Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58   #1

St Thomas to experience sailing

Hey there cruisers, I'm John, and I'm looking to spend some time sailing. I don't mind where to, or for how long. My goal is just to gain enough experience that I can crew sailboats for pay, and/or sail my own boat some day.
Here's my story: Just over 4 years ago I bought myself an old Hobie 16' (with the classic Keoke brown, orange, and yellow sail pattern) and taught myself a few things about fixing up Hobie's. THEN I taught myself a little bit about sailing (haha, but really, repairing boats isn't as fun as sailing, but ain't that bad either). It didn't take long for me to decide I wanted to make sailing a much bigger part of my life. Fast forward to a month ago, and I had started the dream life learning even more about repairing sailboats, and a little bit about crewing boats too. I got my start helping out with a 39' sloop sailing around Puerto Rico (Fajardo, to Humacao, to Salinas, an attempt at St Croix, and then back to Fajardo for some more experience working on boats and prepping em for hurricane season). Now I'm in St Croix, helping some friends get an apartment ready to rent out and going on some occasional sails, and I will be heading to St Thomas in the next week or so to work through the hurricane season and network with some sailors.

As you can tell my experience is limited, but I'm working on it! I can help out with working on boats, I can clean all day, and I'm even a competent (not amazing... but competent) cook. As well, I have no problems with drugs or alcohol (my addiction is basketball, and the nba playoffs are over soon anyway).

So, if you're sailing around or through St Thomas and would like a hand for a day sail or longer, I'd be happy to help. Any advice on where to find sailing, or meet ups for some snorkeling or other activities are welcome as well.

Prosit!

John
Old 09-06-2013, 10:40   #2

Boat: Roberston & Caine, Leopard 47'
Re: St Thomas to experience sailing

Hi John,
I'm taking a 47' Leopard catamaran from Tortola to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of this week (June 14) Are you interested? email me. kiwi lyan at yahoo dot com