Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 06:16   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
UK to Baltic May 2016

The Third Annual SV Dockhead Baltic Odyssey begins on May 1, as usual.

This year it will be done in two legs:

Southampton -- Copenhagen

then after a break

Copenhagen -- Helsinki

The first starts on 1 May, and depending on the weather (this is the North Sea, after all!) will be done one of three ways:

1. If good weather, nonstop Southampton to Helgoland, about three days and nights. Relaxation on that peculiar island, stocking up on fuel, drinks, and duty free items. Then Helgoland -- Kiel Canal -- Kiel. Then Kiel to Copenhagen by day sails via Gedser etc.

2. If less good weather, and more Southerly weather, then coastal hopping during good weather windows via some combination of Dover, Dunkirk, Oostende, Den Haag, Den Helder, etc. to Helgoland or straight to Cuxhaven, then as previously.

3. If less good weather, and more Westerly weather, than coastal hopping up the UK East Coast, then crossing the North Sea to Den Helder in a good weather window, then on to Helgoland etc.

Arrive Copenhagen by middle of May.

Then, Leg 2 Copenhagen-Helsinki starting about 29 or 30 May, a more leisurely cruise via Sweden South and East Coasts, Gotland, Estonian Islands, Tallinn (unmissable Tallinn), Helsinki. Depending on the wind, we might take a more Southerly route for the sake of variety. Arriving in Helsinki about the middle of June.

We are a well-found, strong, fast 54' sailing yacht with seven berths, a Moody 54 of 2001. Optimum crew is four or five people. I am not sure how many free berths we have as my old regular crew (you know who you are!) has priority, but looks like two.

Boat is well-equipped for safety, and for fast, comfortable sailing, with two life rafts (one brand new, and one just serviced), all communications gear, EPIRB, AIS MOB beacons, recently-serviced life vests, jackstays, etc., etc., etc. Boat was recently equipped (last year) with new carbon laminate sails, and is fun to sail.

Looking for a few good men (and/or women) to join in the fun on this trip, our third along this wonderful, wonderful route in so many years. Possible to participate in one or both legs. Revert by PM please.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 19-01-2016, 06:25   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: UK to Baltic May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Third Annual SV Dockhead Baltic Odyssey begins on May 1, as usual.

This year it will be done in two legs:

Southampton -- Copenhagen

then after a break

Copenhagen -- Helsinki

The first starts on 1 May, and depending on the weather (this is the North Sea, after all!) will be done one of three ways:

1. If good weather, nonstop Southampton to Helgoland, about three days and nights. Relaxation on that peculiar island, stocking up on fuel, drinks, and duty free items. Then Helgoland -- Kiel Canal -- Kiel. Then Kiel to Copenhagen by day sails via Gedser etc.

2. If less good weather, and more Southerly weather, then coastal hopping during good weather windows via some combination of Dover, Dunkirk, Oostende, Den Haag, Den Helder, etc. to Helgoland or straight to Cuxhaven, then as previously.

3. If less good weather, and more Westerly weather, than coastal hopping up the UK East Coast, then crossing the North Sea to Den Helder in a good weather window, then on to Helgoland etc.

Arrive Copenhagen by middle of May.

Then, Leg 2 Copenhagen-Helsinki starting about 29 or 30 May, a more leisurely cruise via Sweden South and East Coasts, Gotland, Estonian Islands, Tallinn (unmissable Tallinn), Helsinki. Depending on the wind, we might take a more Southerly route for the sake of variety. Arriving in Helsinki about the middle of June.

We are a well-found, strong, fast 54' sailing yacht with seven berths, a Moody 54 of 2001. Optimum crew is four or five people. I am not sure how many free berths we have as my old regular crew (you know who you are!) has priority, but looks like two.

Boat is well-equipped for safety, and for fast, comfortable sailing, with two life rafts (one brand new, and one just serviced), all communications gear, EPIRB, AIS MOB beacons, recently-serviced life vests, jackstays, etc., etc., etc. Boat was recently equipped (last year) with new carbon laminate sails, and is fun to sail.

Looking for a few good men (and/or women) to join in the fun on this trip, our third along this wonderful, wonderful route in so many years. Possible to participate in one or both legs. Revert by PM please.
Heh, Heh, Heh - you're trying to tempt me - But I can't since I'm finishing our boat for taking off on our RTW.

But I can heartily recommend sailing this trip with Dockhead. Good company, good boat. good food. good drinks when in the harbour and an occasional storm tossed in to keep everyone on their toes

I've sailed both ways with Dockhead and if I had the time would happily do it again this year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 19-01-2016, 06:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Heh, Heh, Heh - you're trying to tempt me - But I can't since I'm finishing our boat for taking off on our RTW.

But I can heartily recommend sailing this trip with Dockhead. Good company, good boat. good food. good drinks when in the harbour and an occasional storm tossed in to keep everyone on their toes

I've sailed both ways with Dockhead and if I had the time would happily do it again this year.
I knew you were out! I was referring to various other treasured former crew members.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 04-02-2016, 12:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

We wife and I might be interested.

Raul & Johanna

RaulJohanna162@gmail.com

Raul Valdivia CV .pdf

Johanna Edieux cv.pdf
Old 04-02-2016, 12:09   #5