Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 10:19   #1

UK to Australia/ March-May 2012 Start

Hey All,
I'm intending to sail my 27fter from south coast of UK to Australia starting between Mar and May of next year (2012)....my original thought was to sail single hand to the Azores as part of JC and then take on a couple of ppl to sail with me to Australia...the alternative is to set off from UK with a crew...not really bothered either way I guess it depends on ppl etc...I am posting quite early as I'd like to be able to sail a few weekends with interested people to at least see if we get along lol...

Bit about me, in my mid 30s, rather easy going and straight forward coast and country raised bloke (ex navy tho have saild a few long passages, not been at sea for a while so plan is to leave the missus home (she doesnt like open water, used to me not being there and agreed to meeting me at various ports etc when I set off next year and sail back to my home town, Sydney (and who knows maybe beyond...)

If anyone is mad/keen enough then would be great to hear from you, will be based in Portsmouth (she is currently in Preston so will be sailing her next month down to Portsmouth) and plan to sail her throughout the winter, then lift before the big trip (so around March time) and take off shortly (ish) afterwards...
Old 23-08-2011, 11:17   #2

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Re: UK to Australia Mar-May 2012 start

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquilayacht View Post
Hey All,
I'm intending to sail my 27fter from south coast of UK to Australia starting between Mar and May of next year (2012)....my original thought was to sail single hand to the Azores as part of JC and then take on a couple of ppl to sail with me to Australia...the alternative is to set off from UK with a crew...not really bothered either way I guess it depends on ppl etc...I am posting quite early as I'd like to be able to sail a few weekends with interested people to at least see if we get along lol...

Bit about me, in my mid 30s, rather easy going and straight forward coast and country raised bloke (ex navy tho have saild a few long passages, not been at sea for a while so plan is to leave the missus home (she doesnt like open water, used to me not being there and agreed to meeting me at various ports etc when I set off next year and sail back to my home town, Sydney (and who knows maybe beyond...)

If anyone is mad/keen enough then would be great to hear from you, will be based in Portsmouth (she is currently in Preston so will be sailing her next month down to Portsmouth) and plan to sail her throughout the winter, then lift before the big trip (so around March time) and take off shortly (ish) afterwards...
Best of luck! See you when you get here.

Greg
Old 23-08-2011, 13:22   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

How much water can you carry?

How much fuel can you carry?

Outboard motor?

Genset?
Old 23-08-2011, 13:39   #4

It has a decent inboard (volvo md2), fuel about 10 gal, water currently 20 gal will probably extend that and charging will be from the inboard....
Old 24-08-2011, 08:29   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Don't want to be a spoil sport but you'll be hitting the Caribbean at the start of Hurricane Season - June to October - not a good time!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
Old 25-08-2011, 08:50   #6

Re: UK to Australia/ March-May 2012 Start

Indeed...broadly aware of the seasons, hence if I was to singlehand to Azores then would wait till November..but it looks more likely that I will go with a couple of people so will cross the bay of biscay in summer, get to the Canaries and wait there till Nov then cross over to the Carribean... with an aim to get sput out the other side of Panama canal around March the following year...otherwise it would have to be a year in the Carribean which probably wouldnt be hard to take lol
Old 07-09-2011, 10:26   #7

Hi there,
Just came across this post while looking into crewing on yachts based in the UK. This opportunity seems a bit more extreme than I was looking for, but thought once in a lifetime trip and a great start into what I hope to be a future career if all things go to plan.

I am a 25 year old with no experience on yachts at the present time, I do however have just over a years experience on small dinghies and Hawk 20's. Although 25 I did start learning to sail at a late age compared to most the people I know and have seemed to pick up skills like a duck to water. I'm not sure if you are willing to take someone on with limited experience so it may seem like a long shot on my behalf.

I feel that I am a fast learner and get on with the job at hand without complaint. I am self motivated with a good sense of humour. If you would like to know more about myself then I will happily answer anything you want to know.

I was born and raised in Glasgow, yet moved down to Plymouth around 3 years ago. Now looking into yacht passages to get me started and gain valuable experience.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Iain
Old 15-09-2011, 18:27   #8

Ahoy there,

Sounds like a great passage, would be seriously interested in talking to you further about the details and possibly joining you.

I'm from Devon UK originally now in Sydney. Ex forces too.

Have a Yachtmasters Offshore but not done any big ocean miles yet, hoping to notch up a few, not sailed much in the last year but getting back into it with some club racing. My father did the JC to Rhode Island last year and is doing the 2012 Azores trip too.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 15-09-2011, 18:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK to Australia/ March-May 2012 Start

I think I'd stick with 1 crew for the Canaries - St Lucia... carrying food and water for 2 is manageable but 3... you'll need either a water maker or...
very strict rationing... and perfect conditions to get you across...
The rest... before and after till the Pacific is technically Coastal.... then down to 2 again...
That said... I wish you success... whichever way you go..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:28   #10

Hey I'm in, joining the Navy next year though so I'd ave to be back for that!

Tags
arc, Australia