Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2016, 18:41   #1

Stewardess-experienced

Stewardess needed for Memorial Day Weekend.
Out of Boca raton Fl, 112' private yacht.
Must have passport.
Serve breakfast ,lunch, dinner and clean interior.
Husband and wife with 3 daughters.
job starts next Wednesday and ends the following Tuesday.
Must be friendly and clean looking, no tattoos, none smoker.
Great crew already full time, family is extremely nice.
Please email back with resume.
Thank you
janicesheer@aol.com
Old 22-05-2016, 12:08   #2

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: Stewardess-experienced

Requesting a specific gender is almost certainly against current employment law. You may want to reword your ad.
Old 22-05-2016, 12:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Requesting a specific gender is almost certainly against current employment law. You may want to reword your ad.
My Flight Attendant girlfriend just cringed at the term "stewardess"
Old 22-05-2016, 14:07   #4

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
My Flight Attendant girlfriend just cringed at the term "stewardess"
Let her cringe Stewardess is a correct term. Stewardess for women, steward for men. It's like barmaid for women, barman for men etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul
Requesting a specific gender is almost certainly against current employment law
When my wife wanted a nanny she wanted a woman, and she made sure to word it that way. Kind of difficult to word it in any other way.

It might be against the law if government is the employer, but hardly if it is a private person. They don't provide a public service like government does.
Old 22-05-2016, 14:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
It might be against the law if government is the employer, but hardly if it is a private person. They don't provide a public service like government does.
As someone who has worked in recruitment for 20 years in the private sector you are wrong.
Old 22-05-2016, 15:26   #6

Quote:
As someone who has worked in recruitment for 20 years in the private sector you are wrong.
I would need a source on that one, I have never heard that a private person couldn't be gender specific when hiring. As I understood it OP has a private yacht, not a company. He has every right to advertise for a woman (stewardess) if he want's that. Would be rather bizarre otherwise.

Ninja edit.

As for a private business and government there's a huge difference. Government provides a public service - that's its job. A private business doesn't. Just like you can kick who ever you want out of your store, your store. You can also decline the business of whomever you want to decline, again, your store. Let me put it like this: Government is hired by the people to provide a service, the people doesn't hire private businesses to provide a service, though a private business may offer a service. Different dynamics, different rules.
Old 22-05-2016, 16:35   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Let her cringe Stewardess is a correct term. Stewardess for women, steward for men. It's like barmaid for women, barman for men etc.

When my wife wanted a nanny she wanted a woman, and she made sure to word it that way. Kind of difficult to word it in any other way.

Actually the correct term is now flight attendant. And "nanny" is now appropriate for both men and women. "Bar tender" is the term used for both men and women. And I believe "Steward" would be preffered on a commercial ship.

Im not trying to be rude, but your terms are 20 years out of date.
Old 22-05-2016, 17:02   #8

Quote:
I would need a source on that one
http://employment.findlaw.com/employ...-overview.html

You are simply wrong.
Old 23-05-2016, 01:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Actually the correct term is now flight attendant. And "nanny" is now appropriate for both men and women. "Bar tender" is the term used for both men and women. And I believe "Steward" would be preffered on a commercial ship.

Im not trying to be rude, but your terms are 20 years out of date.
Nope, I'm not 20 years out of date at all, I'm just using correct terms opposed to PC terms and soft language. Nanny is for women, barmaid and barman are very much still in use in the anglosphere, as are stewardess and steward.

You have hero for men, heroine for women etc etc, it is a linguistic thing. Some languages are richer than others.

You want example of soft language? Flight deck instead of cockpit, cockpit is still the correct term though. Regardless of whether you feel its 20 years out of date 40 years out of date what ever.
Old 23-05-2016, 01:57   #10

Quote:
No where does it say that a private person can't advertise for a woman and hire a woman as a stewardess on his own private yacht. Same thing when hiring a nanny, he is NOT running a business anymore a family is when they hire a nanny to look after their children.

For example;there are thousands of girls from abroad working as aupair / nannies each year.

On discrimination.
Look, there might be 20 girls applying for that job, but only ONE will get it, well that is discrimination against the other 19, why? Because they may all have the same qualifications. So how to chose without discriminating then? Oh my alert general you can't!

We always discriminate between things and people and at the end of the day we always notice the differences.
Old 23-05-2016, 03:19   #11

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

This thread reinforces my opinion that our entire world is going straight down the crapper. :/

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-05-2016, 03:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post
This thread reinforces my opinion that our entire world is going straight down the crapper. :/

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
When you can't even seek a stewardess for your own private yacht anymore without someone reacting we are in dire straits indeed.
Old 23-05-2016, 04:50   #13

Wow is someone extremely wrong about equal opportunity laws.

You make a gender specific selection openly and in writing and it is clearly against the law. Reality is for a one week gig on a private yacht, it's unlikely the authorities will get involved but doesn't mean it's legal.

Of course the way around it is to hint and then select for reasons other than gender and it just lucky circumstance that those reasons got you the gender of your preference.

Of course in the PC world, why can't a man claim to be a Stewardess. I do agree with PC destroying the language.
Old 23-05-2016, 06:33   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

I have got to agree with the guy who said "the world is going right down the crapper".
Really, who cares.
The reality is large yachts employ young 20 something attractive women and provide them with skimpy uniforms. I am in St Maarten where there are a lot of mega yachts and they all employ "stewardess" personnel all of whom are female and young, and attractive.
Changing the title of the job description is not going to change that.
I don't see how calling someone "stewardess" could be perceived as demeaning
it is the correct job title.
PC crap.
Old 23-05-2016, 07:09   #15

Quote:

A private business doesn't. Just like you can kick who ever you want out of your store, your store. You can also decline the business of whomever you want to decline, again, your store.
That doesn't sound correct, at least here in the USA. If what you say is true we wouldn't have these cases involving photographers, florists and caterers being sued for declining gay wedding clients.

However, it seems that a private yacht not offering public service would probably be able to hire whomever they want. Of course that might simply be too logical a concept for this brave new world we find ourselves in.

Wait, what about friendly, clean looking, no tattoos and non smoker? Quick, someone call the Feds.

Tags
enc