Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2014, 19:08   #1

Traveler looking for sailing EXPERIENCE! Open-ended. Short notice OK. Where ya goin'?

I'm a 43 y/o former radio "personality", now living in Chicago, who has spent parts of the last 6-years writing, and also producing videos/podcasts about my experiences hitching & backpacking around the US & Central America.

While in Rio Dulce, Guat. in 1/13, I hung out with a captain who piqued my interest in sailing as a means to get around, see new places, and to meet people! I even considered buying a small, cheap boat while I was there, but know next to nothing about sailing...other than I want to learn. The situation wasn't right to commit then. It is now.

I would love to find a crewing opportunity with someone who is willing to teach a motivated, eager student. I'd want to learn everything I can to make me a more viable crew member moving forward. Not much a cook, but I can try! Also, if it's a concern, I won't be producing anymore personal media, although I'm happy to help produce yours if you want.

I don't smoke or indulge in drugs. I drink occasionally, but it's not a factor whatsoever. Drinkers or abstainers: I'm fine with either, and it won't be an issue with me. I have times when I can be reclusive and quiet, but hitchhiking & Couchsurfing, successfully, has shown I can get along with ALL kinds of people! (See my profile, below, for references) I survived a ride across the Rocky Mountains with a drunk, future famous cop-killer, AND spent a weekend at the Oregon Yacht Club home of a terminally-ill Portland billionaire. People who pick up hitchhikers are ALWAYS interesting; I have endless stories! I want more. From other continents! Traveling, experiences, and the people I meet are my passion; and I'd rather work aboard a boat than pay more airlines!

My budget is low & fixed; fully "shared expenses" are not an option for me. But my time is wide open. My primary concern is destination. I would happily return to Mexico or Central America, but would love disembarking someplace I haven't been. With some notice, other continents are certainly in play. Even preferred.

I can board anywhere in the US, or, under the right circumstances and for longer/more unique voyages, possibly Mexico, Guatemala, or the Bay Islands, with extended notice.

Contact me directly with your details, or questions:

toddzillax_at_gmail.com

Couchsurfing profile: https://www.couchsurfing.org/profile.html?id=3CC16K

Tags
enc, sail, sailing