Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 06:51   #1
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'
TransAt: Caribbean to Gibraltar - May 2011 - 2 More Crew Wanted

Hi all

Mojomo (50ft catamaran) is making its return to Europe from St martin in the caribbean via Azores in May 2011. Fancy a trip? This is the boat's 10th transat in 5 years, my 9th (the first owner hated it so it bought the boat...) so it's a well-sorted boat with watermaker, generator, loads of safety gear incl AIS, satphone, medical kits galore etc etc.

I have three of us in total so far, and five is a nice number for this boat and for our favourite watch system. I run four crew 3 hours on, six hours off, and the spare crew is "mom" and makes lunch and evening meal, tidies up. I'm on call 24/7 to help out sailing, cooking, anything and everything.

This is a shared costs trip - Mojomo is not a commercial boat. I pay for eveything i wd pay if going alone - diesel, boatbits, spares, marina fees. You pay the marginal costs of "you" which means you pay your flites, food/drinks ashore, and a share of food. This share of food on board is likely going to cost around $400 for the total around 3weeks at sea. You need your own personal insurance and own insurance for your stuff too, if you want insurance. Altho nobody has claimed for stuff on any of my trips so far....

We all assemble in st martin, go to the supermarket for a giant shopping expedition, then get plenty of fuel, and head off to Azores. There's usually time for some crew bonding sessions at the bar before we go. We stop at Horta for possible refuel, bit more food, bit more crew bonding, 2-3 nites weather permitting, then off toward portugal, possible stopover there just a nite or so, or perhaps straight to Gibraltar, depends on weather.

Dates: This trip will take up pretty much the whole of May. Crew shd try arrive st martin (airport code = SXM) say 3rd/4th May and we'll plan to set off on the Saturday which i think is 7th May unless the weather is godawful. Incidentallly the weather isn't usually godawful - May to June is very best time to make this trip weatherwise. 2 ish weeks to azores, then another week ish to Gibraltar means we'll be targetting Gib for end of May.

You can google blogs under blog.mailasail/mojomo and there's a nice slideshow of previous trip under my youtube username "tcmvideo1"

Oh er and I'm 50 going on 23, other half is female 42 also done a transat, also due along is Todd who is 62 going on 18, (he says) and he's done at least one transat, and we're all brits. You should speak English fluently so we can chat and explain things. If you're, like, North American you should speak, like, yerknow, English and we'll along fine.

You need enough sailing experience to know you don't get seasick. You do't need to have done a transat. Male or female is fine, i spose one of each wd balance things, or whatever.

Oh and you need to be not too hung up on religion politics etc cos that can get in the way. However, we did play a memory game the other day to remember the ten commandments, but that doesn't count as being religious.

It's very good if you're intelligent, but then that always the case, isn't it? Age-wise, the youngest who has done this trip with me was 21, oldest was 63, great guys. If you're the sort of person who will happily do just about anything and expects the same of others, it'll probably be fine, or better than fine. You won't fit in if you're fussy/faddy about food and/or vegetarian - we won't be taking weird roote vegetables nor making lentil burgers. Todd reckons he is a hotshot amateur chef - perhaps you too? - so it might get competitive in the cookery department.

Sailingwise i try show-how a lot so the crew sails the boat, and after a few days they know enough so i hardly touch the wheel. I'm not a purist sailor tho - if we can't make 6knots i'll likely turn on a motor (or get you to...) cos although sailing is god fun, bobbing around inthe ocean for days/weeks isn't that much fun. There can be several days or more of flat calm or not enough wind to shift along.

Contact me if interested - best is email on noteasytoremember at hotmail dot com.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:30   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
sounds like fun. Wish I could go.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48   #3

Ahoy Mojomo:

Calling up from Canada, yes I do understand English, actually I was married to a Brit once, so I already get the crew's humour.
I love sailing, my experience is crew not skipper as of yet. (mono-haul)
Your trip sounds "smashing" I would be interested to know if you have found crew yet?
Thanks and I will try you at the other email address as well.
Cheers Jan
Old 12-02-2011, 17:38   #4

Boat: 1979 Hunter Cutter 37
Sounds like a blast... I'd like to go but the timing may be off. Best of luck.

Cheers... Tom.
Old 12-02-2011, 17:58   #5

This would be a fun trip......I will be contacting you..I hope i can get a spot on this adventure..I am 28 and ready to see the world...Well hope to talk with you soon.. Shawn
Old 12-02-2011, 21:25   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I'm not interested but really like your crew wanted post. It hits on the important parts of getting crew. You have faults, so do I, and we need to accept and forget them.

Where are you in St. Martin? I'll be there in a couple weeks for the Heineken Regatta.
Old 13-02-2011, 05:35   #7

Greating

Hi both,

wish you all best for team building and atlantic crossing.
I may be arround St. Martin until May, let me know when you are there, we may have a beer there.

Marcel.
Old 17-02-2011, 14:54   #8

hi there i just came across your post and am very excited about it. i've been on boats my whole life and is my passion. ive worked on a whale watching boat and also a shuttle\harbor tour\booze cruise boat. i spent 4 years in the us coast guard reserves. although im not an experienced sailer i have taken a basic sailing course and spent a summer sailing a small catamaran. i have a hunger to learn and am free spirited and down to earth
Old 28-02-2011, 09:36   #9

Boat: Leopard 42 cat
Re: TransAt: Caribbean to Gibraltar - May 2011 - 2 More Crew Wanted

Good morning,

this is my second attempt at a reply, although I have written to you at the email address you suggest.

I would love to do the trip with you as I live on the Caribbean coast of Panama, I sail, I eat Marmite sandwiches which ensures that Australians are at an arms length, I love night sailing, am very sociable, am English, can cook, tolerate most things and most of all, I am very available, solvent and love catamarans.

I hope to hear from you,

Best wishes

Philip James
Old 01-03-2011, 14:33   #10

Hi
I have no official sailing experience but am an avid Master Scuba Diver and am looking to gain experience on the water. I don't get sea sick, learn fast and am a great cook (do catering on the side). I'm from Alabama but looking to escape and travel through Europe once we land.
I've traveled a lot including overseas and am up for any adventure. I'm fairly low key and easy going but a hard worker. I"m female and 28 and in decent state.
Please contact me about whether or not this could work out as i'd love to start making plans ASAP since i've got a house/business i'll have to get taken over which shouldn't be hard.
Peace,
Lyndsey
Old 09-03-2011, 03:15   #11

Boat: Gib sea 43

Hope you fill your water tanks this time and dont rely on that dodgy watermaker...
Old 11-03-2011, 14:53   #12

Ahoy Again Mojomo:

I have sent a couple of emails in response to yours to crew in May. I have not received any replies.
Please advise if you still are looking at this trip or need crew.
Much appreciated
Jan from Canada
Old 24-03-2011, 17:04   #13

Hi I'm in St Maarten, actually at Barnacles writting this. I'm looking for a trip in early May, thats when my contract ends at a local dive shop. I have experience on sailboats and I've also made voyages on megayatchs. I'm looking to build up miles to finish my Canadian 500 ton masters.
Andre
Old 29-03-2011, 10:36   #14
mct

Ok, there's four us now, five would be best. Does that jgrant want to have another shot at emailing me? noteasytoremember at hotmail dot com. Three guys and one girl so nother girl would balance things up i spose but not a vital issue. Still planning to head out towards the end of that first week of May, 6th/7th ish i think. Crew get together would be earlier in the week, in time for serious bonding sessions (possibly in the bar...)
Old 29-03-2011, 10:40   #15
mct

hi gopali, flip me an email willya? I've not been on here for a while, mite be a bit late for you. noteasytoremember at hotmail dot com.

Tags
Caribbean, crew, Gibraltar, wanted, caribbean, gibraltar