Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Transatlantic - December - Canaries-Caribbean

We are sailing across the Atlantic mid to late December to bring in the new year crossing the Atlantic ocean. We are taking a 26 foot Centaur and have room for 6, but with two on board. It would most comfortably fit two more bodies.

Thanks. More info to follow.
Old 03-06-2013, 13:08   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Transatlantic - December - Canaries-Caribbean

This is a very small boat for 4 persons to do the crossing

BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Westerly Centaur 26
Old 03-06-2013, 13:37   #3

Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Love your buddy, Love your friend.

Bigger isn't always better, although I might have to extend the deck so that I can dance the jig like this crew.

Sailing West Around The World 2012 - 2014 | Welcome to the adventures of Sailing Yacht Lush!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transatlantic - December - Canaries-Caribbean

So... 2 in V berth... 2 in the quarter berths and two more on the converted dining area...
Accommodation is not going to be the problem... if you can average 100 miles a day it'll take you 25-30 days to cross... unless you stop at Barbados to replenish..
I'm familiar with Westerly's and their storage is amongst the best I've seen... but with 4 your going to be pushing the boundaries for food/water and personal stuff...
Best of luck with the trip

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:29   #5

Hello!

I might be interrested. My father lives on St. Martin and I've promised to come visit him this winter. It would be my first crossing but I've done some sailing both in the Swedish archipelago and around some of the Carribbean islands. I'm 19 years old, cheap in maintanance and a pretty decent cook. I also have the first commercial boating degree available in Sweden.

In other words, I'd love to hear some more details about this trip!

Take care untill then,

Nick
Old 15-06-2013, 11:20   #6

Hi! If you're still looking for a crew, I'd love to help out. I'm a 26 year old female, easy going, reliable, and looking to learn. I work in natural foods and teach yoga on the side. I love to cook healthy meals and keep a clean kitchen. I am working towards an Off-Shore Passage Making ASA cert and have received certificates in 2 person-cat and basic keelboat sailing. By the time of your trip I will also have extensive San Francisco Bay Area crewing experience and a Celestial Navigation course under my belt, hopefully more. I crewed a 40-foot yacht in the Catalina islands in Southern California for a summer.
Let me know if you have any questions! Sounds like you are about to embark on a wonderful journey!
Simone
Old 21-06-2013, 07:21   #7

On July 13th we will be departing on a 7-9 day sailing trip from Portsmouth, UK to Porto, Portugal. We are looking for additional crew hands to assist on watch. If you would like to get extra experience and add an "Ocean Crossing" across the Bay of Biscay to your resume, we'd love to hear from you and talk further details. This is a share-expense trip and from porto you would need to arrange travel back home.

The transatlantic will be departing on December 15th and we are still looking for able bodies to enjoy the new year with us!

Ciao!
Old 23-06-2013, 07:39   #8

Hi! Just a little bit late for joining the portugal crossing, but when are you planning on doing portugal - canaries? I would like to join for the atlantic crossing as well, but it is always nice to join for an experience before to know how we get along.

I'm 21 years old, male and just finished my bachelor in Economics and Informatics in an English taught program. I have been sailing from an early age on: both at yachts with my parents (Netherlands, France (Atlantic side), Greece, Italy, Croatia) and in a sailing school as a sailing instructor and trainer (instructor of instructors) in both dingies and keel boats.
Old 26-06-2013, 03:41   #9

Hy I would be interested for the trans atlantic ride, do you still need sailing bodies?
Old 26-06-2013, 22:57   #10

We have not guarenteed any spots for the transatlantic yet. We are still far off the actual trip and haven't locked anything in with anyone. We would gladly look at prospective crew/passengers. It would be a cost shared trip, and alot of details would have to be ironed out about, where we would leave, when we would leave, etc...and courdinate with each passenger. Convience is key. If a person can fly to the Take Off point, that would be convient.
Old 27-06-2013, 02:04   #11

I'll send you a pm
Old 27-06-2013, 16:58   #12

Ok! good to heer... I would hitchhike there, but it would not need much time...
Old 27-07-2013, 08:26   #13

Well we made it to Porto. That means just four months to get siked for the crossing.
Old 27-07-2013, 08:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transatlantic - December - Canaries-Caribbean

Good one...
If your looking for anchorages I believe Peniche is now open again for anchoring short term... inside the breakwater and to Stbd... fishing boats are a pain tho'.... same at the small 'marina'...
There's a nice Lagoon at Aviero but don't try the entrance in any weather...
Otherwise its all marina's till Cascais where you can drop the hook in the Bay.. being a bilgekeeler's gonna be well handy...
then there's some nice spots round the headland by Setubal... but the best are on the Algarve.. Alvor.. Portimao... Olhau/Faro.. Tavira...
Keep moving and enjoy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-07-2013, 02:14   #15

Hi,
I did cross the Atlantic back and forth several times. the worst, ever, trip I had was in December / January. This time of year you kind of lose the trade winds and may encounter some head winds or no wind at all. You may want to consider leaving one month or so earlier.