Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2013, 15:54   #16

Boat: Columbia 34 mk 2
Send a message via Skype™ to deventw
Re: St Petersburg to Ft Lauderdale

As stated in my original ad, I have to travel via the keys due to two factors, my draft as well as mast height both makes cutting across okeechobee impossible. Thus Marathon is the only option
Old 14-04-2013, 17:49   #17

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deventw View Post
As stated in my original ad, I have to travel via the keys due to two factors, my draft as well as mast height both makes cutting across okeechobee impossible. Thus Marathon is the only option
{sigh}

1. You must be referring to "short stop in ME" as there is nothing in your post to indicate which route you were intending. Just so you know, ME is not the abbreviation for Marathon (though it is for Maine) and it looked like a non sequitur.

2. Depth -- the channel depth is about 8'. Having done it about a year ago, I can say that's true for route 1, in fact the majority was 12'. There are two shallow spots towards Stuart.

3. Mast height -- unless you have a different mast, yours is something like a 48' air gap. The lowest point is 49. It that still concerns you there is a service that will heel your boat, and boats larger than yours, for a fee.

If you going via Marathon because you have a place you're looking to stop at, fine; not my concern. But you can easily make it otherwise.

Either way, have a safe trip.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 15-04-2013, 09:35   #18

Hello am very interested in being a crew member on your boat. I am 35 years and have many years experience in sailing and boating in general. I have always grown up being an a boat and am very versatile when it comes to repairs and problem solving.
Currently live in Florida and willing to travel.
I am a adventurous easy going personality that's energetic and doesn't smoke.
I look forward to hearing from u in the near future.
contact monty
truevibez@yahoo.com
Old 24-04-2013, 19:45   #19

Boat: 72 Coronado 35 Ketch

Willem
I have sailed from Charlotte Harbor to Marathon and from Key Largo to Melbourne at least three times in past 2 years. On my Coronado 35 Ketch, Shadowfax.

Depending upon your planned travel dates I can be available to help crew. I don't do drugs or alcohol at all. I have Sea Tow insurance which can be used on any boat I am on. My sailing experience is mainly Florida coastal waters sailing single handed.
I can stand watches, helm, navigation, have my own charts covering Florida, able to fix or jury rig from available materials, knowledge of diesel engines, electrical and some electronics.

Please let me know if you're interested
Old 24-04-2013, 19:55   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
{sigh}

1. You must be referring to "short stop in ME" as there is nothing in your post to indicate which route you were intending. Just so you know, ME is not the abbreviation for Marathon (though it is for Maine) and it looked like a non sequitur.

2. Depth -- the channel depth is about 8'. Having done it about a year ago, I can say that's true for route 1, in fact the majority was 12'. There are two shallow spots towards Stuart.

3. Mast height -- unless you have a different mast, yours is something like a 48' air gap. The lowest point is 49. It that still concerns you there is a service that will heel your boat, and boats larger than yours, for a fee.

If you going via Marathon because you have a place you're looking to stop at, fine; not my concern. But you can easily make it otherwise.

Either way, have a safe trip.

The 49' restriction depends on the overall level of the water, which can vary significantly. Personally I would not take my boat through there, because I wouldn't want to put the strain on my old rig just to get under a bridge. I'd love to take that trip some time -- on someone else's boat.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with traveling to Fort Lauderdale via Marathan. If you can, now is the time to go. The new FL 2013-2014 Cruising Guide just came out and you can probably find it at any West Marine. It will contain invaluable information no matter which route you take.

There's a great mooring field at Dinner Key. They have a shuttle service you can use to go to shore if you don't have a dinghy. They also have a dinghy tie-up dock, and a pump out service. The long span is from Ft. Myers/Naples to Marathon. You can pull in at Shark river if you HAVE to, but the no-seeums are already out, and unless you have full netting for your boat you're likely to be pretty miserable there. If you can, I'd just sail straight across.

If the poster above meant 8' in the Okeechobee Waterway crossing, I suggest you double-check that. I don't think you're guaranteed 8' of depth all the way. At one time the route that hugs the south shore of the lake was too shallow for a significant number of sailboats with the center channel being the better choice, but don't count on being able to sail as it is narrow. The wind would have to be pretty perfect.
Old 24-04-2013, 22:29   #21

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
The 49' restriction depends on the overall level of the water, which can vary significantly. Personally I would not take my boat through there, because I wouldn't want to put the strain on my old rig just to get under a bridge. I'd love to take that trip some time -- on someone else's boat.
I did, last year, from east to west, soloing from Stuart to Moore Haven on Tartan 30. That's 5 inches less draft. The I for a Columbia 34 is 13m; for a Tartan 30B is 12.65m with an 11" wind vane/lightning rod for a total of 12.94m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
If the poster above meant 8' in the Okeechobee Waterway crossing, I suggest you double-check that. I don't think you're guaranteed 8' of depth all the way. At one time the route that hugs the south shore of the lake was too shallow for a significant number of sailboats with the center channel being the better choice, but don't count on being able to sail as it is narrow. The wind would have to be pretty perfect.
Route 1 goes through the center of the lake, Route 2 is along the rim. Route 2 is the shallow one. Feel free to check the charts yourself along with USACE for current depths. Or, I can do it for you from the same site I referenced:
Quote:
U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, Jacksonville District
Lake Okeechobee and Vicinity Report
** Preliminary Data - Subject to Revision **

Data Ending 2400 hours 24 APR 2013
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Okeechobee Lake Regulation Elevation Last Year 2YRS Ago
(ft-NGVD) (ft-NGVD) (ft-NGVD)
*Okeechobee Lake Elevation -NR- 11.77 11.12 (Official Elv)
Bottom of High Lake Mngmt= 16.78 Top of Water Short Mngmt= 11.10
Currently in Water Shortage Management Band

Simulated Average LORS2008 [1965-2000] 12.54
Difference from Average LORS2008 -NR-

24APR (1965-2007) Period of Record Average 13.76
Difference from POR Average -NR-

Today Lake Okeechobee elevation is determined from the 4 Int & 4 Edge stations

++Navigation Depth (Based on 2007 Channel Condition Survey) Route 1 ÷ -NR-'
++Navigation Depth (Based on 2008 Channel Condition Survey) Route 2 ÷ -NR-'
Bridge Clearance = -NR-'
Now, again, I don't personally care what route he/they take. Both are nice. But what I am saying is not based on a vague "you should be careful, bad things might happen if someone is wrong" sort of thinking. Rather, it's based actually having made the trip, on a similar draft and air drafted boat, at about the same time of year the post was started.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 25-04-2013, 11:21   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to Du-Four

Hi deventw,

I am located in Ft. Lauderdale. Willing to help with trip. Very familiar with Columbia, used to own a 1968 36' Columbia. Great sailboat. Contact me via email
luisduprey@me.com and I'll provide all info as well as a sailing resume. Thank you .... Fair Winds ..!!!!
Old 29-04-2013, 12:49   #23

I just saw your post and I am very interested in joining you two as you sail to Fort Lauderdale. My name is Tobias Schmid. I am 23 and graduated from the University of Florida in 2011 with majors in Neuroscience and Spanish. I just got back home to Florida after spending the past year cycling through Africa from Istanbul to Cape Town.

After a year away from the water, I'm ready to get back to the life source and do some exploring along the coastlines. Although I have little experience sailing, I have spent my whole life by the water and I am comfortable on boats. I am a quick learner willing to use my enthusiasm to ensure that the boat runs smoothly and we arrive safely. I love surfing, diving, fishing, and adventuring through new places with fun people. I am easy to get along with and hope to bring an interesting flair while I work on your boat.

I live in St. Petersburg and can easily meet you to hop on the boat. Would love to join you two for your upcoming trip. Let me know if you want any further details and I look forward to joining your crew soon.

Best,

Tobias Schmid
Old 30-04-2013, 12:14   #24

I am very interested. PMed you!
Old 30-04-2013, 13:34   #25
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
I did, last year, from east to west, soloing from Stuart to Moore Haven on Tartan 30. That's 5 inches less draft. The I for a Columbia 34 is 13m; for a Tartan 30B is 12.65m with an 11" wind vane/lightning rod for a total of 12.94m.

Route 1 goes through the center of the lake, Route 2 is along the rim. Route 2 is the shallow one. Feel free to check the charts yourself along with USACE for current depths. Or, I can do it for you from the same site I referenced:

Now, again, I don't personally care what route he/they take. Both are nice. But what I am saying is not based on a vague "you should be careful, bad things might happen if someone is wrong" sort of thinking. Rather, it's based actually having made the trip, on a similar draft and air drafted boat, at about the same time of year the post was started.

Is there something wrong with telling people what to watch out for? Ultimately we decded not to take that route but I actively helped plan that trip not all that long ago. The water levels can fluctuate very significantly and it's really important to have current information. Sorry if I was "vague," but I don't think I said "bad things mithg happen if someone is wrong." I think most people know that if someone gives you bad information about anything, things can go wrong, whether it's sailing a boat or baking a cake. It was getting very accurate information that caused us to pick the route around the tip of Florida based on shortcomings the boat we were going to move had.

Lots of mosquito repellant needed at this time of year! The no-seeums are already out fiercely here, even in the middle of the day if the breeze dies down a little.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:10   #26

Boat: BOATLESS !!

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, are you planning to go via the keys or cut across Okeechobee?

I think the OP says...'via the keys'so I would take that as a sign that he won't be crossing Lake 'O'.........
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deventw View Post
I've done this route many times (plus 3 times through the lake) over the past 20 years and agree with you going via the Keys...BUT..do not cut through some of the possible passages to shorten the trip....apart from the disused 'old highway' overhead sections that are still standing, there are lobster pots EVERYWHERE and you will be steering port-starboard-straight-port-starboard-straight continually for hour after hour and still have no guarantee that you won't pick up a line that's hidden with a gently moving tide....
I was dumb enough to try cutting through Bahia Honda passage some years ago and nearly had my head crushed whilst cutting line from around one of my props as the boat rose up and down on the swells...
Old 01-05-2013, 03:26   #28

Quote:

I notice from the USACE report that the lake is;
Currently in Water Shortage Management Band..
in past years I have had put off or reschedule deliveries through the lake due to the closure and non-operation of the East lock (Port Mayaca) to avoid further water loss.....the rim route can be a pain due to the amount of bass boats and floating vegetation to avoid..
Old 01-05-2013, 16:28   #29

Hi, have crewed that trip several times each way ( Tartan 39' ketch; Jenneau 43')When do you plan to sail?