Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 05:18   #1

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Stuart to Sarasota, FL - leaving Monday Dec 2nd

Hello forum! Continuing my trip, I'd like to find crew for a little 5 day trip form Stuart, FL to Sarasota, FL. It will be three days from Stuart to Ft Myers along the Okeechobee Waterway followed by a two day sail from Ft Myers to Sarasota. I'd like to leave on Monday, December 2nd, but Im flexible and could leave any time next week. Should be a fun time!

For details on the boat as well as my experience, please see my profile and if you're interested in coming, send me a PM or reply to this post, thanks!!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24   #2

Ok..getting a little desperate, I will pay expenses for anyone who can help me out with this.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Stuart to Sarasota, FL - leaving Monday Dec 2nd

My ears perked when I saw the orig/dest but drooped when I saw the route. Fishing thru sailfish alley is one of my favorite parts of that trip. Auto pilot? enclosed cockpit? FYI the outside trip (not the ditch) is great this time of year. You ride the northerlies to the south where winds generally have a more easterly component ride hawks channel downwind to 7 mi bridge, then the way back up is done between fronts when the winds are ne to e, Along the beaches its great sailing with ample winds this time of year and no seas. I just got in from a keys to tampa trip thursday. Kingfish and mackeral are thick right now.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46   #4

Well Ive heard quite the opposite actually, given the proximity to the gulf stream. Theres also 8' seas out there right now, hardly "none" haha. In addition, Ill be doing that route the opposite way in January.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:44   #5
cruiser

Ive been staying in charleston the last 4 or 5 summers and making the trek to the keys and tampa this time of year. i didnt go to charleston this last summer. It can get a bit rough in the atlantic part of the cruise but when it does its downhill usually. Last trip was done alone without an engine. Theres plenty of room between the gulfstream and coastline. My stops are typically lake worth, a small protected cove near stiltsville outside miami. Rodriguez key. boot key, the trip up fl is 2-3 days depending if gone thru or stopping nights. Most of the time I pull up to a beach to anchor as the prevailing winds are northeast.

theres nothing wrong with 8' seas downwind. My recent trip to the tortugas never saw seas below that height and it was beam sailing the whole way; The seas just mean theres plenty of wind to sail, beats the heck out of not enough.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKeddy View Post
Well Ive heard quite the opposite actually, given the proximity to the gulf stream. Theres also 8' seas out there right now, hardly "none" haha. In addition, Ill be doing that route the opposite way in January.
Bad info. Just got back from a fun sail 3-5 occasionally higher out to the180 foot line. Double reef and shorten the jib.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 01-12-2013, 13:08   #7

Sailing in downpours? Good times. I know 8' seas abaft the beam are nbd...I actually want to go through the Okeechobee Waterway believe it or not. Ive already made up my mind about the route. It also kinda chaps my bum regarding the responses I get on this site. Whenever I post saying Im going to do something, asking for crew or if anyone has the same plans I mostly get advice I wasnt asking for and criticisms about my decision. Thanks but no.
Old 01-12-2013, 13:13   #8
cruiser

Ok fine here, as I eluded to before a motor across the ditch doesnt sound appealing to me. I like to sail and fish, If you were taking the outside it may have been different depending on your boat. I didnt have one downpour the last part of october and whole month of november which i spent sailing around west florida and the keys. Lottsa wind and good sails though. Have a great motor!
Old 01-12-2013, 19:34   #9

Boat: American Tug
Sorry I can't join you but can't get away this week. We did the Okeechobee run last summer from St Augustine in our Bayfield 32C and loved it. Get in touch on this side if you like, we live in Punta Rassa and I spend most days working at the Fort Myers municipal marina.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:33   #10
cruiser

Ive read your blog, i can see the difficulties youve had on the way down and now realize your new to florida. A couple of kindly words of advice, If at all possible I would try to push your january trip to march or april if possible, It will be the difference between facing ferocious cold fronts with prevailing winds in your face and gentle southern breezes that are prevailing after the cold fronts lose their umph. For southern legs, crew and autopilot permitting, I jump out at the onset or before a cold front arrives. As you probably found out the winds die faster than they say they will and what is left is large seas and no wind which is the worst place to be, it does take a good autopilot or enough crew to make the shifts on the helm bearable as in the rough the helm can be a workout downwind. This is floridas dry season. Often there will be just an inch or two of rain per month in the winter.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
If you are delayed and still need help PM me and I may be able to help. Late seeing your post.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Where are u in Stuart?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33   #13

I'm looking to get to Tampa area by 12 Dec to obtain 100ton license. Let me know if you're still seeking help.

Tags
sarasota