Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 10:30   #46

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Things you should know before volunteering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
My first piece of advice to inexperienced, new crew: avoid people who call themselves captain.

(I'm only half kidding ...).
No, you have a point; I can dig it.

Well.... my advice to the inexperienced new crews is to seek the professional delivery captain to shadow with.
Old 17-03-2016, 10:34   #47

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
As a old fart who occasionally takes on crew, if you came with that list to my boat- and would not check the boat out yourself but insisted that I answer you smartly and bring my boat into your specs, well you would find out what kinda of skipper I am. You wouldn't even have to leave the dock.
But if you were willing to check the rigging and suggest improvements on my boat, and you spoke from knowledge and not from what you read on the internet, then you would be thought of differently.
There are lots of drama Queens whom required lot of maintenance. No one needs that.
Old 17-03-2016, 10:40   #48

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Well.... my advice to the inexperienced new crews is to seek the professional delivery captain to shadow with.
Yeah, that would be a good way to start, but ... how can they tell if a delivery capt is really a professional? Not sure if the same in the US, but all it takes here to become a delivery capt is to put it on a business card

And I have no problem with delivery captains calling themselves just that.

My comment was directed at sailors / cruisers / boat owners who call themselves "Captain [insert first name]". Seen that more then a few times in crew wanted ads ...
Old 17-03-2016, 10:48   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when a boat owner calls self captain , i give huge wide berth.
i am not a captain, i never will be a captain. a captain earns in military or learns in kings point then has experience so he IS a captain. even to the hat. earned.
50 tonners are masters of 50 ton, not captain.
owners of boats, who actually manage the boat, are skippers.
me, i sail my home.
i generally find locals with the experience i require for my crew, as the english speakers are strange, and expect to be on a cruise ship, complete with servants, not have to help fix when they break stuff.
Old 17-03-2016, 11:06   #50

"Ah, but the strawberries, that's, that's where I had them, they laughed at me and made jokes, but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt, with geometric logic, that a duplicate key to the ward room icebox did exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't pulled the Caine out of action. I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officer. Naturally, I can only cover these things from memory. If I left anything out, why, just ask me specific questions and I'll be glad to answer them."

Oops, sorry, meant to start a new thread, not post in this one.

My bad
Old 17-03-2016, 17:29   #51

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffsguy View Post
Thanks for your insight and comments Lizzy Belle. It has been interesting observing the range of responses I have received to the original post especially where some people seem to have taken it very personally.

To make it clearer, the 'list' is an extract from a checklist I used on my own vessel which in turn was based on my experiences on other boats where things broke, malfunctioned, or were simply missing. I'm probably no different to other owners who make an effort and take pride in maintaining the seaworthiness of their vessel.

Regarding the question you asked about the fender boards Lizzy Belle I don't regard them as an essential item, they are just nice to have if you have space and intend travelling in remote places. With regard to water storage it is going to vary boat to boat - some have water makers, some have huge tankage, some have so little that a shower is a twice-a-week event. I just carry two extra jerries as backup, not for day to day use.

Thank you again for your comments and the positive contribution you have made to the discussion.
All good points as far as I can see.

Fender boards - just show the attention to detail of a skipper/planning ahead/care for his ship.
Ours stow vertically in the focs'l (just !). I hope never to need them, but they have been there since day one, and I have certainly used fender boards on another's yacht - without them, we could not have berthed in that town.
Old 17-03-2016, 17:39   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
My first piece of advice to inexperienced, new crew: avoid people who call themselves captain.

(I'm only half kidding ...).
I agree - and I'm not kidding at all.
Old 17-03-2016, 17:59   #53

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is Simple.. Stupid people die quicker..

Boatie.

Or we elect them to high office.
Old 18-03-2016, 03:15   #54

Boat: Amel Maramu 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
+1, So true.

A good skipper will gladly discuss any aspect of gear, route, or plans, including emergency procedures. Getting to know and trust the skipper is paramount. A great boat, with super gear, and a bad skipper...well, you've read my stories.
I'm really pleased to see the constructive comments that have been posted by CF members recently and am sure that newbies who dream of crewing will be better informed as a result.

The points you made Ham about a 'good skipper' are very, very relevant. I for one have never refused to listen to advice from anyone who is informed and knowledgeable about the subject at hand - even if they a new to sailing.

If a skipper feels he is above openly sharing information about his vessel, details of the passage, or his experience then it probably sends signals about how he is going to treat his crew during the trip. Yes, I've had others plead to take them on board my vessel because the boat were crewing on had continual breakages, the skipper had a foul mouth and was always raging at them, and they had been stuck at anchor in some places for days because the skipper didn't have money for fuel.

One further suggestion to offer aspiring crew is to have a chat with the marina manager (or office staff), or other boat owners near where the boat may be berthed or moored. While he/she/they probably won't disclose private information their responses will give a good indication of the reputation of the boat and/or the skipper ... if they haven't got anything good to say, be wary.

Thanks again
Old 18-03-2016, 17:46   #55

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Either way, as skipper or crew, keep your BS detector tuned up to HIGH. When it alarms, leave or get them off your boat. Really, your gut will warn you, you'll have some sense of unease, maybe niggling, but there. Heed it.

Sorry to post redundantly, but I think it's an important point.

Ann
Old 23-03-2016, 18:26   #56

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

After experiences as skipper with many crews: when I heard a from a prospective (may be) crew member when discussing the menus that she or he is vegan or vegetarian my inner alarm bell was ringing. These people have a too delicate palate and were not able to taste if an item after the best before date was still ok, w/o opening it they throw it over board or in the trash.
We never had issues aboard from rotten food but more with the separate cooking. So for me hands off.
Sorry Vegans and Vegeterians in the CF. I'm not a racist, I like to chat with a shore but aboard a boat we eat what the cook has prepared in the normally small pantry.
Fair winds
James
Old 23-03-2016, 18:52   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by onavegador View Post
After experiences as skipper with many crews: when I heard a from a prospective (may be) crew member when discussing the menus that she or he is vegan or vegetarian my inner alarm bell was ringing. These people have a too delicate palate and were not able to taste if an item after the best before date was still ok, w/o opening it they throw it over board or in the trash.
We never had issues aboard from rotten food but more with the separate cooking. So for me hands off.
Sorry Vegans and Vegeterians in the CF. I'm not a racist, I like to chat with a shore but aboard a boat we eat what the cook has prepared in the normally small pantry.
Fair winds
James
So ALL vegetarians have "delicate" palates? Any vegetarian raises your inner alarm? Sounds to me exactly like you are prejudging them before even meeting them.

On that basis I'm sure any vegetarian would be glad they weren't chosen for your crew.
Old 23-03-2016, 19:07   #58

Boat: Skookum 53'

I respect the vegan choice not to consume animal products, however I am not a vegan and neither is my vessel, either be happy with the food laid before you or cook your own, I don't intend to tailor my menu for two different boards of fare, and if you are on a mission to enlighten me to the error of my ways then save your breath and my time and don't come aboard.
Old 23-03-2016, 19:37   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I respect the vegan choice not to consume animal products, however I am not a vegan and neither is my vessel, either be happy with the food laid before you or cook your own, I don't intend to tailor my menu for two different boards of fare, and if you are on a mission to enlighten me to the error of my ways then save your breath and my time and don't come aboard.
Thanks for that. It's nice to see tolerance of others that might have a slightly different lifestyle than one's own.

Contrary to what some seem to believe, not all vegetarians are proselytizers out to save the world from itself. I know many vegetarians and a few vegans. The great majority, when dining with non vegetarians discretely choose non meat dishes and try their best to not make an issue of their choice.

Not to say that there aren't some that will preach but in my experience no more than the omnivores who are somehow threatened by the veggie and feel the need to challenge the other's choice.
Old 23-03-2016, 20:18   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

As a "captain" of any boat going offshore (yes that is a legal term) you need to demonstrate Experience, Commitment, Positive Attitude and Loyalty to any new Crew Member be they Volunteer or Professional....if you hope to enjoy each other on the passage.

Leading by example and having clarity of conversations .....is what it is all about .

That usually inspires reciprocal behavior from new crew members, who are there to become more experienced, while following your reasonable orders.

Those who denigrate the term "Captain" or insist on being called that, .....forget that it is best earned thru respect and only valuable when offered naturally.