Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
U.S.A. - We are a non-smoking husband and wife team in our late 40s, wanting to crew.

We both have just passed our Master 100 ton Inland with Auxiliary Sail and Assistance Towing Endorsements and STCW (our tickets should come in April).

2001 we sailed from Curacao to Vanuatu on the Soren Larsen.
2002 we sailed from Vancouver to San Francisco on the R. Tucker Thomson.
2003 graduates of Square Sail & Falmouth Marine School Able Seaman Certificate in Square Rig.
Worked on the A. J. Meerwald from spring of 2004 - spring of 2006.

Something like 500 days sea time each. Over 15,000 ocean miles each.

We are looking for sailing opportunities and are flexible as to size of boat, itinerary etc.
Old 07-02-2007, 14:27   #2
cruiser

Charles, I'm sure you are aware since it sounds like you are in the industry, but did you do already register with all the crew agencies in Ft Lauderdale?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:32   #3

pirate

Hey ssullivan,

I have registered with a few but we are not really looking for a job as much as experience on smaller boats. Yachts are rigged differently then tall ships and use different techniques. When you are working on a 100’+ boat you get very few chances to take her off the dock and put her back on etc. A yacht delivery would really fit the bill.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:39   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Just an idea, but have you asked on YBW.com? UK based forum - but with the $ / £ exchange rate a few people seem to ask questions now and again about buying over in the US, either to bring to UK or Med or even to the Caribbean.

Yachting and Boating World: Viewing list of forums

(Just a word of caution, some members do like folk to have a few posts under their belts before offering services / appearing to be trying to get something - but most of them are ok)
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48   #5
cruiser

Also, don't neglect talking to yacht brokers. Often (very often) boats need to be moved for boat shows. Other times, a private sale might warrant a delivery.
Old 07-04-2007, 23:28   #6

SD to Hawaii?

Hey Charles, if you are still interested and availabe, it sounds like you'd both be perfect for a sail from San Diego to Hawaii. I have an Islander 36, solid boat, recent re-fit, new sails, etc., that I need to have in Hawaii as soon as I can. I may or may not be able to make the trip myself. If you want to know more, let me know.
r//Tom
Old 08-04-2007, 03:22   #7

Hey Tom,

This is the way it always seems to go. Just as soon as you get something set up all kinds of other opportunities pop up. I will be joining the 137’ three-masted schooner S/V Denis Sullivan (http://voyage.pierwisconsin.org) as the 2nd mate on April 19th. We will be relocating the ship from Washington DC to Milwaukee WI via the Saint Lawrence Seaway . This should take us about 6 weeks. After this my wife and I will be looking for other sailing opportunities for the summer.

Good Luck on your trip.

Best Regards
Charlie Cook
Old 08-04-2007, 03:47   #8

sounds like a good trip! 6 weeks, eh? I may still be in the market for captain and crew come June, ya never know...

Good luck. when you're done with this trip, or if your schedule changes, or if you know of any one wanting to get to Hawaii via the scenic route, please get in touch! Aloha!!