east to come in just south of the spanish ridge. Myself and Steffi, have not done a Crossing before. We will have SSB, VHF, findmespot tracking, GPS, tablet integrated weather fax, as well as other gadgets along. We would require a list of items that you would like to eat in order for us to provide for your taste. As well as shared expenses on the said food, as well as shared cost of fuel(which shouldn't be much). As well as shared cost on any mooring fees up the south coast of britian. We will not be able to plot a desired weather routing until closer to departure, but will keep you posted on the extra information. If you have any weather monitoring experience, or have the time to look/learn this information it is a great skill to acquire and I highly recommend.

Additional information on crossing.

Crossing Biscay - A Weatherman's Perspective/ Franks-Weather | The Weather Window
Old 29-06-2013, 02:13   #6

Whilst in no way wanting to p*** on your parade, your link to Frank's site is very pertinent, in particular the bit about the direct route that says:

"
Clearly, this is not a venture to be undertaken lightly and many find the prospect daunting. The ever present possibility of strong winds make this passage far from ideal for many family or lightly crewed cruising yachts.
I suggest that the "outside" route should not be undertaken unless both boat and crew are equipped, and prepared, to full blue water standards."

It's 800NM give or take, the first 150NM into prevailing SW winds. Entirely do-able, but I'm concerned about your timescale! If I were doing it (and I have) I would be allowing at least 2 weeks for this trip. Not because it will certainly need it, but to avoid the pressure to press on which we all feel when pushed for time, with a destination to get to. It can lead to poor decision making.......

I would urge you to invest in a liferaft and EPIRB too - not because you'll need them but having them will make you feel much better when Falmouth slips below the horizon behind you! Also check the Portuguese authorities requirements at Lagos Navigators Home Page - they were quite onerous but have been relaxed somewhat for transit yachts - still worth knowing about.
Old 29-06-2013, 06:22   #7

Not at all did I take that as "p***" on my parade as you put it. Any and all feedback is welcomed and encouraged. We would hate to go out while someone was too frugal to share their knowledge. I posted the link, because I have thoroughly read the link.

Obviously we have a EPIRB, and a life raft. Although I did not list them, i Thought these were common knowledge. Also We have allowed 17 days for the journey, but am shooting for 9, then 12, then 17. Allowing not to pressure for weather windows, and other mishaps. Safety is the number one rule.

Thank you for your kind critiques which were very welcome. I would rather be pressed to be over prepared then ever think I am ominous and have thought of and researched of every possible angle, although we try.

Tags
Portugal, portugal