Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2009, 09:04   #1

Boat: 42' Cascade Custom Cutter "Sanctuary"
To Sail Gulf of Mexico, Keys, Bahamas

In January/February 2010, I plan to leave the Panhandle of Florida, sail down the west coast of Florida, spend some time in the keys, then perhaps sail to the Bahamas. My return date is flexible, but no later than early May. For the past several winters my wife and I have made this trip (except for the Bahamas as my wife has been reluctant to cross the Gulf Stream).
This year, because of some surgery affecting her onboard mobility, my wife is unable to go. I am looking for a crew person, or perhaps two (non-smoker, male or female) to join me on a relaxed, little agenda, lots of laying-about cruise.
My boat is a 42' Cascade Custom (I built much of the boat myself) Cutter. Forward and aft cabins with heat/air-conditioning. Full electronics: autopilot, chartplotter, radar, AIS, Sirius Weather. Cockpit fully enclosed.
Basically, I will pay most of the expenses for the boat, but expect crew to pay own personal expenses and share food costs.
Old 23-12-2009, 10:53   #2

I am really new to sailing but if you don't mind teaching me as we go I would love to come. I am 24, female, and an ESL teacher, but I am between jobs right now and have always wanted to learn to sail and spend some time on the water but have never gotten the chance. A relaxed cruise for a few months sounds perfect, and your time frame fits my time frame. If you don't want to bother with an inexperienced crew, I will understand. Let me know- ej.lierl@fuse.net
Old 23-12-2009, 12:11   #3

Boat: 42' Cascade Custom Cutter "Sanctuary"
Crewing

Erin,
Your inexperience is not a problem for me. My wife, who usually sails with me, has been at it for 10 years and is still inexperienced simply because she does not want to learn. I am not complaining as she has been a real trooper about going with me, but this year her physical situation precludes her going.

I do not know what an ESL teacher is, but that is irrelevant, and I would be interested in pursuing the possibility of your crewing with me.

I am old, as you can see from my profile, so that may be an issue for you. However, I have as yet made few concessions to age. I still can manage the boat single-handed.

There is little fixed agenda for the cruise: leaving Jan/Feb 2010, returning no later than the middle of May. Since you are young, and have little sailing experience you may not know how boring sailing is. Nor how difficult life onboard a sailboat, heeled over 15 or so degrees and rolling with the waves, is. But if you love being on the water, with nothing in sight beyond the boat you are on, it is all worth it. And if you enjoy laying at anchor in some beautiful place with nothing to do but explore the surroundings, read books, and relax, then, again, it is all worth it.

Reply if you want to follow up.
Old 23-12-2009, 18:11   #4

I am glad to hear that my inexperience is not a problem. I am still interested-- don't get bored easily, don't mind rough conditions, love to read. I will be in New Orleans by early January, and I can come meet you and your boat in the panhandle any time after that. Let me know!
Old 24-12-2009, 09:10   #5

Daedalusk, Erin and others

There is a group of boats planning on meeting up in the Dry Tortugas around the last week of January. Just a very un organized get together. Not sure how many will actually show up, but it is so nice there it doesn't matter. Erin, there are several boats from the New Orleans/Gulf coast area planning on making it, and some wanting crew. Feel free to contact me after mid January. I will be back in Slidell then, and will have more info. available. Welcome to the board and the sailing community.
Old 24-12-2009, 10:39   #6

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
English as a Second Language
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 24-12-2009, 10:48   #7

Boat: Island Packet 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice N Easy View Post
There is a group of boats planning on meeting up in the Dry Tortugas around the last week of January.
Is it being discussed somewhere on this forum? I may be able to join. Have not decided yet between Dry Tortugas and Abacos for a two-week vacation.
Old 26-12-2009, 15:47   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Dry Tortugas meet-up: Is this an open CF invite, or a private get-together? If an open invite, we're thinking we'll be in the area about then and would love to get together with fellow CF members.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 18-01-2010, 10:44   #9

Boat: None
Hi
Are you still looking for crew?
I am in England, just been made redundant and plan to go to Florida to buy a boat to take to Belize via Cuba. I have completed a RYA Day Skipper Course last year 26x3hrs classes covering safety, navigation, weather, knots, signs etc etc, but have little practical experience - 2 days on a 38' Beneteau.
I'd love to join you for some or all of your trip to gain some practical experience and get to know the area before taking the plunge with/from my own boat.
I am 61, fit, ex-engineer in acoustics, practical in terms of cooking, electrics, engines, carpentry, sewing etc.

Look forward to hearing from you
Regards
Chris
Old 19-01-2010, 07:51   #10

Do you have any news on the Dry Tortugas meet-up, regarding people leaving from New Orleans who might be wanting crew? Thanks!

-Erin
Old 31-01-2010, 16:45   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to bonaterra
Hi,
Two very experienced sailors, now in Miami, I(55, Polish, Licenced Yachtmaster Offshore)and my friend (50,Polish, costal skipper) we are looking for trip from FL to Caribbean or other lacation. Available now! Shared expense is OK for us!!!
email: bonaterra@interia.pl
- Janusz
Old 12-02-2010, 16:03   #12

Location: Live (usually) Vermont/Portland OR- currently in Virgin Islands
Boat: not yet
My name is Colin, 22/M, from Vermont. I have just finished an epic cross country trip and now am posted up in portland with some friends tryin to figure out the next step for myself. My only one certainty is that i need to get on the open water. I travelled all last winter hitchin around the states and 2 months in central america, with the vauge idea of getting to panama to try and make a pacific crossing. Needless to say i didnt ( i had no desire to get stuck in Colon). I returned home to VT last summer and completed my ASA basic keelboat certification on Lake Champlain. I admit my sailing knowledge is limited, but i have a whole hearted desire to delve into the salty lifestyle, and i consider myself a very quick learner and hard worker. I have done a few bareboat charters in the USVI and BVI and one of the coast of Belize. These were family trips while i was younger so not much sailing knowledge was retained, besides the love of being on a small sailboat cruisin from island to island. I have spent much time in nature and wilderness, backcountry hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.. and have a good set of woodsman skills. I have no medical conditions, past or present, take no perscriptions, i do not get sea sick and have never broken a bone (good milk in Vermont, haha)
I have spent much time travelling, especially latin america and the caribbean, including spending a winter in St Thomas working as a maintence man at a resort. I have worked years in the construction idustry, including tlie work, painting and refinishing, basic carpentry, roofing etc.. I have also worked as a cook and managed a small pizza shop for 2 years. Also spent much time in farming/ horticulture, for work and personal enjoyment. I am a lover of life and the outdoors, i enjoy all the good things, fishing,camping/climbing/hiking,outdoor sports/ recreation, good people/women, cooking and good food, good brews, literature and music are two major players in my life which i love to share with all. I am an easy going guy with many aspirations but little worries, i love to laugh and enjoy life. I can also entertain myself , reading, playing music etc., which i believe is a good skill to have on a boat,hehe. I am very serious about getting on a boat with some like-minded folks and doing some sailing. I have enough cash for shared expenses(food, etc..) and am willing to go almost anywhere to join up. If you want some photos or references let me know. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

As a side bar, i am always looking for new possible crewing oppurtunities, whether it be an ocean crossing or a short cruising trip. Always looking to meet new peole and travel to new places for another adventure.
Cheers

Colin
Old 12-02-2010, 17:35   #13

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Colin,
I have to wonder how you managed all that in just 22 years. Good on ya. If you get to the Chesapeake area, look me up. I will be going to some of those places, that we all enjoy, soon. Fun and inspired crew is always welcome.
Tom
Old 16-02-2010, 14:17   #14

Location: Live (usually) Vermont/Portland OR- currently in Virgin Islands
Boat: not yet
Hey Tom,
Will definitely keep your contact info and get in touch if im in Chesapeake area sometime, always enjoy meeting like-minded folks(especially ones with boats, hehe)and planning new adventures. Hope all is well in the northeast. cheers

colin swellchaos@gmail.com

Tags
Bahamas, gulf of mexico