Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 05:36   #1

Southern ocean and south pacific voyage

Hi all,

The two crew that I had found for this journey have sadly had to withdraw for personal reasons, so I am looking for 2 crew for a journey.

Sailing from: Sydney, NSW, in September 2013 to Newcastle. Will stay there a few months, then leaving Newcastle in December 2013, via Lord Howe Island, to Nelson then Lyttleton in New Zealand. Leaving Lyttleton in March 2014 to sail via the "roaring forties" of the southern ocean, then north to Raivavae in French Polynesia.

From April 2014 to November 2014 will then be island hopping from Raivavae/Tahiti/Cook Islands/Samoa/Fiji and then on to Vanuatu.

CREW WANTED for some or all parts of the journey. IN PARTICULAR I am after 2 hardy and experienced crew to help me sail the boat on an adventure across the southern ocean, starting in Newcastle via Lyttleton to Raivavae. This part of the journey will be rough, and in parts cold and wet as we take on the roaring forties (although most of that will be down wind).

CHIARA STELLA is a steel cutter rigged vessel of 40ft on deck, with all of the safety features. Constructed in Holland in 1982 and refitted recently, I won't bore you with the details but it's a solid ocean going vessel having already circumnavigated twice.

PREFERABLY I am after a couple (genders not important, but having a couple on board will make the sleeping arrangements a bit easier) who believe they can handle the voyage from Lyttleton to Raivavae. Either side of that you're welcome to join in the Sydney to Newcastle leg or the Newcastle to Lyttleton leg, although if you were willing to tackle the southern ocean I can find less hardy crew for the shorter legs.

Respond here or email me directly: del at babel dot com dot au (and do the usual substitutions to turn that into a real email address).

1. Boat Name, Hailing Port, including country: CHIARA STELLA, Sydney, Australia
2. Type and size of boat: 40ft sailing vessel, cutter rig, steel hull.
3. Will the boat's owner be aboard (yes/no): yes
4. What is the relationship of the skipper to boat owner if owner won't be aboard (Relative/friend, Employee/delivery skipper): owner
5. How many other crew will be aboard during this passage: owner + 2, total 3
6. How many children will be aboard during this passage: none
7. Children's ages (infant through 18 y.o.): NA
8. How many pets (and type) will be aboard during this passage: 1 cat
9. Present boat location (Port including Country): Sydney, Australia
10. Starting point of passage advertised for crew: Newcastle, Australia or Lyttleton, New Zealand.
11. Approximate date trip will start (month/year): December 2013 or March 2014
12. Approximate length of trip: 4 months or 1 month.
13. Expected destination of trip: Raivavae, and then onwards to Vanuatu.
14. Duties crew member will be expected to perform: Sailing, watch-keeping, cooking, keeping own self safe and seamanlike.
15. Desired sailing experience level for crew member to already have: At least one major ocean passage.
16. Expected daily cost-share for trip (in US Dollar): From Sydney to Raivavae, nil, I will be covering all costs. From Raivavae onwards, shared food and beverage cost only (alcohol is at your own expense).
17. Skipper states that the expected daily cost-share stated is for FOOD only and doe not include fuel, boat operating costs, marina fees, or any other expenses of cruising nor for profit (yes/no):Yes